Snow chains

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Hi!
Was driving up to Pinecrest this weekend when I saw a 4 runner spin out and crash into the trees. Made me realize how dangerous mud tires are in the snow. I have 37” Mastercraft MXTs on my ‘19 MOAB.
1) are tire chains necceary?
2) any cons to using them if conditions are snowy and slippery?

much appreciated!

7E234813-8044-4C69-9BBC-F26A47688D64.jpeg
Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
You should not drive faster than 25 to 30 with chains. These are chains that are properly fit. If you don't know about using them chances are you will not have them fit properly and need to drive even slower. Are you going to be in conditions so bad that you will loose control going 20? I live on a mountain and it gets a little hairy coming down. I have skipped them and opted to hit the ditch gaining traction off road rather than packed snow and ice.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Hi!
Was driving up to Pinecrest this weekend when I saw a 4 runner spin out and crash into the trees. Made me realize how dangerous mud tires are in the snow. I have 37” Mastercraft MXTs on my ‘19 MOAB.

much appreciated!

7E234813-8044-4C69-9BBC-F26A47688D64.jpeg
If you’re gong to be in the snow and ice a lot it makes sense to have a dedicated set of studded snow tires. That’s what I’ve done for more than thirty years.

Chains work slightly better under the very worst conditions, but they have speed limitations, they are inconvenient in areas of mixed ice and open pavement, they’re noisy, they can be a PIA to instal and remove, they can damage the Jeep if they are installed incorrectly or break, and they take up space.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
When you purchased your JL the dealer made you sign a Tire Chain Disclosure informing you that the use of tire chains will void your warranty.

California tire chain disclosure
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains 1609133160215

However, CHP will require that your vehicle be equipped with “traction tires” and “carry chains” in certain driving conditions. On a 4WD vehicle, they will allow you to drive through on ATs and MTs, and likely ask to see that you “carry chains” in the vehicle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains 1609132513148

A good compromise between FCA and CHP is the use of tire cables. They get the job done and are less destructive.

I ride on M+S tires, and carry in the Jeep a set of tire cables between November and May, just in case I ever run into a check point. I’ve driven in snow for years up and down the west coast; have been stopped by state police a dozen times to check my tires and that I “carry chains.” Never had to put them on; they wave me right through.

Tire chains
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains 1609132349979

Tire cables
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains 1609132458286

Oregon and Washington sign
Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains 1609132672383

Last edited:

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
@Tahoma,

Since you are in California, this might be helpful.

I have property in Lake Tahoe and outside of Truckee, both at high elevations and subject to snow conditions during the winters. In all of my 40 years of driving back and forth to the Bay Area I have never had to put on chains. Ever.

The main reason is there are certain conditions where the snow fall is so severe, roads are undrivable and CHP/Caltrans will shut down the roads.

98 percent of the time when roads are open mud and snow tires are ok in lieu of chain requirements. See photo below.

Amazingly, most people have no idea that the average car, with average tires are mud and snow rated. Just look for the M+S symbol/designation on the sidewall. From Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai to Jeep, Every single car I have had (and I have had dozens) has come with the M+S on the stock tires. Next time you walk by a Honda Accord or Civic bend down and look at the sidewalls. Yep, that M+S means they qualify as snow tires.

Every 4wd or All wheel drive without exception, I have had was equipped with M+S rating and has been fine. Currently we have 4 jeeps and all do very well in the snow.

It is not that I am against snow chains (I do own a few pair and have carried them), however, be aware they they can do damage to your vehicle, must be fitted correctly, can be a challenge to put on/remove in certain conditions and can put you at risk when installing them or removing them due to other drivers behavior around chain up areas.

The best practice is to SLOW down and drive like you are on ice...because you are. If I were to guess, most spin outs are directly related to driving too fast for road conditions (also a ticketable offense).

So that's my .02, you can keep the chains...I mean change. 😜

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains df08777e-d338-40be-963f-0d784d63ed59-large16x9_IMG_8969

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains Three-Peak-Mountain-Snowflake-3PMSF-MS-symbol-626x383

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Hi!

much appreciated!
Yep Mud tires will slip and slide in winter conditions. So is not optimal. At least put on tires that have the 3PMSF symbol on the sidewall if you can. Maybe go smaller and narrower. Consider studs if allowed.

