Soft Top window blowing out

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I even discovered the notched green tab around the rear corner of the window that I hadn’t seen before but saw earlier in this thread.
If you weren't aware of that particular tab until just recently, and by extension it wasn't being properly secured in the corresponding channel on the body, possibly that contributed to the original issues with your side window panel(s).

With luck, your recent fix will serve to keep the window properly in place. 👍
Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
If you weren't aware of that particular tab until just recently, and by extension it wasn't being properly secured in the corresponding channel on the body, possibly that contributed to the original issues with your side window panel(s).

With luck, your recent fix will serve to keep the window properly in place. 👍
Yes, that tab secures the plastic stiffener panel against the tub. I found that after my windows blew out. I had already drilled the two holes so I could tie the windows to the tailgate bar with zip ties. I make sure that the backtab is secured and still zip tie them just to make sure.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
Terpsmandan is correct IMO. C channel gets widened after blowout which is often caused by the black stiffener tab not being seated correctly which is often because the green tabs aren’t secured correctly. jeep knows this - that’s why newer green tabs have a half circle cut out of them whereas the 18s and 19s don’t have the cut out in the green tabs. if the green tabs don’t fit ALL THE WAY under where they should go, then the black stiffener tab can’t engage correctly to where it’s supposed to be seated. the cut out helps the green tabs fit all the way under where they’re supposed to be.

sunshinejeepgirl

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport
On the highway today and the rear driver side premium soft top window blew out and hit the highway. It was run over of course. Top up and windows down, Speed was 65 I know all the flaps were tucked and the channel threaded properly as it took the tapered tip with it. At least with a zipper it would stay with the Jeep. Anyone else have issues with the window not staying in-place? A full line of Velcro on the top might be better than just the small patch.

The same thing happened to me! I had been driving on the highway for over an hour and went under a bridge next to a semi and heard a loud pop and the window was gone. It hit a car behind me and dented it. I did retrieve the window and took it to the dealer and they said my car in fine and they'd never heard of that happening, I am extremely nervous do drive long distance now. I would hate to hurt someone What if it was a motorcycle behind me? Terrible. Any suggestions from anyone??

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The same thing happened to me! I had been driving on the highway for over an hour and went under a bridge next to a semi and heard a loud pop and the window was gone. It hit a car behind me and dented it. I did retrieve the window and took it to the dealer and they said my car in fine and they'd never heard of that happening, I am extremely nervous do drive long distance now. I would hate to hurt someone What if it was a motorcycle behind me? Terrible. Any suggestions from anyone??
I still like my solution. It is somewhere in this post but to summarize, I drilled two 1/4” holes, one in the side of the tailgate bar retainer and one near the bottom of the window stiffener and I run a zip tie through them when I out the top up. Also carry a pair of scissors when I want to put the top down. Haven’t had to worry about it since. A bit tedious to put the zip tie in every time but worth the piece of mind.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I still like my solution. It is somewhere in this post but to summarize, I drilled two 1/4” holes, one in the side of the tailgate bar retainer and one near the bottom of the window stiffener and I run a zip tie through them when I out the top up. Also carry a pair of scissors when I want to put the top down. Haven’t had to worry about it since. A bit tedious to put the zip tie in every time but worth the piece of mind.
I found the old link and while it sounds like a good idea, do you think that zip tie will hold if the window pops off the top rail? I will probably try this method since my top is 5yo and I'm sure that U shaped piece that slides over the rail has expanded over the years.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
do you think that zip tie will hold if the window pops off the top rail? I will probably try this method since my top is 5yo and I'm sure that U shaped piece that slides over the rail has expanded over the years.
I hope Dan doesn't mind the line jump...

I've used zip ties in a variety of load-bearing applications. From experience, those that are a bit wider and/or expressly rated for higher weights (as expressed in pounds) are worth the extra cost. That's what I'd use if wanting to configure a supplemental retention plan for the soft top window panels. I've found them at Ace Hardware. Do avoid the price-point zip ties sold at Harbor Freight and elsewhere.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found the old link and while it sounds like a good idea, do you think that zip tie will hold if the window pops off the top rail? I will probably try this method since my top is 5yo and I'm sure that U shaped piece that slides over the rail has expanded over the years.
Here is my opinion, the weak point of the window is the lower corner. What I found after it happened is that I probably did not get the belt tab at back of the window properly secured and that is where it let go. When it goes it pulls the window out and stretches the c channel out and if it happens multiple times, that channel and groove will wear. With the zip tie, the window cannot separate from the rest of the top. This only happened once before I drilled the holes and started using zip ties to hold it together. As before, the inspiration for this was looking at the trek top ultra that my wife has on her ‘21. The side windows have a strap on them at the back corner with a snap which attaches to the tailgate bar. Figuring Bestop had this issue with the trek top and that was their solution.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope Dan doesn't mind the line jump...

I've used zip ties in a variety of load-bearing applications. From experience, those that are a bit wider and/or expressly rated for higher weights (as expressed in pounds) are worth the extra cost. That's what I'd use if wanting to configure a supplemental retention plan for the soft top window panels. I've found them at Ace Hardware. Do avoid the price-point zip ties sold at Harbor Freight and elsewhere.
Just FYI I am using zip ties from a bag that I bought at NAPA. Nothing special. With the fact there’s nothing that is positively securing the window to the tub besides the plastic tab into the tailgate retainer corner, you will need anything special as far as a heavy duty zip tie.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my opinion, the weak point of the window is the lower corner. What I found after it happened is that I probably did not get the belt tab at back of the window properly secured and that is where it let go. When it goes it pulls the window out and stretches the c channel out and if it happens multiple times, that channel and groove will wear. With the zip tie, the window cannot separate from the rest of the top. This only happened once before I drilled the holes and started using zip ties to hold it together. As before, the inspiration for this was looking at the trek top ultra that my wife has on her ‘21. The side windows have a strap on them at the back corner with a snap which attaches to the tailgate bar. Figuring Bestop had this issue with the trek top and that was their solution.
That makes sense. I thought based on the rail discussions, the window is blowing out from the top rail versus the bottom.

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes sense. I thought based on the rail discussions, the window is blowing out from the top rail versus the bottom.
No. It lets go at the lower corner. Once the tab pops out, air will pull the wiondow out.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
No. It lets go at the lower corner. Once the tab pops out, air will pull the wiondow out.
i agree with this.
older models don’t have the arch cut out on the green locking tabs - this prevents the green tab from fulling seating and the black tab from being inserted in the rear rail. not sure if i’m explaining this in an understandable manner.
newer models should have a much lower prevalence of windows blowing out as jeep corrected the primary design flaw.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Must not have had the green belt fully installed when the window blew out. If I ticked that in every time I would probably be ok but ima not taking any chances.
Sponsored