Tailgate noise

Hdravesky

First Name
Heather Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have a stock Rubicon JLU and the tailgate has started rattling when I drive over bumps. It's driving me crazy. Anyone else have this problem?

I had someone sit in the back to try to pinpoint the noise while I was driving and all we could tell is the noise is coming from the latch area (driver's side). I thought it may have been the hard top, or the seat belt or something plastic but no. It sounds like it's coming from inside the tailgate.

It started after I washed/detailed the Jeep. I didn't take anything apart or adjust anything, just wiped the area down with Armorall wipes. That said, I did install a Mopar tailgate table about a month ago but It feels really solid and doesn't budge at all or make any noise whatsoever. Super solid.

I think i'm going to take into the dealership in a few weeks when I'm back from a work trip. @JeepCares

I have the same issue and had the same issue on my 2017 wrangler. They replaced my latch twice and the issue did not go away. Iā€™ll be taking my Jeep in to the dealership to diagnose the noise as well as, try and fix the death wobble I have. Iā€™ve already had my stabilized replaced. Itā€™s always something LOL

JLsJL

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
I have a stock Rubicon JLU and the tailgate has started rattling when I drive over bumps. It's driving me crazy. Anyone else have this problem?

I had someone sit in the back to try to pinpoint the noise while I was driving and all we could tell is the noise is coming from the latch area (driver's side). I thought it may have been the hard top, or the seat belt or something plastic but no. It sounds like it's coming from inside the tailgate.

It started after I washed/detailed the Jeep. I didn't take anything apart or adjust anything, just wiped the area down with Armorall wipes. That said, I did install a Mopar tailgate table about a month ago but It feels really solid and doesn't budge at all or make any noise whatsoever. Super solid.

I think i'm going to take into the dealership in a few weeks when I'm back from a work trip. @JeepCares
Just had the same issue detailed mine got a tailgate noise. While cleaning mine I removed a ā€œold piece of tapeā€ off of the tailgate near the latch. After a couple hours of working on different things with nothing fixing it I cut some vinyl and put back in the spot I removed it from and bam no more noise.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have the same issue and had the same issue on my 2017 wrangler. They replaced my latch twice and the issue did not go away. Iā€™ll be taking my Jeep in to the dealership to diagnose the noise as well as, try and fix the death wobble I have. Iā€™ve already had my stabilized replaced. Itā€™s always something LOL
Remove the crappy piece of plastic over your jack - that was the source of all my swing gate / rear rattles - I did a lot of investigating and removing panels - I thought maybe my jack, tire iron was rattling around and when I checked it was good, I forgot to put the cover back in place and drove it this week no more rattles

0192D074-498D-4F44-969F-443A68AD17CF.jpeg

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
tailgate.jpg
louvers.jpg

The exterior vents to the outside of the jeep may be rattling, too. The vent is located behind the plastic panel on the tailgate and has louvers that close when the pressure inside the cabin is equal to the outside. I noticed when the A/C is on recirc I can hear the louvers rattling when i drive over bumps, but when it isn't on recirc and the louvers are held open by the air pressure, there is no rattle. Something else to check.
I believe this is exactly what I hear. I removed the rear panels from the tailgate and when driving down the road, I hear the continuous flapping of the vents. Its LOUD without the panels on and sounds exactly like what I hear.

1. If I crack the window, the pressure changes and the annoying noise stops. The flaps remain closed unless I turn vehicle and pressure chances or I hit some sizable bumps.

2. With the windows up, and the AC off, there is still some positive pressure but not enough to hold the vents open continuously so this increases the flapping sounds.

3. If I run the AC wide open, the vents stay open and the sound is gone.

Its SOOOOOO annoying and I may try to re-engineer a solution that's not as noisy.

Sponsored

Maui808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I Armor All'd the plastics and any rubber seals near the tailgate last night and when I was going to work I heard creaking from the tailgate. I thought the tires were gonna fall off. I even checked the backup camera to see if there was shaking. Nope. Afte looking around I noticed this tape was pushed aside probably from the Armor All. After moving the tape back to the bottom..voila! The noise was gone. I have leftover clearvinyl protection sheet that I will use if this one goes. I'll drive around after dinner to see if this problem is solved.

