Steering locked up

jeremy89

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
I have a 2018 JLU sport s. The other night I went to drive after it had been sitting for a few days. When I started pulling out of my driveway, I noticed I couldn’t turn towards the left. The steering was locked up. I stopped and played around with the wheel. After turning it to the right, it then totally locked up on the right side too. Took a lot of force to finally get it to break free. I took it to the dealer who wasn’t able to replicate the issue. They tell me they’ve never heard of this happening. They are going to do the TSB to replace the steering box but they told me they can’t guarantee it’ll help with it locking up. They said the TSB is for excessive play in the steering, which I do also have, but doesn’t mention anything about locking. At this point, I’m nervous to drive it. Thankfully it didn’t lock up while I was on a main road, but what if it did? Definitely could have been dangerous. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Did replacing the steering box fix it?
I have the same issue of the steering locking up at higher speeds (over 30mph going out and usually coming back on under 30mph) and i've taken it to 2 dealerships without either being able to fix it. It's very dangerous and Jeep seems to not want to help in fixing the issue.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Jeez - just replace the steering box on your own dime with the new version. Your life is worth more than the cost of the new box. “Unable to duplicate” serves no purpose when you and your family are hurt or worse....

Jtizzle

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 cj5,2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I just had this happen to me in traffic today. It was a very bad spot to have my steering lock up. I was barking after being cut off on a merge after exiting the freeway in traffic. I too noticed that my steering came back as I dropped speed and I was able to push it right enough to pull over just before being rear ended and likely causing a 4 car pile up. Had this happened in the 30 seconds to minute and a half prior I surely would have been hospitalized or dead from rolling down a freeway off-ramp into oncoming traffic. I will be seeking a solution, but I’m posting this here and sharing with friends and family. This is absolutely unacceptable and life threatening. I love my Jeep, but if I’m hit in it head on my a semi truck it doesn’t really matter.
Sponsored