Sun Visor Fix

Cjkinwi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks for the DIY! I fixed my driver's side today using a 5/16" 2 piece plastic shaft collar (https://www.ruland.com/msp-5e-p.html or https://www.grainger.com/product/RULAND-MANUFACTURING-Acetal-Plastic-Shaft-Collar-30VN41) to avoid having to mess with the wiring or worry about arcing or anything, and it worked out really well. Thickness wise it pretty much matched the height of the shoulder, so I just ground that down a little past flush with a Dremel, clamped it on, and reinstalled everything. Works like a dream now!
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It might be worth noting that the Visor frame has been redesigned for the 2021 model year. Maybe that improved version could be retrofitted for the older flawed design, by the Dealer. I've done the repair for the driver side, but will request the new part replacement for the passenger side. My plain Sport has no wires to the Visor, a much simpler DIY, those with wires , ask for the new improved version !
I read of the redesign of this, and a water - intrusion fix for the front doors when opened in the rain on the 2021 models, but didn't mark the post , sorry

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I’ll be joining this DIY repaired visor club this weekend. My driver side one is broken and I’m gonna go ahead and do the passenger while I’m at it. I found these sweet 8mm clamps at my local Ace hardware store. I’m gonna try and slide the wires through the opening for a quick easy fix!

CC53C31E-A014-4CC0-98D6-4B6E2C955FD7.jpeg

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
Clubs

It might be worth noting that the Visor frame has been redesigned for the 2021 model year. Maybe that improved version could be retrofitted for the older flawed design, by the Dealer. I've done the repair for the driver side, but will request the new part replacement for the passenger side. My plain Sport has no wires to the Visor, a much simpler DIY, those with wires , ask for the new improved version !
I read of the redesign of this, and a water - intrusion fix for the front doors when opened in the rain on the 2021 models, but didn't mark the post , sorry
Please post your results with the updated replacement visor.

Sponsored

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
I have a 2021 JLU80 and thankfully my visors have not broken yet, and it may be due to a redesign, but I did the DYI install of a 2020 visor with the Homelink, so hopefully it does not break. However, there is NO fix for the water intrusion for the driver or passenger doors. That rubber piece in the door jam shown in other posts is too far inside the door frame to catch any water coming from the rain channel drip edge.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I just did my broken drivers side. Took about 30 minutes. I used an oscillating saw to cut down the plastic on the visor stem and the mount. Then a dremel and razor blade to get it lower. Then the oscillating saw again to get the plastic even lower and more level. I put the clamp I bought in a vise and spread it open a little more so I didn’t have to mess with the wiring at all. then the clamp wouldn’t close without trying to strip the Allen wrench. I pinched the clamp with vise grips and that did the trick.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Glad I'm not the only one. Lost both driver and passenger on our 19. Just driving down the road both times, they just fell out of the roof.
I'd like to meet the engineer(s) responsible for this design and give them a strong punch in the sack :(

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'd just like to report that 20 months later, the repair using the push on metal retainer has held up on both sides and has not loosened at all. I had completely forgotten about it and use the visors like any other vehicle, including swinging them to the side. I know they don't look like much, but these retainers have an extremely high retention rating .
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200120_062651
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200118_163147

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
I'd just like to report that 20 months later, the repair using the push on metal retainer has held up on both sides and has not loosened at all. I had completely forgotten about it and use the visors like any other vehicle, including swinging them to the side. I know they don't look like much, but these retainers have an extremely high retention rating .
Mine are holding up equally as well. Very good fix.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
In on this thread as my passenger one broke in Moab a few weeks just cruising a dirt trail.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Could you use these retention clips and put them on BEFORE they break to prevent it from happening?
You'd have to cut or break off the part that typically breaks and do the repair. I would think breaking it would be easy. Just abuse the visor a bit and it should break off that cap looking part.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200118_154947
Sponsored