Sponsored

Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
There are several no drill options in this thread.
Agreed, no need to drill holes, just use existing bolts & or holes. I used steel angle and 2 existing bolts.
Sponsored

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Agreed, no need to drill holes, just use existing bolts & or holes. I used steel angle and 2 existing bolts.
Thanks, just to confirm that the nuts holding the existing bolts are retained to the body underneath (where you cannot see)

So the bolts can be taken out and screwed back in without worrying about losing the nut.

Apologies if I am being a little anal about this

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks, just to confirm that the nuts holding the existing bolts are retained to the body underneath (where you cannot see)

So the bolts can be taken out and screwed back in without worrying about losing the nut.

Great question

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

yes

Sponsored

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thank you everyone for your replies. Now I have a small project for this afternoon or Thanksgiving morning.

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Hey guys, thanks for all the info here; but i have a question:

For the Warn Power Interrupter, can you attach the large cables to either post (one from + batt and one going to winch <red cable>?

I was wiring mine up today, but my red cable from the winch is not long enough to reach the large post mounted toward the back. It will fit if I put it on the front post and connect the rear to the + battery (device mounted upright on passenger side fender wall, like all the pictures)

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others

For the Warn Power Interrupter, can you attach the large cables to either post (one from + batt and one going to winch <red cable>?

I was wiring mine up today, but my red cable from the winch is not long enough to reach the large post mounted toward the back. It will fit if I put it on the front post and connect the rear to the + battery (device mounted upright on passenger side fender wall, like all the pictures)

Thanks in advance!
Either post is fine as the power (positive) simply passes through the solenoid. Go ahead and test so you can see by putting a meter on either side then apply 12 volts to close the solenoid with your switch. You will then see continuity between the posts where there wasn't with the solenoid "open".

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
Either post is fine as the power (positive) simply passes through the solenoid. Go ahead and test so you can see by putting a meter on either side then apply 12 volts to close the solenoid with your switch. You will then see continuity between the posts.
Copy...thank you!

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks in advance!
If I'm understanding you correctly then yes.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just asked this question in another thread before seeing this one, so hey going to ask this question twice in two locations lol!

What is the purpose of the power interrupt kit? Winches are new to me, so just trying to figure out if there is something I am missing here. If the winch is not being used (i.e. motor turning forward / backward) there is no power draw from the winches motor. Having an additional relay controlling the +12vdc supply to the winch motor just seems like unnecessary redundancy to me, unless there is something I am missing. Can someone give me some edjumacation?

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I just asked this question in another thread before seeing this one, so hey going to ask this question twice in two locations lol!

What is the purpose of the power interrupt kit? Winches are new to me, so just trying to figure out if there is something I am missing here. If the winch is not being used (i.e. motor turning forward / backward) there is no power draw from the winches motor. Having an additional relay controlling the +12vdc supply to the winch motor just seems like unnecessary redundancy to me, unless there is something I am missing. Can someone give me some edjumacation?
You are correct, it is not drawing power unless you activate the motor so your battery won't go down. BUT that power is available anywhere along the positive cable if it's attached directly to the battery. And that wire goes to the front of the Jeep so a front end crash has the potential to cause the wire or terminal on the winch to come in contact with the frame or another ground and you will have the battery discharge it's power at hundreds of amps causing intense heat and a fire.

An interrupt kit causes the power of the battery to be isolated from the winch so that thick wire to the winch has no power available until you activate it.
Sponsored