Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not sure, but might be best to go the next size down on that 2pc set. Since the ID is 5/16 and you clamp both set screws down it's still 5/16. The collar w/ the 1 set screw goes into the shaft so it secures into it. Might not get enough clamp pressure since my 5/16" single screw collar just slides over that visor shaft and is loose until that screw secures it.

Maupar

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Not sure, but might be best to go the next size down on that 2pc set. Since the ID is 5/16 and you clamp both set screws down it's still 5/16. The collar w/ the 1 set screw goes into the shaft so it secures into it. Might not get enough clamp pressure since my 5/16" single screw collar just slides over that visor shaft and is loose until that screw secures it.
that’s what I’m thinking as well, I ordered a 5/16 and 1/4 set. I will report back which one works best.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

Kojava

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Thank you so much for this post! It was a great guide to fixing my own driver’s side visor.

I bought the Jeep used about 2 months ago and didn’t check the visor. First time I adjusted it, it fell and hung crooked and was no help at all, of course. This provided a great fix. I ended up using the split collar so I didn’t have to do as much with the wiring.

Appreciate the community help on this one!

Tactician133

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2016 Ram 1500
Thank you so much for this post! It was a great guide to fixing my own driver’s side visor.

I bought the Jeep used about 2 months ago and didn’t check the visor. First time I adjusted it, it fell and hung crooked and was no help at all, of course. This provided a great fix. I ended up using the split collar so I didn’t have to do as much with the wiring.

Appreciate the community help on this one!
Link to split collar you used?

Kojava

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Link to split collar you used?
I ordered one that 15/64” (don’t remember how I cam up with that one) but it was too small. I ended up running to Ace Hardware and purchased one that was 8mm. Fit great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Those ought to do it. 8mm or ÂĽ" bore is the right size.
Good luck.
A correction to the above the visor tube diameter is .312", which is 5/16" or within an RCH unit of 8mm (.315"). Not 1/4" (.250").

Last edited:
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just an update. My original fix with the flat push on retainers is holding up after a year. I've used them like a rental car and swung them to the side and drove like that on a bouncy freeway. I believe the push on retainer has a much higher holding strength than collar-setscrew. But I get that its more work to de-pin the connector.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200118_163147

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
BTW, if you de pin, you can swap the red and yellow wire positions and get the garage door opener to work even when the Jeep isn't on. I hated that it didn't work once I shut the engine off. All other vehicles Ive owned, the built in garage door opener was powered all the time. It's a mod that is gratifying that I think about every time I push that button once I've parked and shut down.

But now my "vanity mirror" light doesn't work unless the engine is running. I'm going thru withdrawls of not being able to see myself at night in the vanity mirror. :LOL:

Tactician133

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2016 Ram 1500
BTW, if you de pin, you can swap the red and yellow wire positions and get the garage door opener to work even when the Jeep isn't on. I hated that it didn't work once I shut the engine off. All other vehicles Ive owned, the built in garage door opener was powered all the time. It's a mod that is gratifying that I think about every time I push that button once I've parked and shut down.

But now my "vanity mirror" light doesn't work unless the engine is running. I'm going thru withdrawls of not being able to see myself at night in the vanity mirror. :LOL:
Only concern then would be parking outside your garage with the top/freedom panels off and someone being able to access your garage or someone "snagging" your garage door code when your parked somewhere with the top off? That would be a very targeted attack though, guess it would depend on where you live if it mattered to you.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Only concern then would be parking outside your garage with the top/freedom panels off and someone being able to access your garage or someone "snagging" your garage door code when your parked somewhere with the top off? That would be a very targeted attack though, guess it would depend on where you live if it mattered to you.
I get it. But for me and many others that never take off the top or panels, it's not a concern.
Sponsored