IMG_20190422_201924.jpg

Maui808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I Armor All'd the plastics and any rubber seals near the tailgate last night and when I was going to work I heard creaking from the tailgate. I thought the tires were gonna fall off. I even checked the backup camera to see if there was shaking. Nope. Afte looking around I noticed this tape was pushed aside probably from the Armor All. After moving the tape back to the bottom..voila! The noise was gone. I have leftover clearvinyl protection sheet that I will use if this one goes. I'll drive around after dinner to see if this problem is solved.

IMG_20190422_201924.jpg

Yeah..this was the cause. Fixed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Maui808

Please don't use ArmorAll on your JL. It's bad stuff... :puke:

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon

IMG_20190422_201924.jpg
Mine just started rattling after lubing this area with silicone because the door was sticking. Really bizarre.

Jzapatajr

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I wiped down all the seals with a damp microfiber towel and then applied some garage door lube (best thing I had on hand) with a paper towel. All my creaking noises from the tailgate are now gone. Soo much better!!

Sponsored

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
I had a creaking/rattling noise from the driver's rear corner in my JLUR that I was also able to narrow it down to the tailgate door striker/latch area. I adjusted the striker on the body (two T45 torx bolts) using this video as a guide:
I also lubricated the striker and door latch with a dielectric grease and the noise was gone.
Holy crap, not my tailgate but passenger door has been tormenting me. read your post and 5 minutes later loud squeak gone. thank you.

FlCrkr

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2dr Sport S
I have tailgate wobble, mine is from putting 35" on it, I bought the lift, wheels, tires, and tailgate tire mount for my Jeep at time of purchase, purchased the mount at the recommendation of the dealership, now my tail gate wobbles while driving over the smallest bumps.
I can lift the tire up causing the wobble as well. Spoke to the dealer and they said, yea you need to buy the reinforcement kick from Mopar, never was recommended at purchase. Not happy now I have to buy this separate instead of it being installed at time of purchase, Jeep is less than a year old.

JeepersCreepersMT

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate noise IMG_20190422_201924
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate noise IMG_20190422_201924

The exterior vents to the outside of the jeep may be rattling, too. The vent is located behind the plastic panel on the tailgate and has louvers that close when the pressure inside the cabin is equal to the outside. I noticed when the A/C is on recirc I can hear the louvers rattling when i drive over bumps, but when it isn't on recirc and the louvers are held open by the air pressure, there is no rattle. Something else to check.

JeepersCreepersMT

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Have a "rattle" coming from the plastic panel on the tailgate. Driving us F-ing nuts. Sat back there the other day and the entire plastic panel is vibrating. I pressed on it and the "rattle" disappeared. Interested in knowing how you got your panel off so we can try and fix this.

2021 JL Rubicon

DKAwildcat

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara, 2008 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, & 2015 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
I believe this is exactly what I hear. I removed the rear panels from the tailgate and when driving down the road, I hear the continuous flapping of the vents. Its LOUD without the panels on and sounds exactly like what I hear.

1. If I crack the window, the pressure changes and the annoying noise stops. The flaps remain closed unless I turn vehicle and pressure chances or I hit some sizable bumps.

2. With the windows up, and the AC off, there is still some positive pressure but not enough to hold the vents open continuously so this increases the flapping sounds.

3. If I run the AC wide open, the vents stay open and the sound is gone.

Its SOOOOOO annoying and I may try to re-engineer a solution that's not as noisy.
This is an old thread and I hope The Wingman and Fudgepoop are still around and can tell me what they did to solve this tailgate vent rattle. My rattle began immediately after having the hinge corrosion repaired on the tailgate (as well as all four doors, hood, and front fenders). My tailgate rattle is exactly as described above and it stops when I open a door, open a window, pick up speed, or turn the vent fan on high. Iā€˜ve zip-tied all loose wires/cables in case it was them, but I now know thatā€™s not the problem.
Sponsored