Steering locked up

Katemc6

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I have a 2018 JLU sport s. The other night I went to drive after it had been sitting for a few days. When I started pulling out of my driveway, I noticed I couldn’t turn towards the left. The steering was locked up. I stopped and played around with the wheel. After turning it to the right, it then totally locked up on the right side too. Took a lot of force to finally get it to break free. I took it to the dealer who wasn’t able to replicate the issue. They tell me they’ve never heard of this happening. They are going to do the TSB to replace the steering box but they told me they can’t guarantee it’ll help with it locking up. They said the TSB is for excessive play in the steering, which I do also have, but doesn’t mention anything about locking. At this point, I’m nervous to drive it. Thankfully it didn’t lock up while I was on a main road, but what if it did? Definitely could have been dangerous. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Did replacing the steering box fix it?
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I have a 2018 JLU sport s. The other night I went to drive after it had been sitting for a few days. When I started pulling out of my driveway, I noticed I couldn’t turn towards the left. The steering was locked up. I stopped and played around with the wheel. After turning it to the right, it then totally locked up on the right side too. Took a lot of force to finally get it to break free. I took it to the dealer who wasn’t able to replicate the issue. They tell me they’ve never heard of this happening. They are going to do the TSB to replace the steering box but they told me they can’t guarantee it’ll help with it locking up. They said the TSB is for excessive play in the steering, which I do also have, but doesn’t mention anything about locking. At this point, I’m nervous to drive it. Thankfully it didn’t lock up while I was on a main road, but what if it did? Definitely could have been dangerous. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Did replacing the steering box fix it?
I ran into this myself.

I couldn't get any dealer to fix it because they couldn't duplicate it.

I made a video when it was first happening to me:

Get ahold of @JeepCares. Lisa helped me get mine fixed.

They ended up replacing everything except the steering wheel to fix mine, but it was a PIA to get any dealer to do it. A supervisor @JeepCares eventually approved the replacement of all my parts and the issue went away.

There was a software "fix" for this, but the software did not fix mine.

Your issue is well known in the Jeep community.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I rented a 2018 JLUR in Colorado a couple weeks ago for the weekend. I had a similar experience for the first few minutes - tough to turn in one direction. Issue cleared after a minute or two. Based on my experience and some quick google searches, my guess is that the power steering fluid is thickening in the cold temps but once it warms up, things are fine. you might try changing the fluid.

I also have a 2018 JLUS and had the steering lock up going 50 mph once. I've had the TSB applied and haven't had the issue since.

OP
OP
Katemc6

Katemc6

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I ran into this myself.

I couldn't get any dealer to fix it because they couldn't duplicate it.

I made a video when it was first happening to me:

Get ahold of @JeepCares. Lisa helped me get mine fixed.

They ended up replacing everything except the steering wheel to fix mine, but it was a PIA to get any dealer to do it. A supervisor @JeepCares eventually approved the replacement of all my parts and the issue went away.

There was a software "fix" for this, but the software did not fix mine.

Your issue is well known in the Jeep community.
Good to know, thank you. I contacted Jeep cares last night and opened up a case. Just waiting to hear back from someone. I figured it was best to get them involved too since the service advisor was telling me he’s never seen this before.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This happened to litebrite a couple years ago with their first JLUR. FCA ended up replacing it with an exact duplicate, rather than fixing it for them, so they could use it to figure out the issue.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
The aluminum steering box they used '18-'20 Jeeps can exhibit odd behavior in response to temperature (getting stuck in cold or extremely loose in high heat). If you are having the TSB done for wandering/excessive play/steering dead spot then you will get a newer steel steering box that shouldn't freak out in extreme temperatures.

OP
OP
Katemc6

Katemc6

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
This happened to litebrite a couple years ago with their first JLUR. FCA ended up replacing it with an exact duplicate, rather than fixing it for them, so they could use it to figure out the issue.
Just checked out their YouTube videos. Thank you!!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know, thank you. I contacted Jeep cares last night and opened up a case. Just waiting to hear back from someone. I figured it was best to get them involved too since the service advisor was telling me he’s never seen this before.
Don't hesitate to check out multiple dealers, in search of a good overall vibe from their service department personnel. Some can come across as though you are bothering them to do what they are there for. Others are actually helpful and do a good job of making you feel comfortable with leaving your baby in their hands.

Once you are dealing with a good dealer, ask them to check if there are any outstanding TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) yet to be performed on your specific Jeep. They mainly consist of various system updates, including a couple that addressed certain quirks in the steering system.

If you go into the Issues, Repairs, etc subforum the first sticky thread includes a list of the tsb's.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I also had it happened to me. First dealer said they reconfigured the update to be applied to my vehicle and I still had the problem. When it happened again I brought it to another dealer and the issue seems to have worked. I'll know for sure this winter.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone got this fixed with just the TSB? I went in today for it but I won't know for sure if it worked until these next couple of colder days.

OP
OP
Katemc6

Katemc6

First Name
Katherine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Anyone got this fixed with just the TSB? I went in today for it but I won't know for sure if it worked until these next couple of colder days.
I’ve had mine back since mid November now. No issues.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Mine has been fixed with the tsb. Have to make sure you get a good dealership that knows how to apply the update.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had mine back since mid November now. No issues.
Mine has been fixed with the tsb. Have to make sure you get a good dealership that knows how to apply the update.
Great to hear! Yeah I have a good relationship with this dealership. They claimed that my steering gear box passed the inspection and I didn’t need the newer one. But the adviser did say if I still had problems with it to let him know and he will take care of me. Hoping for the best. I did noticed after they were done applying the update, my steering felt a little more loose than before.

gridsquares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’ve experienced locked-up steering every winter with the JL from being bone stock to heavily-modified with steering components. In my case it’s almost certainly the steering box. I even had a dealer diagnose the problem as a steering box issue. However, I ran into several more problems along the way with this specific dealership in Denver.

These near-death experiences as a daily driver and weekend warrior, have panicked me into leaving the Jeep in the garage and opting for an incapable sedan. Please do your part in reporting your experience to the NHTSA. It’s time FCA is held accountable.

You may also view my other post about my warranty repair process that has had significant hurdles. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-when-going-around-a-curve.39526/post-1374790
Sponsored