Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
If it's just a toy car, why not just lease it for 24 months?
If it's just an occasional toy, a Turo rental might be fun and economical, not just in money, but time and space. A few years back, I was curious about purchasing a Polaris Slingshot, so I Turo rented one. It was great fun, but not worth the time to maintain nor the space to store to me. Occasional Turo renting is magnitudes cheaper than ownership.

It's kinda like car prostitution. The real value in paying a prostitute is that she leaves on demand.

If you buy a Jeep, you're pretty much obligated to visit the forum for entertainment and for info how to fix and modify it. It's a slippery slope. LOL
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
If you can afford it, and have always wanted one, go ahead and buy it. If you are worried about the economy, because that will change your income, skip it.

needajeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubi EcoDiesel
I don't need a Wrangler, it is totally a toy/luxury purchase. I have never owned a Jeep and wanted to experience top/doorless life. But is it still a good time to buy one with six month wait times and an uncertain economy? This is not my forever car, I probably won't keep it beyond a year or two.

Would you walk away from a $1000 deposit?
My opinion here on the forums is in the minority, but take it from me .. who is a guy who pulled the trigger, unless money means nothing to you or if this is your second or third vehicle don't do it. If you don't destroy it offroad or get into a bad accident I think a Wrangler is always as sound a financial decision as one can make with a vehicle. So no problem there. The issue comes in if you are going to use this as my daily driver or want to take it over 10 miles away on the highway. .it drives so atrociously bad that you'll find yourself secretly hoping someone else would drive. Every time I have to drive it over 20 miles away on a highway I think 10x about how much I really want to go.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
My opinion here on the forums is in the minority, but take it from me .. who is a guy who pulled the trigger <<snip>> It drives so atrociously bad that you'll find yourself secretly hoping someone else would drive. Every time I have to drive it over 20 miles away on a highway I think 10x about how much I really want to go.
Bullsh@t! :LOL:

First, almost everybody on this site has ā€œpulled the triggerā€ on a wrangler; thatā€™s why weā€™re here.

A new Jeep Wrangler drives wonderfully, unless youā€™re expecting it to drive like something other than a short-wheelbase, four-wheel drive, SUV (in which case youā€™re an idiot).

Wranglers arenā€™t optimized for comfort on the interstate, obviously, so you should take your 7-series BMW when youā€™re going to spend the day on the highway.

Iā€™m old and soft, and I still look forward to topless/doorless summer drives in the Jeep, even when the drive includes 150 or 200 miles on state highway. Itā€™s perfectly comfortable and downright fun to be ripping around in a road-legal golf cart.

Sponsored

Backroads

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 Gas
I'm not an attorney, but legally, most states cannot keep a deposit regardless. You must cancel in writing and request your deposit to be returned in writing. We ordered from Kent in Idaho (Petersen) and he advised us that he would need a $1000 non refundable deposit. I immediately shared that it is illegal to withhold a deposit, he agreed but said he says this to 'weed' out the flakey buyers and that yes, he would be required to refund our deposit if we cancelled in writing.

JulieF

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Limited.
I don't need a Wrangler, it is totally a toy/luxury purchase. I have never owned a Jeep and wanted to experience top/doorless life. But is it still a good time to buy one with six month wait times and an uncertain economy? This is not my forever car, I probably won't keep it beyond a year or two.

Would you walk away from a $1000 deposit?
1) that deposit should be refundable 2)
I ordered my Jeep Wrangler unlimited 4/22. It will be at the dealership the first or second week of June. Very fast, but the average time I was told was three, not 6 months

FarmYard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Rubi
I started with a tj years ago to see if I even liked Jeeps. Loved it in the bush, hated it on the highway. Few years later we got a jk 4dr, whole family loves it. It became our daily family fun. So good in any type of weather. Now we are waiting for our JL rubi 6 spd and can't wait for a new Jeep experience. We have bought 10k in goodies for it so far just the need the Jeep to arrive. Ordered end of dec 2021. Should be here in a few weeks dealer said.

OP
OP
ALT

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
The Koons dealership requires a $1000 non-refundable deposit. I didn't think much of it because I was set on getting the Wrangler but this waiting period has my mind wandering. The economic forecast and cost of goods are having me doubt my decision. I figure most everyone buying a new Wrangler has some level of disposable income.

I buy nice things but only when they are a 'bargain.' The only MSRP vehicle I have ordered was a 4R TRD Pro and that is because they go for $10-15k over MSRP in my area. I could not find another dealer able to beat the Koons price.

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
Bullsh@t! :LOL:

First, almost everybody on this site has ā€œpulled the triggerā€ on a wrangler; thatā€™s why weā€™re here.

A new Jeep Wrangler drives wonderfully, unless youā€™re expecting it to drive like something other than a short-wheelbase, four-wheel drive, SUV (in which case youā€™re an idiot).

Wranglers arenā€™t optimized for comfort on the interstate, obviously, so you should take your 7-series BMW when youā€™re going to spend the day on the highway.

Iā€™m old and soft, and I still look forward to topless/doorless summer drives in the Jeep, even when the drive includes 150 or 200 miles on state highway. Itā€™s perfectly comfortable and downright fun to be ripping around in a road-legal golf cart.
Agreed. That post was total horse puckey. I realize everybody is different. I hate sports cars but I've driven about every shape and size of SUV and have no issues jumping in my newest Jeep for 2, 10, 50, or 350 miles. I'll dream up excuses to do just that especially if the top is off. Maybe, just maybe, I miss my 4-Runners at 70 miles per hour in 40 mph gusts in storms while on I-65 but that's about it. No "comfort" complaints here. Maybe I'm old but I'm not soft...

Sponsored

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
I know that sounds dismissive, but these vehicles are expensive, inefficient, and costly to accessorize. Itā€™s a luxury toy.
my wifey wanted a GWagon AMG for her birthday and I pushed her towards a Jeep 392. They are cheap and not an expensive toy. But this may be relative. I am paying for it and I saved some money.

I donā€™t think she even knows that the Rubi 392 does not even come with automatic seats and all the other gadgets ;) šŸ˜† lol

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
my wifey wanted a GWagon AMG for her birthday and I pushed her towards a Jeep 392. They are cheap and not an expensive toy. But this may be relative. I am paying for it and I saved some money.

I donā€™t think she even knows that the Rubi 392 does not even come with automatic seats and all the other gadgets ;) šŸ˜† lol
Yeah, compared to the GW you did good.

Just hope someone doesnā€™t explain it to her later, or itā€™ll cost you double. šŸ˜†

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)

Cheap? No, even if the person making the assessment is Elon Musk. Affordable? Maybe, depending on your circumstance. :facepalm:

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
Cheap? No, even if the person making the assessment is Elon Musk. Affordable? Maybe, depending on your circumstance. :facepalm:
Elon sucks.

I apologize for the wrong ā€˜wordā€™ choice. I think a Jeep 392 is reasonable (not cheap) considering itā€™s a 4.5 sec 0-60 and the hard core ā€˜Americanā€™ HEMI V8.
Not to mention that the next gen might not be able to appreciate (or know about) the ā€˜soundā€™ of a V8 hemi.
Everything is going electric with no sound and companies like BMW/ Porsche are struggling to develop and patent their signature sound. Yes, they install speakers to produce sound so that pedestrians know a vehicle is approaching.
Go figure!
Sponsored