Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to me about a month ago. I was in the highway and I felt it locked on me while hitting a curve. I then got a couple of codes and messages on the dash. I believe it was the electronic steering and the check engine light. Then it prompted me to pull aside because it was going to shut off soon. I almost made it home but then it completely died and I had to get it towed. They ended up replacing the aux battery as well as one of the main fuses and haven't gotten the problem ever since. This might have been related to the actual battery though and maybe not the steering itself.

NWJEEPJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Drove the my jeep into work the last couple mornings and it has been below 35 degrees out and when I turn to the right it locks for a second and releases, this is happening at speeds above 60 mph. last time I went to the dealer for the loose steering they said everything was normal.... like the drag link loose and having vertical play in the ball joint, track bar bracket flexing under load and lots of play in the steering wheel. they recommended an adjustable track bar for my lift so I got that, and to fix the sub par steering parts I replaced them with steer smarts drag link and tie rod, and also the synergy track bar and sector shaft brace.....now they will probably tell me that since I upgraded the steering components its not under warranty.... even though the parts I put on have nothing to do with the steering box.

TheGuyYouKnow

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JL, ā€˜12 WK2 5.7, Caddy EXT, Chevy 2500
Occupation
Self Employed
Steering locked up when going around a curve. It was sticking to the right and I had to yank the steering wheel back to the left for it come undone. I drove straight to the dealership because there was no way I was driving on the Hwy after that. Has anyone else experienced their steering locking up like this?
I had the steering lock up going around a gradual right turn on a major road. Caught me off guard (obviously not something I was expecting). Chrysler/Jeep "could not Replicate". I cant make it happen or identify any circumstances or parameters for it. It may never happen again but unfortunately I will NEVER again drive and NOT expect it!! Sometimes that takes the fun out of driving. Driving in the middle lane... of three...and have it happen, over-correct and you hit the Tesla to your left, under-correct and you drive over the Miata on the right. Either way....you have no apparent reason why you just plowed into another vehicle...unprovoked! "Sorry, it wasnt me" doesnt go very far!

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Amen! Mine hasnā€™t replicated since the 2 times it happened in October....but anything with the steering has me on edge. Trust in this vehicle is gone.

It would be one thing if they said, hey it was because of ā€”ā€”-...but that not what you get.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I had the steering lock up going around a gradual right turn on a major road. Caught me off guard (obviously not something I was expecting). Chrysler/Jeep "could not Replicate". I cant make it happen or identify any circumstances or parameters for it. It may never happen again but unfortunately I will NEVER again drive and NOT expect it!! Sometimes that takes the fun out of driving. Driving in the middle lane... of three...and have it happen, over-correct and you hit the Tesla to your left, under-correct and you drive over the Miata on the right. Either way....you have no apparent reason why you just plowed into another vehicle...unprovoked! "Sorry, it wasnt me" doesnt go very far!

Exactly.. you kind of lose trust in the vehicle and now drive on edge, and it's the driving on edge that will make you over-correct. Some people on here see this as bashing or hating on Jeeps. Sorry No its just a vary serious safety concern especially for a vehicle that is relatively easy to flip in the first place.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Steering locked up when going around a curve. It was sticking to the right and I had to yank the steering wheel back to the left for it come undone. I drove straight to the dealership because there was no way I was driving on the Hwy after that. Has anyone else experienced their steering locking up like this?
It happens every time I go around a curve. That's why I moved to Kansas.

JCM32

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Finance
Update: I took the Jeep into the dealership and they adjusted the installation of the new steering damper that was installed per the recall. That did seem to feel a little better on the drive home. He stated that he would continue to research the steering issue and see if there was a fix since he couldn't replicate it when I took it in. (it was not cold that day).

In the mean time, I have noticed that my front passenger side tire is wearing funny. So I had him look at the alignment for me. He stated that my Camber is off and that they can't adjust it. The factory components are not adjustable and my Mopar Unlimited lifetime warranty doesn't cover this issue apparently. I am off to get a second opinion for sure. I understand the design of the system, but if that's the case, then the Camber should not be off. I have no lift and have had no damage that I know of. Would love some input on this.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Update: I took the Jeep into the dealership and they adjusted the installation of the new steering damper that was installed per the recall. That did seem to feel a little better on the drive home. He stated that he would continue to research the steering issue and see if there was a fix since he couldn't replicate it when I took it in. (it was not cold that day).

In the mean time, I have noticed that my front passenger side tire is wearing funny. So I had him look at the alignment for me. He stated that my Camber is off and that they can't adjust it. The factory components are not adjustable and my Mopar Unlimited lifetime warranty doesn't cover this issue apparently. I am off to get a second opinion for sure. I understand the design of the system, but if that's the case, then the Camber should not be off. I have no lift and have had no damage that I know of. Would love some input on this.
If itā€™s under warranty and canā€™t be fixed and they admit it...get that in writing. Will be good to have down the road.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hey, JCM32. Keep us updated on your second opinion. If you need assistance at anytime, we are a private message away.

Kate
JeepCares

Sponsored

longhorns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I had the same thing happen. The hardest part is recreating the issue for the dealer. After a month I finally figured out that it happened after driving my Jeep for over an hour. The steering box would get extremely hot to the touch and the steering would start to lock up consistently. The problem is a bad steering box.

OP
OP
jabber20

jabber20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara - Mojito!
I had the same thing happen. The hardest part is recreating the issue for the dealer. After a month I finally figured out that it happened after driving my Jeep for over an hour. The steering box would get extremely hot to the touch and the steering would start to lock up consistently. The problem is a bad steering box.
My dealer was finally able to recreate the problem. My issue only happened in below freezing temps. They ended up replacing the steering box and so far I havenā€™t had any issues since.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
My dealer was finally able to recreate the problem. My issue only happened in below freezing temps. They ended up replacing the steering box and so far I havenā€™t had any issues since.
Glad to hear they resolved it. How's the steering feel? Does the new box have any play on center or feel looser than the one that was locking up?

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Jumping on this thread because I also had my 2018 JLU Sport lose power steering on a back road turn in Tahoe. It was about 38 degrees and I was going about 45MPH that morning-it only happened once for a few seconds but that was enough for me to not totally trust it and that sucks. So had my local dealer test it but, of course couldnā€™t replicate the problem. Called jeepCare this morning and they said they need a second opinion so more time at dealership. Wondering if itā€™s just tightening one bolt as some say or if itā€™s the steering box...stay tuned.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Jumping on this thread because I also had my 2018 JLU Sport lose power steering on a back road turn in Tahoe. It was about 38 degrees and I was going about 45MPH that morning-it only happened once for a few seconds but that was enough for me to not totally trust it and that sucks. So had my local dealer test it but, of course couldnā€™t replicate the problem. Called jeepCare this morning and they said they need a second opinion so more time at dealership. Wondering if itā€™s just tightening one bolt as some say or if itā€™s the steering box...stay tuned.
Jump on this thread and get your steering box replaced. I just had the dealer replace mine and will be watching for lock-ups this winter. I consistently had lock-ups last winter at speeds 45 and higher...just a slight one when going to the right...on the highway its manageable, but not safe if you're not expecting it.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ved-steering-feel.56363/page-110#post-1287162
Sponsored