Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
+
Once out no need to tape anything as you do not have a complete circuit since you pulled negative cable to AUX battery off the main battery. I still touch the the switch if I remember to turn it off...but have forgotten and I have never had it try and start stop with the main battery.
You forget that the MAIN battery is still connected to the positive cable you removed from the aux battery. That cable is still hot. That's because the two are connected in parallel almost all the time (99.999% of the time)
There is a path from the main battery positive to the aux battery positive you removed. If that touches ground down there - yikes.

Check the path in orange - it goes from the main battery positive through the high current fuse array, through the PCR (which is normally closed) to the aux battery positive cable clamp (and then to N1 of course)
If the cable you took off the aux battery positive touches ground, it will spark. It's hot from the main battery. (and from the alternator when the engine is running)

Jeep Wrangler JL Start Stop battery out again 1677559117619
Sponsored

Gradofan

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2dr
9 months after having my Start Stop battery changed out....the new one is going again! Warranty on Jeep runs out end of the month but the battery has warranty...so should be good. Hard to believe the quality of the OEM battery! Really 9 months!

Is it safe to simply disconnect the start / stop battery by removing the fuse and the negative cable for the start / stop battery? Does that disconnect any circuits that operate other functions than the start / stop circuit?

This guy... did that... and everything seems to work fine, while removing the start / stop battery from the circuit. But... he's a self-confessed amateur "mechanic."

Can anyone confirm this is a safe solution to having to replace the start / stop battery, which is very difficult to access?????

Though - from the last post above - you should remove both the positive and negative cables of the start / stop battery from the main battery terminals (and possibly wrap them)???? To prevent them from shorting out???? Or... just the negative cable from the start / stop battery should be wrapped (as this guy did)????

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
It is safe to do this...you will want to tape up the negative cable and get it out of the way. I found that other steps were needed because the ESS tried to use the main battery. I attached the jscan to it and removed one of the hood switches (which stops the remote start as well) to permanently disable ESS. Been happy with the results.

The AUX battery is easier to get to by crawling underneath and looking up...you can see the black basket. I pulled my plastic wheel well up and rested on the tire. Had to replace two plastic holders for the wheel well. Unscrew the bolts holding battery basket and disconnect cables.....no more AUX.
Sponsored