swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think they ever provided instructions for that. Look back on the first page of posts on this thread there are some good diagrams that people provided, thats how I did mine.
Yeah I'm starting to think I watched a video on it and misremembered. Thanks! Switch enroute. This things great. Must have mod.

I had to install it using a flashlight my lights are so dim.. then cranked it on and had to turn it down to not blast my neighbors windows.
Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Brawlee sent me the instruction manual, they're great to deal with. Here it is if anyone else needs it.

Edit: Oh, be aware that they've probably updated the product a few times if not more, so they might be less specific to your install

Attachments

Last edited:

JRod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the switch today. I used the quadratec wire tap (https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl) and a switch from Amazon (Ulincos Latching Push Button Switch U19C1 1NO1NC SPDT ON/Off Black Metal Shell with Red LED Suitable for 19mm 3/4" Mounting Hole (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KP67GI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rhBoEbM7WCMCP). The switch needs this harness (Ulincos NOT FIT U19D1, 19mm Pigtail, Wire Connector, Socket Plug for U19C1 Push Button Switch (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H5BXC0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_liBoEbS92DHNY).

Wiring was pretty simple with the harness. If you want the switch lit up when the light is on, connect the blue and red on the harness to the red wire on the quadratec harness, and the black on the harness and the black from the light to the black on the quadratec harness. The white from the switch harness goes to the red on the quadratec harness.

The red and blue wire from the switch harness goes to the red wire for the light (sorry, forgot to get a picture.)

I used a step drill to make a 3/4" hole for the switch. I did not use the led controller.

20200204_123452.jpg

20200204_120924.jpg

20200204_114858.jpg

20200204_130935.jpg

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the switch today. I used the quadratec wire tap (https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl) and a switch from Amazon (Ulincos Latching Push Button Switch U19C1 1NO1NC SPDT ON/Off Black Metal Shell with Red LED Suitable for 19mm 3/4" Mounting Hole (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KP67GI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rhBoEbM7WCMCP). The switch needs this harness (Ulincos NOT FIT U19D1, 19mm Pigtail, Wire Connector, Socket Plug for U19C1 Push Button Switch (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H5BXC0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_liBoEbS92DHNY).

Wiring was pretty simple with the harness. If you want the switch lit up when the light is on, connect the blue and red on the harness to the red wire on the quadratec harness, and the black on the harness and the black from the light to the black on the quadratec harness. The white from the switch harness goes to the red on the quadratec harness.

The red and blue wire from the switch harness goes to the red wire for the light (sorry, forgot to get a picture.)

I used a step drill to make a 3/4" hole for the switch. I did not use the led controller.

20200204_123452.jpg

20200204_120924.jpg

20200204_114858.jpg

20200204_130935.jpg
Nice install, you may want to find something to soften the end of that cut tie strap…

Deleted member 29417

Any ideas for mounting this with a soft top? I used my hard top September - May but it would be nice to use it for camping trips over the summer. I saw someone posted an image with the light mounted on the tailgate. Thoughts?
Any Luck mounting this with the Soft Top?

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
yes, exactly

There are 2 wires going into the cigarette lighter (in the diagram below its the "power supply). The black ground wire gets tapped into and goes to both the switch ground and the light.

The other wire gets tapped to your switch.

Then the red wire on the brawlee light gets connected to the third point on the switch.
So I wired my Oracle tailgate light exactly how you illustrated using the same rocker switch. Light came on, I flicked it off & on and it worked fine. I wanted to make it nice & neat so I disconnected everything, rewired it all, and.....nothing. Tried a different switch, still nothing. Reconnected the cigar lighter, plugged in the light, & still nothing.... fuse is good.

I checked the ground with a multimeter & it bounced around. It seems as though the ground is no good now. The ground near the battery terminal seemed fine. I checked the power from the 12v terminal and it doesn't seem to have any. What in tarnation could have happened?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
So I wired my Oracle tailgate light exactly how you illustrated using the same rocker switch. Light came on, I flicked it off & on and it worked fine. I wanted to make it nice & neat so I disconnected everything, rewired it all, and.....nothing. Tried a different switch, still nothing. Reconnected the cigar lighter, plugged in the light, & still nothing.... fuse is good.

I checked the ground with a multimeter & it bounced around. It seems as though the ground is no good now. The ground near the battery terminal seemed fine. I checked the power from the 12v terminal and it doesn't seem to have any. What in tarnation could have happened?
Is it possible you didn't splice a wire together well and that the connection is loose?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible you didn't splice a wire together well and that the connection is loose?
I used Posi-taps to avoid clipping the lighter connector, but it looks like I'm gonna have to cut the dang thing off to know for sure. The strange thing is, the cigar lighter has no power.

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Anyone have any advice on how to remove the plastic trim piece on the window glass to hide and run the wire behind? Thanks

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any advice on how to remove the plastic trim piece on the window glass to hide and run the wire behind? Thanks
Use a plastic trim-remover tool thingy. He starts about te 8:15 mark here > > >

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Anyone have or can draw a quick wiring schematic to tap the 12v cigarette lighter with a lighted switch?

Thanks in advance

fyr145

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Public Safety - (ret.)
Vehicle Showcase
I used Posi-taps to avoid clipping the lighter connector, but it looks like I'm gonna have to cut the dang thing off to know for sure. The strange thing is, the cigar lighter has no power.
If the lighter itself has no power, you might want to check the fuse (20 amp yellow) itself first before cutting. I believe its fuse location # 45. I don't remember, but I did this Brawlee tailgate lightbar awhile back and had to move the fuse over to the constant hot side (#43 position) from the intermittent side(#45) of the socket where the fuse goes in at. Also, get a meter and check the fuse as well for continuity. Get a flashlight and look directly down at the place where that fuse goes into and you'll see there's a way to insert the fuse over a bit. (I did a write up on this issue of power on another site.)
Sponsored