Sponsored

Tazer JL Mini - Dead Battery

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This might be a stupid question, but I'm sure I am not the only one who has wondered.
Do I need to remove (Physically) the connectors from my tazer and connect them as stock, or can I just unmarry the tazer? I dont want them finding the Tazer and screaming warranty void.
@aeonixx1001

Unless you reconnect the 2 connectors at the Security Gateway, the Stealership's, WiTechll will not be able to do it's thing when the Tech hooks it up to your JL.

Prudent Tazer JL owner, when taking a JL/JT into the stealership Service Dept. for Service, always, always, does an unmarry, removes the Tazer JL and then reconnects the 2 SGW cables.

To do as mentioned is done not just so the dealership Tech/staff do not see the Tazer JL and or that the WiTechll will not work.... but for other reasons also.. Anyway, always do as mentioned...

Sponsored

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
Question for the group. I've been having irregular dead batteries, or very near dead. For a few months it's only happened about six times total. I've been troubleshooting for a while and I believe it has to do with the taser not allowing the Jeep to go to sleep. When the Jeep is plugged in as stock the problem goes away. Believe I may have messed things up when taking the Jeep to the dealership for a update/ TSB. I've been having problems since then. Is there a way to unmarry and reset all the settings? And start from fresh? I also just recently updated the taser about 2 weeks ago.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Assuming you have new Batteries now. I just went through the same thing. Attach your Tazer and Unmarry it. Remove it and plug into the stock plugs. If you still have items working like your tazer is there. Mine was so dead that my Jeep acted like the tazer was installed, but it was disconnected and unmarried. After driving the jeep for a day plugged into the stock ports. I put the tazer back in Married it went through the set up (Again). Then I unmarried it and low and behold. It was stock city. And everything worked including ESS and TPMS ( dont know why it dropped off). Theres a nice side issue to this. I bought the tazer to basically disable the ess and set tire size. Well it does actually take the aux battery right out out of the picture. So its just sits there and goes dead. FYI.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL Mini - Dead Battery 1644238441415

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming you have new Batteries now. I just went through the same thing. Attach your Tazer and Unmarry it. Remove it and plug into the stock plugs. If you still have items working like your tazer is there. Mine was so dead that my Jeep acted like the tazer was installed, but it was disconnected and unmarried. After driving the jeep for a day plugged into the stock ports. I put the tazer back in Married it went through the set up (Again). Then I unmarried it and low and behold. It was stock city. And everything worked including ESS and TPMS ( dont know why it dropped off). Theres a nice side issue to this. I bought the tazer to basically disable the ess and set tire size. Well it does actually take the aux battery right out out of the picture. So its just sits there and goes dead. FYI.
What the...?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Do what I did, get a Smart Stop/Start module for ESS if that’s your thing, mine has been in for several years and works perfect then get JSCAN and make what ever changes you want from the host of all it has and be done.

Don’t get me wrong the Tazer offers a lot and support is top notch but all this marry/change/unmarry stuff is just to much to keep up in.

Also if your having battery issues don’t instantly just to point out it’s the Tazer as there are a host of other things that affect batteries like proper charging, battery age and a little device called the IBS which I have disabled.

For me since disabling the IBS my charging system has be a lot more stable.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do what I did, get a Smart Stop/Start module for ESS if that’s your thing, mine has been in for several years and works perfect then get JSCAN and make what ever changes you want from the host of all it has and be done.

Don’t get me wrong the Tazer offers a lot and support is top notch but all this marry/change/unmarry stuff is just to much to keep up in.

Also if your having battery issues don’t instantly just to point out it’s the Tazer as there are a host of other things that affect batteries like proper charging, battery age and a little device called the IBS which I have disabled.

For me since disabling the IBS my charging system has be a lot more stable.
Same for me--dumped Tazer for JCAN. I never liked the idea of the requirement of having something attached "permanently", the fact that it does not write the changes into the PCM, AND there is the whole marry/unmarry BS that returns all of the settings to OEM when you do it.

