Sponsored

Should you still buy?

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Sounds like one of these would be a better fit than a Wrangler.

256322.jpg
Now this would be cool off-road on the green, golf clubs and beer hauler, wonder how much for a lift? Keep the Jeep wave going.
Sponsored

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
The real question is if this spam account is run by the Admins or if its a regular 'look at me' troll.

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
If $1k is a problem in your budget, you shouldn’t be shopping Wranglers at all.

I know that sounds dismissive, but these vehicles are expensive, inefficient, and costly to accessorize. It’s a luxury toy.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

All I’m saying is don’t stress your budget over a vehicle. No matter what it may be.
This literally sounds and reads terrible...unfortunately it is true. While there may be some percentage of Jeep owners out there that roll around stock you aren't going to find them on these forums.

I had someone ask me the other day what these Jeeps go for - which I kindly replied with "are you asking what the Jeep costs to look like this or what it cost when I bought it?"....

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
There wasn’t dealer within a 6 hour drive of me that didn’t require a nonrefundable $1000 deposit. Maybe it is different now since they want people to back out of orders…. But when I bought my 392 they weren’t quite as hot. So I wouldn’t do it either, bought one on a lot 18 hours away.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I have ordered vehicles for years and never paid a deposit...until this order. I have also never ordered from a dealer that wasn't convenient to my house...until this order. I usually shop around locally and secure the best deal I can get but with the way things are now, all of the dealers in my area are wanting MSRP, or more, and unless the vehicle is some type of special limited production vehicle, I'm not paying MSRP. So, with this order I am buying through Gupton in Tennessee and I had to pay a $1000 deposit. I don't feel too bad though because I am getting it at 7% below invoice and I like the Nashville area and I can take it on some trails on the way back home..

Sponsored

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
If you're concerned about the economy, rising gas prices and are walking away from $1K deposit to buy a $25-$30K econobox to save gas and downshift your costs... sure it makes sense if you think it does and you need to do this.

it makes as much sense to walk away as it does to not walk away and pay $45K to save $1K.

Sometimes we change our mind and that's ok. buyers remorse is real and cars take so long to build, you have time to get it.

only you can answer what makes sense for your personal financial situation.

Bejer

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport Firecracker Red
Hell yes! Just bought my second one earlier this year.
But, being this is a forum of Wrangler enthusiasts, our opinions may be biased.
As far as the 6 month wait goes, it may seem that way reading the forums but the people that didn't wait that long aren't posting about it. I was prepared to wait months, My order took 11 days.

Gas prices, etc. change all of the time, I spend an hour a day driving back and forth to work, I'm not going to drive a miserable econobox. I'll make cuts elsewhere if I need to, but that's me, your priorities may be different.

NashJeepGal

First Name
Candy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Altitude
I’d say stick it out until your order comes in. Some are delivered much faster than 6 months, some take longer. But once you take your new Jeep for a drive with the top down, you’ll be hooked. I know I was. Oh, and another plus is Jeeps really hold their value, so in some ways it’s an investment

scott.roams

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Researching...
What's the primary reason for the change of heart? If it's no longer the Wrangler what's the Plan B in the back of your mind that seems to be putting it more at ease?

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I understand this post. Did you order a Wrangler and leave a Non-refundable Deposit? I agree with another person, not every Jeep takes 6 months to arrive. Mine took 6 weeks to arrive.
Lastly, whether you hold it for 1 year or 10 years, a Jeep is a fantastic investment as they hold value, regardless of gas pricing & economy, better than any other vehicle out their. Especially if you're ordering a coveted model with the right features
Nobody should ever walk away from a non-refundable deposit.
Best of luck

Sponsored

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Several options; 1. If you want to walk away from a deposit, ask the dealer if they can return it or let you use the deposit for something else on their lot. 2. You could advertise it somewhere else, and take a bit of a loss on the deposit. 3. You could also hold true to your purchase as Jeeps hold their value, and in 2 years you could trade it in on something else.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
These questions crack me up. I’m fairly sure without a detailed look at your age, income, portfolio, and future goals none of us on here can answer this question for you. You would literally be better off asking a magic 8 ball.

But since you asked I say if your going to buy a toy, buy a 392. I doubt you would regret it.

06F2DD6D-7DE3-4189-BC35-ECFCCCDBAAEA.jpeg

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

Put my $1000 deposit down on 4/12. The jeep is already built and waiting to ship. 2 door seems to be faster

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Lots of good answers here so far. The main question is: what's the reason for the change of heart?

Is it *just* frustration with the six month wait?

Or has this much time given you a chance to realize that the Wrangler is really going to be stretching your budget, and now's not a great time to take on an expensive car payment?

If it's just the first one - hey we all get impatient - I placed my order in November six months ago and I'm still in "D" status waiting for parts allocation. Play the long game and wait it out.

But, if it's the second one, well, giving up a Grover Cleveland in order to avoid going much deeper into the hole might be your soundest most prudent financial move.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I'm not sure I understand this post. Did you order a Wrangler and leave a Non-refundable Deposit? I agree with another person, not every Jeep takes 6 months to arrive. Mine took 6 weeks to arrive.
Lastly, whether you hold it for 1 year or 10 years, a Jeep is a fantastic investment as they hold value, regardless of gas pricing & economy, better than any other vehicle out their. Especially if you're ordering a coveted model with the right features
Nobody should ever walk away from a non-refundable deposit.
Best of luck
Jeeps have held their value over the last three years. Some have actually appreciated over that time. The same is true of our diesel motorhome and pickup truck, both of which would normally be among the world’s fastest depreciating assets.

I’ve been buying Jeeps for 45 years. They have held their value during 3 of those 45 years. I wouldn’t count on that trend continuing.

OP, since money doesn’t matter, the vehicle is just a toy, and you expect your Jeep interest to be just a passing curiosity, why are we even having this conversation? Why not leave the order in place, get about your business, and see what whim strikes you when you get the delivery call from the dealer?

What the rest of us think doesn’t matter, but since you have the curiosity, and you can afford to indulge it, you might as well do it. Any way you slice it, you’ll be getting off cheap if you decide to sell your Jeep after a year or two and without developing the addiction many of us here have. It’s very easy to drop $100,000 or more on a wrangler.
Sponsored