Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I finally finished this install up today. A big thanks to all the others on this thread for the tips!

Popping off the wire cover on the tailgate glass and running the cable up through a small hole I cut made for a very clean install. Then I fished it through the top and down and out with the other cables.

I opted to hard wire to the rear power outlet and add a rocker switch as others did. After I made my own wiring harness out of extra parts from my Rigid lights, I went to test it all and blew the fuse. I was banging my head over how I could have wired it wrong. I knew it was right, but it wouldn't work. Unfortunately I doubted myself for quite a while until I could get a new switch sent out.

I'm very happy with the results!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light IMG_3375

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light IMG_3376
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light IMG_3377
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light IMG_3378
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light IMG_3380
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light IMG_3381
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light IMG_3382
Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Are the posts if the switch labeled? You might have the ground on the wrong side. The switch itself may not be grounded correctly. Do you have a test light? I would pull the switch and test it's operation with some jumper wires using the car's battery or another 12v DC source. I have a Power Probe, kind of a pro's tool and little expensive, but once you own one, you'll never want to be without it.
I just left it. I don’t care if the switch lights up as long as the light works. Lol

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ‘20 Grand Cherokee White; ‘12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
Thanks, @Magnetdragon! Your post inspired me to take this on. I really like the idea of the switch but also wanted to utilize the dimming functionality of the LED light without having to use the remote. I ended up purchasing a twist dimmer and wired it up to the 12V outlet similar to your install. Really pleased with how it came out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light 21010066-7CA4-493A-B5EF-C1A93889649D

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light 5A1E785C-2C79-4D30-B7D3-61FDE940B655

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
sorry for beating a dead horse :computerrage:

if I ended up getting a lighted switch & didn't really care about the light in the switch, which terminals would I connect to what?..I've seen several of the non-lighted flush switches, but they're mostly in the smaller (12mm) range & I'd prefer the 19 mm size...which only seem to come in lighted

anyone want to take a quick measurement of the recessed rectangle below the 12V plug?

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I used a 19mm switch, lighted. If you snap a picture of the wire diagram for the switch, I'm sure we could help you. I decided to go further up for mounting so it will not be blocked by luggage and the like. I got this idea from another forum member. He did a great write up for the Oracle light, but it would be the same for the brawlee as well. The tread is here.. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-cargo-area-lighting-upgrade.43200/page-4

I put my switch here.

IMG_20200530_160600 (1).jpg

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Thanks, @Magnetdragon! Your post inspired me to take this on. I really like the idea of the switch but also wanted to utilize the dimming functionality of the LED light without having to use the remote. I ended up purchasing a twist dimmer and wired it up to the 12V outlet similar to your install. Really pleased with how it came out.
does the dimmer turn it completely off or did you also add a switch ?

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Analyst
does the dimmer turn it completely off or did you also add a switch ?
Yes, the dimmer turns the light on/off with it going to the lowest light output when turned on. No other switch is necessary.

There is an audible click when first twisting the dimmer which is the on/off. Once it clicks on, it’s a smooth rotation all the way to max brightness.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light A61B08D5-4AB2-4B3E-9921-53582911D815

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Brawlee LED light A61B08D5-4AB2-4B3E-9921-53582911D815

where did you pick up dimmer switch? Link?

Sponsored

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Analyst

neeesack

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I see a "green bridle" on your picture. Is it because you also (like me) broke the weak fixation of this big connector?

I get annoyed with these "modern" connectors studied to be broken if we don't find immediately how to disconnect them ! it was so much easier to get my YJ

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
The Brawlee light is a wonderful alternative to the Oracle light that is double the cost. The Brawlee light is extremely bright and wires up and fits quite nicely.

I got mine on Amazon and have had it installed for a little over a year now, still works great.
Light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KNM7Y2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KA4FLHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was amazed at how bright the light is, it comes in quite handy when I'm loading/unloading in the dark.

Shoebox303

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JLU Rubicon 392

I just ordered this same switch for my install. Looks like it has three wires - black, red, white. So, do I connect the black to ground, red to the supply (cigarette lighter), and white to the Brawlee light? Thanks!
Sponsored