With that said, you need to have a good quality OBD2 scanner IF you are going to leave it connected for JSCAN. Some of the cheaper units "wake up" and can drain your battery as well. @WranglerMan - what did you do to disable IBS?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Same for me--dumped Tazer for JCAN. I never liked the idea of the requirement of having something attached "permanently", the fact that it does not write the changes into the PCM, AND there is the whole marry/unmarry BS that returns all of the settings to OEM when you do it.

With that said, you need to have a good quality OBD2 scanner IF you are going to leave it connected for JSCAN. Some of the cheaper units "wake up" and can drain your battery as well. @WranglerMan - what did you do to disable IBS?
I have several OBDII BT modules and even the pricier ones I never leave plugged in, I just keep one in my center console.

There really is no reason to leave one plugged in all the time since there are no live features like the Tazer unless you count the Trail View which I played around with but it’s no off-road pages 😆

For me and my setup since I run the dual Genesis battery setup I was having some random issues with battery protect mode and this may be due to the fact the IBS is connected to the aux battery and since the Cole Hersey really opens and closes based on the smart relay it gets confused on charging so after I did some testing and talked with Jerry about this the options are to move the IBS to the main battery but I found the IBS disable setting in JSCAN and opted to disable the IBS rather than move it for a test and after I did I still have the smart alternator feature but the IBS is not visible since JSCAN tells the PCM/ECM it’s not there and the error messages went away and my batteries charge smartly like it always did.

Its also possible that the IBS can have issues since one of its functions it is to wake up at a predetermined time to check battery health and if it determines that voltage is getting critically low it directs the ECM/PCM to power things off but if the IBS has issues it can keep waking up more than it’s supposed to and cause the battery to drain prematurely.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL Mini - Dead Battery BCEBBCD9-69F3-4B00-B40F-52B45669592C

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have several OBDII BT modules and even the pricier ones I never leave plugged in, I just keep one in my center console.

There really is no reason to leave one plugged in all the time since there are no live features like the Tazer unless you count the Trail View which I played around with but it’s no off-road pages 😆

For me and my setup since I run the dual Genesis battery setup I was having some random issues with battery protect mode and this may be due to the fact the IBS is connected to the aux battery and since the Cole Hersey really opens and closes based on the smart relay it gets confused on charging so after I did some testing and talked with Jerry about this the options are to move the IBS to the main battery but I found the IBS disable setting in JSCAN and opted to disable the IBS rather than move it for a test and after I did I still have the smart alternator feature but the IBS is not visible since JSCAN tells the PCM/ECM it’s not there and the error messages went away and my batteries charge smartly like it always did.

Its also possible that the IBS can have issues since one of its functions it is to wake up at a predetermined time to check battery health and if it determines that voltage is getting critically low it directs the ECM/PCM to power things off but if the IBS has issues it can keep waking up more than it’s supposed to and cause the battery to drain prematurely.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL Mini - Dead Battery BCEBBCD9-69F3-4B00-B40F-52B45669592C
Thanks for the settings; I'll add them to my collection.

For the OBD module "waking up", that was for the OP in case they weren't aware.

loracekim

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I had similar issues with a dead battery and was sure I was doing the Full Reboot correct, But even the directions supplied have 2 slightly different versions on how to do it. I had to replace my battery once (although I believe it was dead not just from the Mini-Tazer, but the goofy battery system Jeep has now.) So I deleted my aux battery. But even after that I had to jump start on 3 different occasions after sitting overnight. The reason was the dash lights where not completely shutting down. So I learned to watch it standing outside the door after parking . It was not a consistent problem so I go a few weeks between before it would happen again. So I reached out to support and Scott was very helpful. I updated my firmware agian and will try it again. but wanted to make sure I was doing the reboot correct and here's a summary on what I was told is needed. It sounds like you do NOT need to leave the vehicle and walk away with the key fob, like some have been suggesting. Although I suspect that would not hurt to do it.

