Sponsored

JL Wrangler (mystery) Rattling Noise with Acceleration

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S - 2 Dr
Hello,

I have over the past few weeks noticed a rattling noise coming from my jeep. I have been unable to locate the noise and had a buddy do a ride along to try and pinpoint it. He is a JK owner and has never heard that noise profile before in his life.
It seems to be coming from the drivers side right at the wheel well or below the jeep. I have been unable to locate any other posts or videos about this noise after researching for weeks, until now (link below@ 8-9 second mark).

Link:

It seems I am not the only one having this issue, has anyone else found the source of the noise or heard of a wider problem? The occurrence of the noise in the video is the same for me as well more or less.
Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone knows anything.

General info: Jeep JL 2dr Sport S / 3.6L / Automatic
Sponsored

LTLWLLY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy's JLU Hellayella
I just heard this noise on mine last night. I was trying to figure out where it was coming from. It happens when I’m going pretty slow and press the gas to accelerate a bit. I’ll call my brother and complain to him about it to see if he has any idea. :LOL:

I need to make an appt for my chirpy brakes so I’d like to have an idea of what this is before I take to dealer so I know what to have them check.

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sounds to me like the infamous ball joint click. Common issue. I never noticed mine until wife drive JLUR one day and I heard it. It’s a series of quick clicks that randomly happen. Usually turning wheel.

Easy fix. Just tighten ball joint nuts on front wheels as they are loose. Usually is bottom ones. Both of mine were hand tight once I got the cotter pin off. Cranked down a little more than spec and no more click. Lots of info here. Just search ball joint and or click.

OP
OP

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just tighten ball joint nuts on front wheels as they are loose. Usually is bottom ones. Both of mine were hand tight once I got the cotter pin off. Cranked down a little more than spec and no more click.
Hello and thanks for the reply,
I will check that out but from everything ive read/watched online it doesnt seem to be the issue. It doesnt come from turning the wheel or adding/applying pressure to the wheel.
The noise doesnt come unless your going above 30+ MPH with a 2K+ RPM. Direction of travel has no impact. Which is why im leaning towards it not being a ball joint issue.

OP
OP

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just heard this noise on mine last night. I was trying to figure out where it was coming from. It happens when I’m going pretty slow and press the gas to accelerate a bit. I’ll call my brother and complain to him about it to see if he has any idea. :LOL:

I need to make an appt for my chirpy brakes so I’d like to have an idea of what this is before I take to dealer so I know what to have them check.
Let me know if you get any info!

Sponsored

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yeah I was going on what I thought were clicking noises in video. Mine were low speed but did it in straight line. I think I now hear clicking noises in my sleep. Lol. Funny thing is when you crank down the ball joint nut, it makes the clicking noise. Certainly doesn’t hurt to check it if you’re handy with a wrench as it’s a common issue and and easy fix. Good luck.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I had one of the flag nuts, that hangs down from the frame, vibrating against the frame and making a noise like that. Repositioning them a tad so they aren't contacting metal to metal did the trick. Not sure if that's your problem but might be worth looking at.

OP
OP

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I was going on what I thought were clicking noises in video. Mine were low speed but did it in straight line. I think I now hear clicking noises in my sleep. Lol. Funny thing is when you crank down the ball joint nut, it makes the clicking noise. Certainly doesn’t hurt to check it if you’re handy with a wrench as it’s a common issue and and easy fix. Good luck.
Hello,

So I was driving around the other day, I noticed the noise only happens with acceleration. Kind of makes me think that its not related to the ball joint nut. Am I wrong? I finally have time this coming week to really snoop around the jeep. I will take a look at your theory though.

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had a push clip come of of the fender inner splash shield and the shield would occasionally rub on the tire. Faster speeds might flex the shield into the tire from the air passing under the vehicle.

LTLWLLY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy's JLU Hellayella
Hello,

So I was driving around the other day, I noticed the noise only happens with acceleration. Kind of makes me think that its not related to the ball joint nut. Am I wrong? I finally have time this coming week to really snoop around the jeep. I will take a look at your theory though.
My brother thinks maybe it is a heat shield? I drove mine the other morning to take my daughter to field hockey and I couldn't get it to duplicate the issue on the drive there, but on the drive home (after jeep was warmed up) I could get it to make the noise.

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
there are also the quick checks that you'll find in other older threads...

1. If you're running the freedom panels, then the nipples that fit into the holders near the windshield are know to rattle. Some tape around them to tighten them up will fix it. The noise from these can bounce off the windshield and sound like they're coming from the dash.

2. The fluid bottle near the driver side heat shield in the engine bay can rattle. A zip tie around it to snug it against the metal bracket will fix the issue.

3. There's a knob on the center console that has been shown to get rid of the various rattling noises when turned to the right, but many use it as a last resort.

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
If the noise is only happening upon acceleration when the rpm's are between 1500 and 2200 or so, it could easily be knocking that many have reported. You can find lots of threads on it on the forum.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
IS this the sound?

This is engine knock. Jeep says its normal. It doesn't do this all the time. I just learned to live with it.

OP
OP

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS this the sound?

This is engine knock. Jeep says its normal. It doesn't do this all the time. I just learned to live with it.

Wow, kinda shocked this is normal? As a first time Jeep owner im wondering what I got myself into haha.
Thanks for the info!

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I had this as well a couple times, each time it lasted about a day, then it just stopped and haven't had it again in months. It almost sounds like a tiny exhaust leak or something, but like you only happened when foot is on the gas and under load.
Sponsored