DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My Smittybilt is holding up perfectly after about a year and a half! (Disclaimer....I haven't used it once, Lol!. The Rubi, so far, has been unstoppable! I probably should unspool it and run it, just to check it out. :CWL:)

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
My Smittybilt is holding up perfectly after about a year and a half! (Disclaimer....I haven't used it once, Lol!. The Rubi, so far, has been unstoppable! I probably should unspool it and run it, just to check it out. :CWL:)
I've only had my X20 for about a month - also have yet to use it! I assume it still works fine...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've only had my X20 for about a month - also have yet to use it! I assume it still works fine...
I had an opportunity to use it a couple weeks ago, but I had cleaned out my JL after a trail trip and forgot to put the winch remote back. My wife drove her huge Ford Transit van nearly off the edge of a gravel road. I wound up pulling her out with a tow strap, but would have used the winch if I'd not been a bone head.

Btw, she would have risked rolling that big, tall van if she'd backed up another 5 or 6 inches with her wheels turned the way they were. Good thing she lost traction and became stuck. I haven't come anywhere nearly that close to a roll in my JL, not even in Colorado or Moab.

Lazygreek

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I’m looking to get a winch, and started to consider the smittybilt. XRC gen 3 vs X20? They both say comp series.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking to get a winch, and started to consider the smittybilt. XRC gen 3 vs X20? They both say comp series.
I'd have a tough choice there. I went with the previous XRC just because I got a Black Friday deal that couldn't be beat and it was only 46lbs with the synthetic rope. I like the cool running drum on the X20 and its higher water resistant rating, but the price difference was too much to ignore. If buying now, I'd probably lean slightly toward the XRC Gen 3. I don't know what it weighs, but I like the light and aux power outlet. I also like the lights on the remote.

Smittybilt stepped up their game a few years back and it looks like they are continuing to improve. You probably can't go wrong either way.

Lazygreek

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I'd have a tough choice there. I went with the previous XRC just because I got a Black Friday deal that couldn't be beat and it was only 46lbs with the synthetic rope. I like the cool running drum on the X20 and its higher water resistant rating, but the price difference was too much to ignore. If buying now, I'd probably lean slightly toward the XRC Gen 3. I don't know what it weighs, but I like the light and aux power outlet. I also like the lights on the remote.

Smittybilt stepped up their game a few years back and it looks like they are continuing to improve. You probably can't go wrong either way.
is the X20 the higher model range compared to the XRC ?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Had two $hittybuilt X2O on my LJ and each one practically herniated me trying to unspool by hand. I couldn't have imagined being on a trail and trying to pull it out while walking up a hill. They both went back and I would NEVER consider buying one again. Also saw a video of a youtuber trying to unspool theirs and the woman practically fell over trying to unspool it. I went with an Engo on my LJ and it seems well built but I haven't had a chance to use it.
On the Mrs. JL we bought a RC 9500 with synthetic line. I know everyone poo-poos RC and if we had to do it again we'd probably go a different route but that thing has gotten us and another Jeep out of a few jams flawlessly every time. RC also has phenomenal customer service.

Reactions: apb

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Was the cable's crimp caught in the fairlead or opening? I have two Smittys now (and a couple of Warns)....none of them have issues spooling out, after you clear the hawse fairleads (I made the opening in the winch plate on the wife's JL smaller than I should have in retrospect). Mine run wire rope though....which could be your issue, if you're allowing the synth to suck down into other layers on the drum....one of synth's many drawbacks.
$hittybuilt is the only winch I know that you have to assemble. That means it's bare spooled, not wired, no control box mounted when you get it and I couldn't turn the spool by hand, which you should be able to do. I then assembled it correctly and mounted it to the Jeep and could barely unspool it.
Got the replacement and couldn't turn it by hand and sent it back, fool me once... This had nothing to do with the fairlead, how it was spooled, the position of the sun or anything else. On top of that I've seen it on someone else's $hittybuilt winch. I guess by now you get the idea that I think they are pieces of ****.
RC and Engo unspool effortlessly and I can spin the spool by hand... the way it should be.

I see no drawbacks on synthetic rope. If spooled properly and pre-tensioned it works perfect. If it snaps it falls to the ground, it's lighter and doesn't kink or rust, no way in the world I would ever use cable.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm...both mine came assembled...other than the remote solenoid, which is a good thing considering you can mount in anywhere you want (mine's under the hood next to the brake booster). Both could be spooled by hand. Must've been a bad lot....no excuse though. You get what you pay for and Warn & Superwinch make good quality stuff (provided you don't buy the cheap, Chinese versions...which is what the Smitty is anyway).

No offense, you seem a bit defensive. I was just explaining why I had problems getting my cable out of the fairlead on a few occasions and thought it might help you.

As for your opinion on synth....your experience hasn't been mine. The only advantages I see are weight and stored energy when they do break. Luckily though, comparatively speaking, wire rope doesn't fail nearly as often as synth and if you weight the line, it's not that big of a deal anyway (a lot of guys weight them with a tool bag). To cut the weight, I just cut the cable down to 50-60' since most of our pulls around here are relatively short and you can always extend with the tow straps you've already got onboard....not to mention it massively cuts down on bird nesting the cable to one side of the winch on a hard side pull or building up so much that it damages the radiator if you mount the winch in nice and tight. I usually build a "backer plate" into my winch plate to avoid that issue though.
No offense taken, I'm tired, sinus pressure and had flash backs about the nightmare with those two winches... lol. I do agree that at the end of the day all the $500 and below stuff is Chinese made with a different name badge on them.
One cool thing about the Engo and the RC is they use the same remote so we can grab either one from our Jeep to use.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Installed the X20 a couple of months ago and had to use it on my first run with it when the Jeep in front of me high centered on an obstacle. Worked perfectly when I needed it.

Hopefully it will last, I've seen many Smittybuilt bumpers rust out pretty quickly. So far though the winch has been great.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hmmm...both mine came assembled...other than the remote solenoid, which is a good thing considering you can mount in anywhere you want (mine's under the hood next to the brake booster). Both could be spooled by hand. Must've been a bad lot....no excuse though. You get what you pay for and Warn & Superwinch make good quality stuff (provided you don't buy the cheap, Chinese versions...which is what the Smitty is anyway).

No offense, you seem a bit defensive. I was just explaining why I had problems getting my cable out of the fairlead on a few occasions and thought it might help you.

As for your opinion on synth....your experience hasn't been mine. The only advantages I see are weight and stored energy when they do break. Luckily though, comparatively speaking, wire rope doesn't fail nearly as often as synth and if you weight the line, it's not that big of a deal anyway (a lot of guys weight them with a tool bag). To cut the weight, I just cut the cable down to 50-60' since most of our pulls around here are relatively short and you can always extend with the tow straps you've already got onboard....not to mention it massively cuts down on bird nesting the cable to one side of the winch on a hard side pull or building up so much that it damages the radiator if you mount the winch in nice and tight. I usually build a "backer plate" into my winch plate to avoid that issue though.
I like the idea of less steel cable to reduce weight, actually!

I agree synthetic is a mixed bag, I'd really only want it for the weight savings. I've got some Amsteel that's been baking in the sun for ~15 years I'd of course no longer trust ;)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of less steel cable to reduce weight, actually!

I agree synthetic is a mixed bag, I'd really only want it for the weight savings. I've got some Amsteel that's been baking in the sun for ~15 years I'd of course no longer trust ;)
Smartass
:giggle:
Sponsored