Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Thank you so much for this info. You mention a "long story" I would appreciate a copy of it.
Thank you -
WrangleDangle
It's actually not that long. :) Also know it doesn't affect you Jeff by virtual of you owning a 2020 model year JL.

Back when the JL was introduced in 2018, the first few months production line created Wranglers whose firmware was such that a dead Aux battery would strand the JL. The main battery could have the power of an "ox" -- the vehicle would still be dead.

All dual battery JLs (and back then there was only the 3.6L and 2.0), upon cold crank, test the Aux battery in isolation, by the way.

To remedy this stranding of the vehicle situation, TSB 18-092-19 was introduced by Stellantis to be downloaded to Wranglers at the dealer to remedy these 2018's that would get stranded. Later model year 2018s and all years thereafter automaticallly have the logic of TSB 18-092-19, which
will also, as described prior, fail on first crank attempt, but on second crank attempt to crank solely off the main battery, unlike the early 2018 which were stranded.

As mentioned, if this second crank is successful (i.e. the main battery has adequate power,) the vehicle forever more, or until an energized ESS battery is reconnected, crank (the first time you try from that point on) and work only with the main battery, throwing the "ESS off" light up in the dash; that light BTW, and its condition being exactly what you should effectively want, so as to not run ESS with one battery.

Some people really hate to see idiot lights in their dash. I get that. For them the linked approach won't turn that "ESS off" light on, (i.e. the linked approach won't turn ESS off) but turning ESS off, still is very much indicated under the linked approach, given that it also runs on one battery and that we don't want that battery robbed of cranking power during an ESS event (normally the Aux battery's job to provide ESS event power,) to be able to crank the vehicle post ESS event.

It is left up to the owner in the linked approach to turn off ESS via pressing the ESS off button at each cold crank, or acquiring tech, at some cost, to do it automatically.
Sponsored

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
So what size is the aux battery on a 2.0 with the towing group ? Any recommendations on a replacement brand better than stock .

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So what size is the aux battery on a 2.0 with the towing group ? Any recommendations on a replacement brand better than stock .
@Wkaz

Regardless of whether you have the tow package or not, the Aux battery is the same on JL's that have an Aux battery.

Do read here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

You will see this same list of Aux battery replacements in that thread:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14

Braille (Part# B14115) I5Ah 360CCA
Tests from factory at 483 Crank Amps. Wt. 11.5 lbs.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Ugh... So after 2.5yrs with no issues my Jeep wouldn't start yesterday. I jumped it and was good for the day. Next day same thing. Pretty sure it's aux battery as I noticed about 1mo start/stop stopped working. It was actually welcomed but I didn't make the connection to the aux battery probably failing.

I guess off to dealer since still under warranty. Thanks for all the info in here guys! Definitely after warranty expires I'll bypass it.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
While mine was also going for the second time, I did some research that led me to install a under hood charger permanently connected to the battery. As soon as I know I won’t be using the Jeep for a while, or see that the start/stop feature doesn’t work immediately when the engine has reached normal operating temps like it should, I plug it in overnight and everything works perfectly again. Havent had a problem since installing it. I routed the cord to the outside, and therefore I plug it in like I would an engine block heater.

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
9 months after having my Start Stop battery changed out....the new one is going again! Warranty on Jeep runs out end of the month but the battery has warranty...so should be good. Hard to believe the quality of the OEM battery! Really 9 months!
Just save yourself the aggravation and potential for being stranded and get rid of the aux battery.

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
How to get rid of it other than pull.
I did the aux cable remove and pul f42 iitc and getting headlights power flickering

20221212_190331.jpg

20221212_185511.jpg

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Ugh... So after 2.5yrs with no issues my Jeep wouldn't start yesterday. I jumped it and was good for the day. Next day same thing. Pretty sure it's aux battery as I noticed about 1mo start/stop stopped working. It was actually welcomed but I didn't make the connection to the aux battery probably failing.

I guess off to dealer since still under warranty. Thanks for all the info in here guys! Definitely after warranty expires I'll bypass it.
Thought I'd update this... took it to the dealer this morning and actually got it back the same day! Both batteries failed their load test so both were replaced under warranty. I guess I got another 2yrs before I need to find a better solution?!

Sponsored

Soggybottomboy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon JLU.
Occupation
Retired from Retards
While mine was also going for the second time, I did some research that led me to install a under hood charger permanently connected to the battery. As soon as I know I won’t be using the Jeep for a while, or see that the start/stop feature doesn’t work immediately when the engine has reached normal operating temps like it should, I plug it in overnight and everything works perfectly again. Havent had a problem since installing it. I routed the cord to the outside, and therefore I plug it in like I would an engine block heater.
Steph1,
Can you post a link to the charger you purchased?
Thanks,

SBB

Soggybottomboy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon JLU.
Occupation
Retired from Retards
This thread is a wealth of info.

I was just wondering, it seems like most of the folks that are having problems are the ones who don't like and disable the ESS. (I don't mean to presume anything)

Would it make any difference at all if the ESS was used as designed regularly?

SBB

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Steph1,
Can you post a link to the charger you purchased?
Thanks,

SBB
NOCO GENIUS5, 5-Amp... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07W8KJH44?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

NOCO GC002 X-Connect M6 Eyelet... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004LWQ35Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

6ft (2M) 14AWG Heavy Duty (Power... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01IDZQBUQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

ZeroStart Starting Products... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004BTBT4M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

There you go, the whole kit I got🍻

beemerguy

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang 2006 PT cruser 2020 Wrangler sport S
Occupation
Retired Mfg. Engr.
It's frustrating but may boil down to what remedy best suits your needs.

If you want that battery working and have the ability to use ESS I think trickle charging may be the best thing to try first; deference to the idea that the $ your saving on gasoline pays for the trickle charger's electric.

On the other hand, if you're willing to not use ESS, taking the Aux battery out of the electrical schematic of the vehicle is an option. Links on how to do so are available on request.
Please send me the aforementioned links
Sponsored