Sponsored

Smittybuilt vs Warn winch

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Incidentally has anyone seen this about Smittybilt's claimed weight on the synthetic XRC 9500 not being quite right?

He suggests it would be more like 55# (78-23)
https://www.roundforge.com/articles/smittybilt-xrc-9500-winch/

If true my calcs suggest I could get the steel cable version down to about 71.5 lbs if I shortened the cable to 55'

I'm trying to be really weight conscious on my JL but if it's 55# for synthetic or 71.5# for steel (albeit shorter steel) I'd probably be willing to have an extra 16 or 17 lbs for the no-nonsense durability of steel cable - it can't rot, sun bake, melt to the drum or easily abrade on rocks.

Shit I've got an XD9000i just sitting here that I think would come in at 74# with 55' of steel cable....and be free since I've got it
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Help me with my logic/math.

Per many posts: Smittybilt = Chinese.

Per many other posts: Smittybilt = excellent winch.

Per my addiction to Harbor Freight: Harbor Freight = Chinese.

Extrapolation: Harbor Freight = excellent winch.

Thoughts?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Help me with my logic/math.

Per many posts: Smittybilt = Chinese.

Per many other posts: Smittybilt = excellent winch.

Per my addiction to Harbor Freight: Harbor Freight = Chinese.

Extrapolation: Harbor Freight = excellent winch.

Thoughts?
Supposedly many of the Chinese winches are identical or near identical. I haven't dared to peer into the rabbit hole but there are sites that cover some of which are likely the same.

If I Google it now I'll be stuck for the next 3 hours....

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Supposedly many of the Chinese winches are identical or near identical. I haven't dared to peer into the rabbit hole but there are sites that cover some of which are likely the same.

If I Google it now I'll be stuck for the next 3 hours....
My wife is in charge of the checkbook - as it SHOULD be. Therefore...down the rabbit hole I go!

Frankly, I have bought a number of power tools from Harbor Freight, and I have used the hell out of them. Not a single failure, and they have lived outside in my hot, humid Florida shop for years.

Living dangerously, I guess...

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Well this is interesting. The Badlands winches sold by Harbor Freight are made in California, not China, and are sold world-wide. They appear to get high marks too. *things that make me say “Hmmmmmm...”*

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of less steel cable to reduce weight, actually!

I agree synthetic is a mixed bag, I'd really only want it for the weight savings. I've got some Amsteel that's been baking in the sun for ~15 years I'd of course no longer trust ;)
99.999999% of the time, the winch is not in use. The pounds you save work for you when it is not in use. When it is in use, the synthetic line works just fine. If I had an application where I was frequently using the winch, I'd go with the steel line.

Reactions: baz

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I can tell when a steel cable is compromised by looking at it. Synthetic is much harder to detect some types of compromise. I will stick with steel.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Smittibilt x20 gen2 for my 2019, only used it a few times and had no issues. however on my 2020 I decided to go with the Warn Zeon 10s. I think they both are great winches, but ultimately the overall build qualty and design of the X20 was not quite as nice as the Warns I have seen.

the new Smittibilt XRC looks like a pretty nice unit, and I would probably have given that a try if it was out when I bought my Warn back in July.

I went with Synthetic line for now because I got a really good deal on the Warn and go to the Synthetic version formtye price of steel. I can replace the synthetic to steel and still be good on price.

however, like others have mentioned it does have a little more upkeep. if/when my synthetic line breaks I will probably go with 75ft of steel cable and augment we the the recovery straps when needing a little more length. here in AZ, lots of sharp rocks, and lots of sun so I will be happy if I get a full year of use. then will swap to steel cable. I also got the new Warn winch cover to keep the sun and water off it.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Really by running less cable you're running closer to the sweet spot "powerband" of the winch anyway (and granted reducing line speed, too)

@Sean K. that climb is ridiculous!

One thing I've always found fascinating is that most winches are held on with four 3/8" bolts, and the minor diameter of a 3/8" bolt is considerably less....more like 5/16" if you're going off tap drill size.

Now yes I understand graded hardware, torque/clamping force (thus fine thread and not coarse thread) etc and all the numbers on paper work out....but next time you're hanging by your winch don't think about those 4 tiny steel rods anchoring it to your bumper or winch plate ;)

And if ya bought an import winch, Chinese fasteners are notoriously sketchy....might want to invest in some quality hardware, it'll only cost a couple bucks

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
my first choice would be the warn winch that has the on board air compressor. i wouldnt mind having a 8274 style. my brother had a 9k# superwinch and worked just as good. also had a 8274 warn winch.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
my first choice would be the warn winch that has the on board air compressor. i wouldnt mind having a 8274 style. my brother had a 9k# superwinch and worked just as good. also had a 8274 warn winch.
The 8274 not only a good winch, but a great conversation piece haha. I get asked quite often what it is I have on my bumper

83A439EB-22CC-4794-A3D6-191B73EBEFC6.jpeg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
What about the "pin" that holds the hook to the cable? That's even smaller...and there's ONE of them. That's why I just put a clevis through the loop....no hook. What I really don't get are all these $150 clevises out there.....man, what some people will spend their money on.
The pin's in double shear and for some reason doesn't bother me. Again, it's all in my head (but then so is everything)

However, I wonder again about the metallurgy of import pins like this. I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to grab a piece of hot rolled, whittle it off with a hacksaw, paint with rattle can galvanized and send it out the door

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Love my Warn 10-s, last time I used it pulling a 18 Rubi out of the mud is worked like a charm, I also like the Warn 'Epic set" fairlead/hook etc.

IMG_5044.jpg

IMG_5046.jpg

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
That's a set up that takes up quite a bit of real estate. Personally, I wouldn't want that much junk blocking my radiator, hanging the extra weight off the front end and having the systems separate is more likely to not leave you without one or both if something fails.

JMO.....
i here you, but if you install the winch in the winch bumper, it will sit lower and clears the front grill.
Sponsored