roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I thought I saw milling cutter marks on the inventor's part photo? Looked CNC ish.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

I thought I saw milling cutter marks on the inventor's part photo? Looked CNC ish.
@roaniecowpony

I did see some very slight marks in the pics too... his pics in the ad are poor.

I'll see for myself ... Iwill post decent pics here when the one's I ordered show up in a few days... The USA guy's offering is returnable..

With the Chinese knockoffs, I would be very concerned that the thin molded plastic they are made of will not handle temperature extremes.. and that will be an issue with them.

---Also, there is a disclaimer on the Chinese knockoffs ad that says something like,there may/will be color discrepancies with the product.. Usually Chinese sent hardware (metal screws) is poor poor also... Chinese eBAY ad, says absolutely no returns of the product....

-----------

About Delrin® Plastic that the USA, manufactured, visor clip offering are made of...

"Delrin® acetal homopolymer (Polyoxymethylene POM) is the ideal material in parts designed to replace metal. It combines low-friction and high-wear resistance with the high strength and stiffness such applications require. It provides a wide operating temperature range (-40 °C to 120 °C) and good colorability."

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've machined a truckload of Delrin in a past life. It was popular with the race guys for suspension bushings in track cars, but it had to be replaced often in that application. It should be great for this little function.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@roaniecowpony
@blnewt
@RubiSc0tt
@others wanting to know

I just reached out to the seller and asked about the milling cutting marks you mentioned .... I also mentioned to him that his pics of the offering in the ad were poor...

Here is the seller's response:

"Our pics are not the greatest and now I can’t even change them... On the actual production run….we deburred the edges and then tumble them in a stainless steel media…..they come out as a matte finish…..much nicer than the pics."

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The manufacture builds tactical gun gear.

He's also a jeep guy and built these to solve his own issues.

I have zero concerns over quality. I use some other stuff from them and it's all good.

https://taccom3g.com
Yup, that is him... He has a good reputation.... very solid offerings.. Exc. Customer Service..

Very communicative.... Gives a dam lets say.... and a fellow Jeep (JT) owner.

He has been very patient with all my questions... he replies promptly...

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like these are worth ordering, and would be cheap insurance. Especially for those of us that haven't broken our visors...............yet.

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
I just ordered as well. New issue for me, but not going to deal with the dealer. Will report back.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I just ordered these, Amazon, the USA ones.
I repaired my drivers side Visor,figure this will ensure they both stay up. These should be from the factory, a nice contract for the US seller.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@four low
@azbobver

Here is a very good pic of the Manufactured in USA, offering installed.... was posted in another forum thread.. will get and install mine tomorrow... Will post pics here also...

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix qqq

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
@four low
@azbobver

Here is a very good pic of the Manufactured in USA, offering installed.... was posted in another forum thread.. will get and install mine tomorrow... Will post pics here also...

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix qqq
@Rhinebeck01 I'm thinking of ordering these myself. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get to test them out. While I am inclined to think they will work well (especially for those that have not YET broken) I had 3 questions/comments.

1. Wouldn't they be better if they were made from steel instead of plastic?

2. Does the longer replacement screw have the same thread pitch as the original, or is it inconsequential? It does appear to be a different replacement screw. I'd rather not bugger up the original threads on the receiving end!

3. And lastly, I like the design as it is mostly hidden. I do wonder if the vendor considered having it attach (anchored) on both sides of the visor hangar instead of just the one. (there seems to be a screw on both sides if I am looking at it correctly). I would seem that there would be a lot of force/leverage on this plastic reinforcement part if (and when) the top of the visor gives up the ship! Having it anchored also by the opposing screw on the other side of the anchor points might make this bullet proof. I do realize it would have to be redesigned to be longer and still be able to slide around the swivel of the sunvisor, but I do believe that would be feasible -especially since it is plastic and could possible snap into place. Make sense or am I overthinking it?

I figured I would direct these questions to you since you have already been in contact with the vendor. I do think it is a worthwhile acquisition and I am grateful that they developed these to solve what Jeep should have.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have.

-Rockhopper

*I have this posted on the other thread as well.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 I'm thinking of ordering these myself. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get to test them out. While I am inclined to think they will work well (especially for those that have not YET broken) I had 3 questions/comments.

1. Wouldn't they be better if they were made from steel instead of plastic?

2. Does the longer replacement screw have the same thread pitch as the original, or is it inconsequential? It does appear to be a different replacement screw. I'd rather not bugger up the original threads on the receiving end!

3. And lastly, I like the design as it is mostly hidden. I do wonder if the vendor considered having it attach (anchored) on both sides of the visor hangar instead of just the one. (there seems to be a screw on both sides if I am looking at it correctly). I would seem that there would be a lot of force/leverage on this plastic reinforcement part if (and when) the top of the visor gives up the ship! Having it anchored also by the opposing screw on the other side of the anchor points might make this bullet proof. I do realize it would have to be redesigned to be longer and still be able to slide around the swivel of the sunvisor, but I do believe that would be feasible -especially since it is plastic and could possible snap into place. Make sense or am I overthinking it?

I figured I would direct these questions to you since you have already been in contact with the vendor. I do think it is a worthwhile acquisition and I am grateful that they developed these to solve what Jeep should have.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have.

-Rockhopper

*I have this posted on the other thread as well.
@Rockhopper

This vendor has heard so much from me this past few days that he is probably saying.... oh my, not him again... The vendor has been patient with me and a good communicator and very forthcoming.

I will keep your ? in mind when I do the install... when I get the offering which should be tomorrow..

I am curious in regard to the quality of the screws that will be sent... I already plan to use some cellophane over the tip of my Phillips head that I install with so as not to bugger up the heads of the screws..

I have been led to believe the screw is similar to the stock screw but longer.. The screw screws into a female that is metal...

I asked about using Loc-Tite ... manufacturer of the offering said it was not needed/necessary..

As for metal versus plastic in regard to the offering.... the black delrin, they are made of (Lazer cut black delrin) is very very stout... Known to deal very well with both high and low temps.. It should have no problem doing the intended job.. For sure I want the black delrin versus the flimsy molded ABS that the Chinese knockoffs are made from. I would rather not have metal.

As for your "comment".... I'll have to look at the offering once installed but I do think this simple approach offering will be all that is needed... I also think it will do the deed both as a repair and as a preventive thing..

Time will tell...... Hopefully, someone that installs this offering does not come back and say their visor(s) still broke.... For sure even the most stout visor can be broken if you man handle it or sic a kid or Wife on it.. 8-)

Reldn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Rubicon, '22 4Runner TRD Pro, '22 Ram 1500
Received my set today and got them installed.

The install is dead simple and they lock tightly around the post on the visor. There is an audible click when they attach. It is a rock-solid hold. Fingers crosses they work as advertised, but, I think they should definitely do the trick.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix PXL_20211209_184841615

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix PXL_20211209_185154970
Sponsored