Tailgate reenforcement for 33" Tire

bipock

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I upgraded my stock 18" Duelers to 17" Gladiator takeoffs with Falken Wildpeaks (285/70/17 C rated). Finally, got the spare mounted on the wheel last Saturday, threw it on the factory spare tire carrier and the tailgate wouldn't shut. I am assuming that this is due to the tire weight, which is about 90lbs or so. That said, I've seen a lot of discussions where Wrangler owners haven't upgraded their stock setup and have no problems with their tailgate closing when going to bigger tires.

1. Should I need to do some sort of spare tire bracket or tailgate reinforcement or am I doing something wrong?
2. If I do need to make a change, what do I need to change?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
My Rubicon came stock with Falken Wildpeak M/Ts in 285/70/17 LRC and had no issues with the tailgate.

Have you watched the tailgate close while inside the Jeep to see if it is not aligning? Unless you are going to go to a larger tire, you should not have to install any reinforcements.

You may have to adjust the tailgate stop up or down to fix the alignment. These provide a tighter fit:

https://smile.amazon.com/Johntruck-Aluminum-Tailgate-2018-2022-Accessories/dp/B09PYCJWFQ/

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate reenforcement for 33" Tire 61eLxqB0h7L._AC_SL1500_

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

1. Should I need to do some sort of spare tire bracket or tailgate reinforcement or am I doing something wrong?
2. If I do need to make a change, what do I need to change?
I don't think weight is your issue. I upgraded to 33 inch tires on my 2020 Sport Altitude. The wheel (same as 18" Sahara wheel but in black) and tire combo fit on the tailgate, but the bottom right of the tire rubbed the bumper.

I installed a spare tire relocation bracket and that fixed the issue.

OP
OP

bipock

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
My tailgate literally shifted down and wouldn’t align. Almost thought I should check the attachment bolts and make sure they are tight.

bllprk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WK CRD
My tailgate literally shifted down and wouldn’t align. Almost thought I should check the attachment bolts and make sure they are tight.
So weight wise you should be completely fine. 1. Yes, check to see if the tire hits the bumper. If not then 2. If in fact the tailgate shifted, then your 4 bolts holding the hinges to the tailgate may have slipped. Its odd that this could have happened. Look for signs of unpainted tailgate around the hinges. They did not paint under the hinges, so you will see a metal looking surface peaking out around the edges of the hinge. If its out of alignment, you will need to re-align it. Its kind of a pain. But I would remove the tire, then loosen the 4 hinge bolts (on the tailgate, not the tub) and re-position everything (the tailgate) so it opens and closes properly. Then tighten and add your tire back on. You may have to repeat.

Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Sounds like something is loose or misaligned on your swing gate, either in the hinges or latch. I would remove the tire and align the swing gate and tighten everything.

Doesnt seem like that tire would “require” a new mount. However, Ive had swing gate issues with past jeeps so I ordered and installed a Rusty’s tire carrier right from the start. Glad I did.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just put a 38" on and my tailgate dropped like a mofo, I've got reinforcements. I'm dreading adjusting the thing again.

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
I have 2020 JLU Sport that I have 17x9 wheels and 285/70/17 AT3 Toyos, just under 90 lbs, no rubbing, seems pretty solid. Wheels do have -12 offset which helps prevent any rub on the bumper.

EE66EAEF-B291-42A1-A5BE-D6514E56C0B7_1_201_a.jpeg

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That’s exactly what you need to do, loosen the bolts and realign for the new weight. No need to buy anything.

OP
OP

bipock

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
That’s exactly what you need to do, loosen the bolts and realign for the new weight. No need to buy anything.
Adjust the bolts under the plastic in the back? I think there’s 2-3 per hinge.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Adjust the bolts under the plastic in the back? I think there’s 2-3 per hinge.
Or the ones that hold the hinges to the tailgate. I loosened those torx bolts, gently closed the tailgate with a shim underneath, and retorqued them. Everything lines up perfectly now.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The reinforcement "upgrade" isn't for the hinges, it's for the tailgate. So, a reinforcement shouldn't be necessary. Relative to the tailgate shifting with the additional weight, you have a wheel and tire combination that is basically stock. Something else is amiss.

OP
OP

bipock

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Found the culprit. Getting hung on the top of the bumper. It fits, but not if I tighten it down. Guess I’ll find a relo plate that lifts it 2.5” or so.

CBEC0000-0ABE-4DDF-991E-2891F1E06F39.jpeg