Tazer JL Mini Issues

Ranger2992

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Hi all - New to the forum. I searched and didn't find an answer to my question, so I'll throw on out there.

I have a 2021 Rubicon Unlimited with the 3.0 ecodiesel. I was told the only programmer that works with the diesel is the JL Mini, so I picked on up. I got it yesterday and attempted to hook it up and was disappointed to find it didn't work.

when I got the programmer, I updated it to the newest firmware and headed for the Jeep. I finally found the right plugs and installed it. My Jeep would not power on and had very limited power. No lights or anything. I disconnected it and everything worked fine.

I did a little troubleshooting and found with both plugs installed, it won't work. I tried it with one plug removed and I got all power back, but no access to the set up screens. At this point I'm real frustrated and need some help. Is there anyone on here with the ecodiesel and the JL Mini who can help me?

Thanks,

Joe
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hi all - New to the forum. I searched and didn't find an answer to my question, so I'll throw on out there.

I have a 2021 Rubicon Unlimited with the 3.0 ecodiesel. I was told the only programmer that works with the diesel is the JL Mini, so I picked on up. I got it yesterday and attempted to hook it up and was disappointed to find it didn't work.

when I got the programmer, I updated it to the newest firmware and headed for the Jeep. I finally found the right plugs and installed it. My Jeep would not power on and had very limited power. No lights or anything. I disconnected it and everything worked fine.

I did a little troubleshooting and found with both plugs installed, it won't work. I tried it with one plug removed and I got all power back, but no access to the set up screens. At this point I'm real frustrated and need some help. Is there anyone on here with the ecodiesel and the JL Mini who can help me?

Thanks,

Joe
@Ranger2992

Not sure what is going on with your Ecodiesel and the Tazer JL Mini.....

I do know quite a few guys are running the Tazer JL Mini with their Ecodiesel... Little hiccups have been reported in regard to the Tazer JL Mini and the Ecodiesel...

Reach out to Joe, the owner pf ZAutomotive... Be sure to tell him you have a Mini, running on an Ecodiesel and do mention all that is going on..

TEXT, Joe at 631-533-3363

-Do not call this text support line which is for text only.. and ask in your text how to do... Even on weekends and nights and all, Joe usually gets back to you in short order..

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

I’d reach out to the retailer that sold you the Tazer. They should be able to guide you.

Good luck.

OP
OP

Ranger2992

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks for the response! I sent a text to that number and it comes back with an automatic "STOP" for a response.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response! I sent a text to that number and it comes back with an automatic "STOP" for a response.
@Ranger2992

I just texted Joe with the number I gave and Joe replied within 20 seconds.... You may have typoed the number... DO text him again. TEXT, Joe at 631-533-3363

Joe, just texted me back again and said to tell you try again, he is waiting on you.... 8-)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ranger2992

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks I did have the wrong number. Sent a new text. Just waiting for reply

OP
OP

Ranger2992

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I talked to Joe. I have a dead short in the unit. They have to send me a new one 😩

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I talked to Joe. I have a dead short in the unit. They have to send me a new one 😩
@Ranger2992

Joe, texted me back 8-) and told me he hooked up with you.... and that your Tazer Mini needed to be replaced and...... that he was sending you a new one right out...

Not real common that one shows up DOA like that... think I have only read on the forum about 3 times....of that happening, in almost 3yrs....

ZAutomotive was "First to Market" with a programmer for the JL.... almost 3 yrs. ago now.. 8-)

Djhyper66

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine last week. I have a regular Jeep jl sport. It wouldn’t start because I didn’t let the system reboot after making my setting corrections . But it was user error for myself .

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought, may not apply to you. I connected mine when I first got it and when I went to turn my Jeep on, the radio wouldn’t turn on and it didn’t allow me to see any of the menus for the Tazer. Unplugged the jeep worked fine. Come to find out, one of the plugs wasn’t seated all the way in.

May not be your problem but just a thought. Mine has a tendency to stick when getting those plugs in but once seated it works great.

Good luck though, it’ll be worth the wait for the new one.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ranger2992

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I will double check. I tried plug and unplug many times but you never know

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I just received my tazer. I uploaded the firmware and noticed that mine already says married. Is it supposed to be unmarried before I plug it in for the first time. This was one of the refurbished models.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Well, the refurbished one did not work. Ticks me off as I purchased this for a trip this weekend. Their customer service will not speak with you on the phone so you have to send an email, what for a response and then try to troubleshoot it that way. Not sure why someone could not pick up the phone and speak with me as this process took two frustrating hours in the driveway only to figure out that the "refurbished" unit was bad.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the refurbished one did not work. Ticks me off as I purchased this for a trip this weekend. Their customer service will not speak with you on the phone so you have to send an email, what for a response and then try to troubleshoot it that way. Not sure why someone could not pick up the phone and speak with me as this process took two frustrating hours in the driveway only to figure out that the "refurbished" unit was bad.
@JeepinJason

Over the last 3 years, most guys here have ranted very very positively about Joe's, text support of the Tazer JL.

Joe is very quick to respond to texts...

Personally, I prefer texts over emails...

ZAutomotive is a very small operation so he can't just answer the phone and give support... Often he is programming... deep chitt into a firmware thing and well, can't stop all and answer the phone.

Also, was mentioned prominently in the ad for the refurbs.... that there may be an issue and to be aware of that prior to purchase..

Reality is new or used unit, chitt can happen... a DOA unit, etc... I know, ZAutomotive, sold over 116 Mini refurbs and a bunch of original Tazer JL refurbs and so far you are only the 2nd to post here having an issue with the refurb.

Anyway, my comments are mine as what I just said is not from Joe at ZAutomotive... It is a shame you got a bad unit but chitt happens..... get with Joe and he will get youy going..

DO text Joe and get the help you need.. TEXT, Joe at 631-533-3363
Do not call the #. Text only. Joe will get you squared away fast via text.... undoubtedly way way faster then by emailing back and forth.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

@JeepinJason

Over the last 3 years, most guys here have ranted very very positively about Joe's, text support of the Tazer JL.

Joe is very quick to respond to texts...

Personally, I prefer texts over emails...

ZAutomotive is a very small operation so he can't just answer the phone and give support... Often he is programming... deep chitt into a firmware thing and well, can't stop all and answer the phone.

Also, was mentioned prominently in the ad for the refurbs.... that there may be an issue and to be aware of that prior to purchase..

Reality is new or used unit, chitt can happen... a DOA unit, etc... I know, ZAutomotive, sold over 116 Mini refurbs and a bunch of original Tazer JL refurbs and so far you are only the 2nd to post here having an issue with the refurb.

Anyway, my comments are mine as what I just said is not from Joe at ZAutomotive... It is a shame you got a bad unit but chitt happens..... get with Joe and he will get youy going..

DO text Joe and get the help you need.. TEXT, Joe at 631-533-3363
Do not call the #. Text only. Joe will get you squared away fast via text.... undoubtedly way way faster then by emailing back and forth.
I did text and did not get a quick response. You seem to be really close to the company with your immediate knowledge on each sale right after purchase. If Joe can reply back to you after each sale, he or someone from the office could have called me.

It took two days of emails back and forth to get it fixed. First problem was it was still married. While I understand they are a small company, a quick phone call to a frustrated customer would have gone a long way. I did express concern prior to ordering the refurbished unit and was told that they were all tested. The delay was not worth the savings, lesson learned.

They are sending me a replacement unit which I appreciate. Hopefully this unit works.
Sponsored

Last edited: