Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
For years I scoffed at Smittybilt winches and would only by Warn. My last Warn winch was a 9500ti. The third time I used it, it gave me problems. It would stop working sporadicially and then start working again. I finally finished the pull. A month later I went out to help a friend get his F150 out because he got stuck going to his fishing hole. I tried to use a snatch strap to get him out and got myself stuck. I spooled my cable out to get myself out and then hit the switch to spool in and it moved about 6 inches and then nothing. We had to get another buddy to come help us and he used his $200 harbor freight winch to get us out. When I contacted Warn, they wanted me to pay to ship it to them for warranty service!!!! I instead bought a Smittybilt. I used the crap out of the Smittybilt that I paid $399 for with synthetic line. I had it on my JK for 6 years and it never once failed me. When I got my JL, did I buy a warn? nope, I bought another cheap winch. A nice thing about a Smittybilt is that if you get the extended warranty and it fails, you just take it to your nearest 4 wheel parts and they take care of it! Also if you read any of the winch shootouts in the magazines, the Warn's ALWAYS fail...
Sponsored

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have a smittybilt XRC8 on my TJ currently (came with it) and my old TJ had a Warn 9.5Ti. I wheeled with both hard.
I can honestly say the Smittybilt has really surprised me. I have no intention of replacing it on the TJ. Yes the line speed is a little slower than the Warn, but it’s pulled me out of nasty, sticky deep mud no problem and dragged high-centered JKs over hard rocks. It’s worked so well by brother-in-law is buying one instead of a warn, and using the extra $$ for other mods. I still loved my Warn, and when I’ve got gobbs of money that’s what I’ll buy for the JL, but I think the XRC is a great value.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Warn Zeon 10s - warn elite front bumper, warn elite rear bumper, warn tire carrier, warn recovery kit - all perfect - used winch only 5 times so far - no powder coat issues or failure.
snow.jpeg

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I just ordered this - the 10,000 lb version with synthetic rope. I have heard good things about them. It arrives tomorrow, but the winch plate is on backorder so I can't install it yet. https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/q-performance-stealth-winch

quadratec-q10000is-with-synthetic-winch-line-main.jpg
Pretty sure this is what I’m going to get. Probably $600-$700 with the winch plate. The Zeon 10S with a winch plate would be double that. Plus the Stealth has wireless control as well as cable.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Flip888

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cbr1krr, DRZ4-sm, Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business owner.
I don't have a lot of winching experience, but I can say my SuoerwjSup tigershaek has been 100% reliable and has plenty of power. My uncle has a warn m8000 and has had issues with it. Bit I believe the warranty took care of him. My brother has a cheap Smittybilt and the only issue he's had was with the controller.

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone get good deals on the zeon? At $1250 its a hard number for me, but with a good discount I would be willing to drop that extra coin. Seems like when you look at the specs, the VR and the Smitty x20 are pretty much the same level of performance, plus or minus a few things. Smitty has the wireless controller but the warn has a better electrical warranty. I lean to that VR still for the warranty, but the upgrades from the VR to Zeon can't be avoided.

https://www.rubitrux.com/warn-vr-zeon-comparison.html

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe
I just installed the Smittybilt X20s 10k on a Warn winch plate. Based on my short time with it, I recommend it. It seems like good quality, the instructions were clear, the wireless remote is great, and it works as expected. That said, I haven’t pulled with it yet.

I didn’t get Warn as it was 3x the cost and recent reviews mention a lot of failures. Most of the Smittybilt reviews I found were great.

And FWIW, I don’t love the Warn winch plate. It didn’t bolt on without mods and it’s missing holes on the front that the factory bumper has so I can’t mount the Maximus-3 winch hook completely.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at these but there's not a whole lot of info on them. They seem to be sold out at a ton of vendors. I've seen at least one here on the forum. I would love to know more.
This post on another forum at least compares specs from zeon and exp. I like it.

Notably:

Better coating (ive seen rusting complaints on the warn finish)
better waterproofing (IP69K vs IP68)
Wireless built in
larger gauge
100% undoubtedly built in USA
similar prices

Alright, so lets start off with durability. The Zeon is rated to IP68, using various seals, while the EXP is fully potted providing an IP69K rating.

Basic specs:

MSRP:
Zeon - 1809.99(Amazon & Jet) & 1879.99(other sites)
EXP - $1481.84(Superwinch website)

Weight:
Zeon - 86lbs(Amazon listed shipping weight. non-official)
EXP - 90lbs(Listed on product page)

Line Length:
Zeon - 80ft Spydura regular synthetic
EXP - 100ft superwinch synthetic

Models available:
Zeon - 8k, 10k, 12k(12k is the information found on this page)
EXP - 8k, 10k, 12k(12k is the information found on this page). 14k and 18k models are expected to be released at SEMA 2017.

LED Task lighting:
Zeon - No
EXP - Yes (Lighting is blue when winch is ready, turns red when overheating or excessive amp draw)

Remote:
Zeon - Wireless remote standard
EXP - Wireless receiver built into winch(the potted electronics make it difficult to add on later without compromising the protection against water), wireless remote is optional

Motor:
Zeon - 12V series wound
EXP - 12V series wound

Geartrain:
Zeon - 3 stage planetary
EXP - 3 stage planetary

Gear Ratio:
Zeon - 162:1
EXP - 154.29:1

Minimum required battery CCA:
Zeon - 650cca
EXP - 450cca

Battery leads:
Zeon - 2 gauge 72"
EXP - 2 gauge 96"

Coating:
Zeon - "flat black powder-coated"
EXP - "Exclusive Chromate Bath Powder Coating"

Drum Diameter/Length:
Zeon - 80mm/229mm
EXP - 63.4mm/218.5mm

Brake:
Zeon - "Automatic mechanical cone"
EXP - "Custom Load Holding Gearbox End" Listed as "relocated brake keeping heat at bay" for synthetic rope

Clutch:
Zeon - "Rotating ring gear"
EXP - "Auto-Engage Twist (patent pending)"

Manufacturing origin:
Zeon - Reported as USA
EXP - Made in brand new USA factory

Bonus features:
Zeon - The Zeon winches may be used both as integrated and non-integrated. To relocate the control box you will require the relocation kit sold separately
EXP - includes 2 built in Picatinny rails for lights, cameras, etc; has 2 accessory power ports for lighting, air compressors, etc. " Since your winch is already wired for significant loads, why not take advantage of all that power? Check out the Superwinch auxiliary fused power ports capable of running lights or air compressors - it’s power where you need it."; Winch and lighting automatically turns off after set period of time.

Line speeds/amp draw:

0lbs:
Zeon -32.9fpm/57amps
EXP - 44fpm/74amps

2000lbs:
Zeon - 15.1fpm/132amps
EXP - 22.5fpm/165amps

4000lbs:
Zeon - 9.9fpm/200amps
EXP - 16.5fpm/230amps

6000lbs:
Zeon - 8.9fpm/261amps