Steering Angle and Swaying

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I've driven sport edition vehicles for many years and have been used to their suspension. Switching over to the JLU has been interesting because of swaying at higher speeds. I know it's been a long discussed topic, and I know I just have to get used to this.

There was a video posted that used an OBD reader and the 'jscan app' to graph and view the steering angle and steering wheel angle while driving. According to the video (and everybody else), by adjusting the PSI of the tires, you can improve steering. What I don't understand is how you use the jscan app to determine (tune?) the optimal PSI by analyzing the steering and steering wheel angle graphs and numbers?

For reference, the video can be found here:

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I've driven sport edition vehicles for many years and have been used to their suspension. Switching over to the JLU has been interesting because of swaying at higher speeds. I know it's been a long discussed topic, and I know I just have to get used to this.
Jeeps are a different kind of sport.

There was a video posted that used an OBD reader and the 'jscan app' to graph and view the steering angle and steering wheel angle while driving. According to the video (and everybody else), by adjusting the PSI of the tires, you can improve steering. What I don't understand is how you use the jscan app to determine (tune?) the optimal PSI by analyzing the steering and steering wheel angle graphs and numbers?

For reference, the video can be found here:

Lowering the PSI changes the pneumatic trail, which is effectively like adding more caster. I've posted about it before here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-lowering-tire-pressure-helps-steering.33315/

I have no idea how to determine what is the ideal tire PSI for steering purposes, but would instead determine the ideal tire PSI for load/tire wear with the chalk test and adjust caster until you are happy with it's performance (which is probably around 6 degrees).

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Jeeps are a different kind of sport.

Lowering the PSI changes the pneumatic trail, which is effectively like adding more caster. I've posted about it before here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-lowering-tire-pressure-helps-steering.33315/

I have no idea how to determine what is the ideal tire PSI for steering purposes, but would instead determine the ideal tire PSI for load/tire wear with the chalk test and adjust caster until you are happy with it's performance (which is probably around 6 degrees).
Thanks for the response. I've always heard the chalk test is the best way. I rebuilt a YJ and that thing is scary to drive because of the sway at high speeds. The JLU is similar but better....but like you said, Jeeps are a different kind of sport and I think it's just something I have to adjust to.

I'll check your post out, thanks for the information!
Sponsored