Steering Damper recall 2018

TScottG

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
In October of 2019 I started getting “Death Wobble” at highway speeds in my 2018 stock JLU Sport S. When it first appeared it was very random but within a few weeks it was happening multiple times to and from work. I did not receive a recall notice prior to the issue but when it went into the shop they replaced the steering damper under the recall. 3 days after I had it back from the replacement, it was still acting up so I called the shop. The person I talked to said he would talk to the technicians and call me back. He called me back and said “this may seem odd but the steering damper needs time to break in”. He said give it a week and if it doesn’t correct itself bring it back in and they will look into it further. Within a day the issue went away and never returned...it was back to driving like new. I am a testament that there really can be an issue and that the replacement can be the answer.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
In October of 2019 I started getting “Death Wobble” at highway speeds in my 2018 stock JLU Sport S. When it first appeared it was very random but within a few weeks it was happening multiple times to and from work. I did not receive a recall notice prior to the issue but when it went into the shop they replaced the steering damper under the recall. 3 days after I had it back from the replacement, it was still acting up so I called the shop. The person I talked to said he would talk to the technicians and call me back. He called me back and said “this may seem odd but the steering damper needs time to break in”. He said give it a week and if it doesn’t correct itself bring it back in and they will look into it further. Within a day the issue went away and never returned...it was back to driving like new. I am a testament that there really can be an issue and that the replacement can be the answer.
I was just contemplating this after trying to re-create my wobble this morning. I tried to match the conditions as best I could, but there was no wobbling at all. I chose the same road, same direction, same lane, same time of day, same speed, same weight in the Jeep... even the temperature was within 10 degrees.

TScottG

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
There was on spot on the highway that would always get me. It was coming around a turn at an overpass. It was something about my drivers side hitting an expansion joint a split second before my passenger side that would trigger the wobble.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It was something about my drivers side hitting an expansion joint a split second before my passenger side that would trigger the wobble.
This sounds exactly like my situation, but with mine occurring at a lower speed.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I did it and it seemed to make my steering better, or maybe it was just psychological. But its your choice, its not going to hurt to get it done. just make sure if you do it they put it on the correct way. Some on this forum have had theirs put on upside-down. See V-41 recall

Sponsored

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
Nah

If you havent done the recall, buy yourself a high end adjustable stabilizer(FOX ATS).

Foward receipt to Jeep and they'll reimburse you every penny.

....free upgrade that's 10x better.

No brainer
You did this and it worked?!?! A upgrade stabilizer is on my build list!!!!:like:

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
You did this and it worked?!?! A upgrade stabilizer is on my build list!!!!:like:
Not just me, tons of people have.

Cheaper for Jeep to reimburse you $400 than to pay a dealership to install a garbage stabilizer recall.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Fwiw..here is an email from FCA regarding the reimbursement.
They reimbursed me for the Tereflex adjustable stabilizer I installed many months prior to recall. With the reimbursement check I bought the FOX ATS. Total win.

20200212_194944.jpg

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Much to some that you have read here, the dampener doesn’t do a damn thing to help or hurt the steering so just go get it installed. It isn’t going to make it worse. That is not the issue with the Jeep.
My steering was great for 2 years. But, since I'm selling my JLU to get a Gladiator I decided to get the recall work done. I had a few instances of a minor shimmy within a few days. Two weeks after the recall work was done, I had my first ever significant death wobble experience on an on-ramp. Either the stabilizer caused it or the dealer's work caused it. It's back at the dealership, so we'll see what they do next. In hindsight I should've pursued FCA reimbursement for a better aftermarket stabilizer.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
Not just me, tons of people have.

Cheaper for Jeep to reimburse you $400 than to pay a dealership to install a garbage stabilizer recall.
Well looks like all of you who were reimbursed by FCA got lucky. I was just informed by @JeepCares that they " are not reimbursing for aftermarket parts under V41. Customers had been reimbursed in the past but it was in error. The only way to close out the notice is to have the customer satisfaction repair completed by the dealership with the specified parts." Bad news for everyone like me who were told "If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online. Once your documents are received and they verify them, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days."

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Well looks like all of you who were reimbursed by FCA got lucky. I was just informed by @JeepCares that they " are not reimbursing for aftermarket parts under V41. Customers had been reimbursed in the past but it was in error. The only way to close out the notice is to have the customer satisfaction repair completed by the dealership with the specified parts." Bad news for everyone like me who were told "If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online. Once your documents are received and they verify them, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days."
@JeepCares won't reimburse you a nickel. They are mediators.

All the reimbursements are/were valid.

Call Jeep.

@JeepCares is useless.

Comlie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine replaced because I was having problems. I’d hit a bump on the highway going 55+ and would wobble and shake like crazy. Since it was replaced I’ve had no issues. 2018 JL 2 door

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
@JeepCares won't reimburse you a nickel. They are mediators.

All the reimbursements are/were valid.

Call Jeep.

@JeepCares is useless.
Jeep cares represent FCA on this site and others. If they are giving out incorrect information they should have to stand by it. I understand they don't actually reimburse. They aren't who I was dealing with for the reimbursement. If they are just here for lip service they are essentially spamming and should be banned.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Jeep cares represent FCA on this site and others. If they are giving out incorrect information they should have to stand by it. I understand they don't actually reimburse. They aren't who I was dealing with for the reimbursement. If they are just here for lip service they are essentially spamming and should be banned.
Just lip service dude.

Dkilduff87

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't see the answer to the question I have in this thread so I will ask and hope for a response to it.

I have a 2018 JLU. I bought it about 5 months ago, used with 14,500 miles. Here and there I have gotten some death wobble. Did a bunch or research, checked the suspension and I see nothing wrong. I started to drive no faster than 70 and haven't had it happen until this week when it is below freezing. This week everyday at the same two points on route 24 in mass it has happened. Driving 70, I hit a bump at mile markers 17 and 11.8 and it starts to wobble. I cancel cruse and slow down to about 63 before it corrects.
The original owner had the V41 recall work done. It was done over a year ago. I want to put a fox 2.0 steering damper in, in hopes of no more death wobble. Would jeep reimburse this? Should I have Jeep inspect and drive it to confirm the death wobble first? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Note, this jeep is stock aside from some cosmetic accessories. EX. Spare tire cover, hood latches, phone mount.
Sponsored