After making all of your changes, scroll to “full reboot?” and “select” it.
• After the countdown which takes 2.5 minutes to complete – Uconnect will reboot twice, the dash will reset, and when it’s finished, the red security dot on the dash may turn on, Once it is complete perform two sleep cycles.
• The quickest way to perform the sleep cycles is to turn the ignition off, open the driver’s door, close the driver’s door, and wait about 60 seconds AFTER the dash goes dark (all the screens to go completely black and my Aux USB port lights up.), turn the ignition back on (but not the engine),wait for all the systems to fully come on to a steady state (not initializing) give it 1-2 minutes, . . Do this twice.
• This step is critical after changing settings or settings might not save or you may find that the dash doesn’t shut down, which can result in a dead battery

I'm sure most of you understood the directions but the underlined wording is added to help clarify it more.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I had similar issues with a dead battery and was sure I was doing the Full Reboot correct, But even the directions supplied have 2 slightly different versions on how to do it. I had to replace my battery once (although I believe it was dead not just from the Mini-Tazer, but the goofy battery system Jeep has now.) So I deleted my aux battery. But even after that I had to jump start on 3 different occasions after sitting overnight. The reason was the dash lights where not completely shutting down. So I learned to watch it standing outside the door after parking . It was not a consistent problem so I go a few weeks between before it would happen again. So I reached out to support and Scott was very helpful. I updated my firmware agian and will try it again. but wanted to make sure I was doing the reboot correct and here's a summary on what I was told is needed. It sounds like you do NOT need to leave the vehicle and walk away with the key fob, like some have been suggesting. Although I suspect that would not hurt to do it.

After making all of your changes, scroll to “full reboot?” and “select” it.
• After the countdown which takes 2.5 minutes to complete – Uconnect will reboot twice, the dash will reset, and when it’s finished, the red security dot on the dash may turn on, Once it is complete perform two sleep cycles.
• The quickest way to perform the sleep cycles is to turn the ignition off, open the driver’s door, close the driver’s door, and wait about 60 seconds AFTER the dash goes dark (all the screens to go completely black and my Aux USB port lights up.), turn the ignition back on (but not the engine),wait for all the systems to fully come on to a steady state (not initializing) give it 1-2 minutes, . . Do this twice.
• This step is critical after changing settings or settings might not save or you may find that the dash doesn’t shut down, which can result in a dead battery

I'm sure most of you understood the directions but the underlined wording is added to help clarify it more.
Help! My dash never stays completely dark after the first sleep cycle. It keeps cycling back on after a couple of seconds.

Any suggestions? My battery will drain after a while.

Sponsored

loracekim

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reach out to support they are helpful.
But I had a similar situation and in frustration unplugged it. Then started the jeep. It started. I then turned it in and off back to start/ run several more times to cycle the computer. It seemed to work but depending on where it hung up in your situation may loose settings etc. So not sure I would recommend it. I was in a pinch, headed to work.
Try support first. After I did the above it drove fine so I then started completely over with the program and reboot and it seemed to work. Never hurts to make sure the unit has latest software update if u unplug it. Good luck.

loracekim

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention. In this situation, If u already backed up factory settings.I would NOT do it again since it will rewrite the corrupt new program over the factory backup. Since u are just unplugging it does NOT reset it back to original factory.
I just plugged it back in and started at the reprogramming and then rebooted as above. In my case the backup was still safed from the first time I did it. Good luck.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Forgot to mention. In this situation, If u already backed up factory settings.I would NOT do it again since it will rewrite the corrupt new program over the factory backup. Since u are just unplugging it does NOT reset it back to original factory.
I just plugged it back in and started at the reprogramming and then rebooted as above. In my case the backup was still safed from the first time I did it. Good luck.
Thank you. I just unmarried, unplugged the Tazer and replugged into the SGW module. The sleep cycles did not complete and I still don't know why. At least the dash stays dark now. I have no idea what settings are now in the computer but at least I can use the Jeep.

Thanks again.
Sponsored