Swap for D44 front or beef up D30?

Little Ruby

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
@crackrk I am currently running a 2019 JL sport with a 6-speed manual, a 2/2.5in Rock Krawler lift, with 35s. Currently, 6 gear is completely unusable as I have yet to regear but it's being planned. I am also having the same debate as you on the front Dana 30, but I believe I've decided to just beef it up with some RCV axles and better gearing. I think beefing it up will fit my needs as this is my everyday driver and I only take it out on the trails like every other weekend.
Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
@crackrk I am currently running a 2019 JL sport with a 6-speed manual, a 2/2.5in Rock Krawler lift, with 35s. Currently, 6 gear is completely unusable as I have yet to regear but it's being planned. I am also having the same debate as you on the front Dana 30, but I believe I've decided to just beef it up with some RCV axles and better gearing. I think beefing it up will fit my needs as this is my everyday driver and I only take it out on the trails like every other weekend.
are you sticking with 35s?

I’m on 35s with 4.56 6 speed. Its a good set up, 37s and 4.56 on the manual probably wouldn’t be as ideal

Little Ruby

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
are you sticking with 35s?

I’m on 35s with 4.56 6 speed. Its a good set up, 37s and 4.56 on the manual probably wouldn’t be as ideal
Yes sir, that’s the plan with this Jeep. I’d absolutely love to have 37’s but I just don’t see it happening with the Axles I currently have. I think 35s will do everything I need and I’ll have to keep that In mind, I may regear to 4.56. Do you have any issues with your setup?

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Not sure what gears you want to get to...but those RCV shafts alone get you halfway to a Rubi crate 44 (locked, 4.10s...) you can bolt in.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Been deep down this path...adding RCV's + regearing a d30 axle is a hefty $2200 ish investment and its still not locked and you're still wheelin on a weaker d30 ring and pinion. Rather than dump $2k+ into a d30, it makes alot more sense to sell it for $1k and swap in a takeoff rubi axle that you can likely find for $2500. You gain a stronger ring & pinion, wider, locker and peace of mind knowing many have been wheelin 37s on them without issues. :beer:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Yes sir, that’s the plan with this Jeep. I’d absolutely love to have 37’s but I just don’t see it happening with the Axles I currently have. I think 35s will do everything I need and I’ll have to keep that In mind, I may regear to 4.56. Do you have any issues with your setup?
Yeah, the manual with 35s and 4.56 is perfect.
Wheel pretty hard but being opened helps not break anything.
My gears were only 1500 installed, then I trussed and C gusseted the dana 30
Myself so $200 ish.

35s work for me, 37s would be nice.

next is im waiting for OX locker to release the rear locker, I’ll install that, another 1500 but its okay putting it into the 44 as ill only upgrade the front

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
6th gear is completely unusable right now. Maybe I can shift into it going downhill with a tailwind at 75mph. I’d like to get it back. Plus crawling would be better with higher gears.
Technically you want lower (numerically higher) gears.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I run 37s on the D30. I plan on running 37s on the D30 until it pukes the gears out. At that point I will probably regear.
Unlike other vehicles I have owned where the higher trims are completely upgraded vehicles (different engine, transmission, suspension, electronics)ie m3 to 3 series, the rubicon is just a few overpriced addons here and there, same drivetrain (minus axles and front brakes) same electronics, almost identical suspension. You can do better than trading it in and just build yours to the same specs or better.
You already figured it out but the elitist here will just tell you “sHoUlD hAve bOuGhT a ‘cOn”. Just do what makes more sense to you.
That 2k d44 without brakes is overpriced. I’d just wait for the novelty to wear off and prices to drop once more used ones hit the market.
The gears will be the last thing to break on that axle. You’ll twist shafts and bend the tubes way before doing any damage to the diff.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
The gears will be the last thing to break on that axle. You’ll twist shafts and bend the tubes way before doing any damage to the diff.
I disagree, if its open diff i think it will last if he is soft on the skinny pedal.

the housing is the same as rubicon and they don’t bend all that often on 37s
Open wont break too many shafts but yeah the gears and shaft are the weak link compared to the rubi axle

OP
OP
crackrk

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Ended up regearing to 4.56 and keep the d30 for now. I plan on upgrading to 35’s and sticking with that for now. Real happy with the 4.56’s. Runs great with the 6-speed.

Sponsored

DillitheJL

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
I did this not to long ago ditch the D30 there a waist of money I wouldn’t even recommend a Rubi dana 44 it’s trash to my story did a fully built D30 because I tried to save money 4.88 gears locker rcvs hole 9. Trashed the Pinion gear in GA that took out a ring gear and elocker spider gear so I decided to build a JLU axle geared it stock locker stock axles wheeled it for 6 months or so did great and last month I was at winrock and the front axle slipped of a rock and trashed the FAD cracked the housing jeeps down again no I’m tossing buying the Currie or a UD44 leaning more towards the UD44 because of it being a Direct Bolt in the HD60 would need steering and a driveshaft especially Currie rasied the prices 1000 dallers witch makes them the most expensive option now for front axles

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
I have been running 35's on my TJ for 20 years. Warn hubs 4.56 axle ratio and a Detroit locker on my Dana 30 front axle. All these years and no issues. I understand the new Dana 3o's are stronger than mine. I say re gear to 4.56 and stick with the D30 unless your budget permits otherwise.
Sponsored