In some cases tire chains are necessary. Especially to help extricate yourself and keep going. Cons are you will need to get down low to make sure the fit is tight and any excess chain links are securely tied off. As well you need to keep speed down as recommended.

Here is what FCA states in the OM. Interestingly Socks are referenced now as well. Clearance is key.

Jeep Wrangler JL Snow chains DB218ECC-4222-49E3-80C0-35AF91981141

EDIT: Here is a vid that refers to R3. Just google to get more excellent info and vids for when and how to use chains. Always carry them and know exactly how to properly install them. They are easy once you use them a few times and get the hang of it. Practice at home is always a good idea if unfamiliar. Traction is about as good as you will ever get. As well also carry a couple full length shovels, traction ramps, and recovery gear at all times. We use all of these and saves a tow truck call out.

Last edited:

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just bought some 35" wildpeaks MT01, im worried because they won't do as good as the stock k02s did in the snow, and I should carry chains/cables with me anyways

What brand and where did you buy your cable or chains? Which one is better?

Thanks

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Snow chains are a system of rubber bands that are stretched between the tires or tire boots to provide traction on snowy or icy surfaces. They also keep your vehicle from spinning due to driving back and forth on patches without ice.

Snow chains are often used for cars with limited clearance - mainly off-road vehicles, sports cars, or racing cars with small wheels - because they can be installed so the car still fits within its class' minimum clearance specifications. There are also snow chains designed for taller vehicles which can raise it up higher if needed.
Snow chains cannot be used during rain storms because the water washes away any grip afforded by them, but they will work against slushy ice as well as solid ice.
Snow chains=rubber bands. Gotcha.

Sponsored

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
You may have seen more "driver error" than anything else.

Reactions: GtX

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
I live in Truckee CA and 4 wheel drive and 3peak/snow/M&S tires is all they look for. If road conditions are at an R3 level the roads Are likely closed and to be honest never drive in R3 conditions if the road is open as it will be super dangerous. Now technically you are supposed to carry chains/traction devices in the vehicle and I have a set but have never ever used them despite driving in many an R2 condition(s) as we see a ton of snow most years.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Nothing beats 4 studded tires on icy roads. I used to ice race in Montana. Don't go over 110 MPH or the studs coming out sound like a machine gun.

Until I moved to Hawaii, I always had a set of 4 skinny studded tires. Pulled over 100 mall crawlers out of the ditch (with wide tires). PPl think with a 4x4 you can drive fast on snow/ice. You can if you're really good and have 4 studded tires.

Skinny tires and chains rule in deep snow off road. I've never had to chain up on a public road. Deep snow off roading is a blast with 4 chains of fully aired up skinny tires. I'd load up my Honda gas compressor and impact wrench and 4 skinny factory tires with chains on them in the back of my F-250. Once I got up in the mountains I'd jack up each axle and remove the studded tires and mount the chained tires. That was before you could buy a Ryobi cordless impact wrench with 1,600 ft/lbs.

As far as not supposed to use chains, why would you tell the dealer you had them on?

Last edited:

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Depends on the mud tire. My JK had pizza cutter BFG KM’s and did excellent in snow. I’m currently running snow/ ice rated KO2’s, which do well in snow. That said, I do carry traction aids, but for one specific purpose. The final stretch of trail to my cabin on my property is abnormally steep. After ice storms, or during a melt/ freeze, it’s nearly impassable until a fresh blanket of snow comes down. My traction aids are soft plastic pads with studs imbedded in them. They strap around the wheels, 3 to a tire. That stretch of steep icy trail is the only place I have ever used, or felt the need to use them. They’re strictly for crawling though. The instructions say 20 mph max, but I wouldn’t trust them much beyond jogging pace.

In both my JK and JL, I’ve never felt the need for chains. And I’ve had snow over the axles on both on roads, and up to the bumper on trail. Just run 4x4, and take it slow. If you feel the rear end begin to step out, the stability control usually catches it before I need to intervene. Just remember that if your fronts lock, you’ll loose steering. Many times in many vehicles I’ve had to let off the brakes and just let the vehicle roll down that hill to regain directional control. Sometimes pumping just the e-brake like you’d do on a snow machine (rapid firm pumps) to get the rear to follow the front (at jogging pace).
Sponsored