Sponsored

Would you still buy a Wrangler if Jeep did not build custom orders?

Would you still buy a Wrangler if Jeep did not offer custom orders?

• Total voters

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I can never find what I want in stock on a dealer's lot. I want a stick shift on any vehicle I buy (unless it's for my wife), and I don't want to pay for things I don't care about. I also don't like "packages" requiring that I take two or more options bundled in a group, when I only want one of those things. I'd rather each option was separate. E.g., why do I have to pay $200 for a garage door opener if all I want is heated seats?
I felt the same way. I made a few posts about it a while ago. Especially since I have a manual so I don't even get remote start.

But now that I have it I actually like having the integrated garage door opener. If it had not been required I would have never gotten it.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think this depends on where you live. In the DFW metro- you have a lot of options. Instead of ordering, I usually just drop a line to places I’ve worked with and ask if they have x options. Within 24 hours, my exact match is waiting with keys in hand.

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I think this depends on where you live. In the DFW metro- you have a lot of options. Instead of ordering, I usually just drop a line to places I’ve worked with and ask if they have x options. Within 24 hours, my exact match is waiting with keys in hand.
Part of it absolutely depends on which options, trims, and transmission you want. If you have to have a low options manual transmission wrangler in an obscure color, good luck finding one on a dealer lot. Whereas if you want a red or grayscale automatic Sahara with some options... dealers have oodles of those ready to go.

Manual trans 2 door alone is pretty much nonexistent at my local dealerships (even for JKs).

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
You can find one with everything you want. People just prefer to order and then complain about how long it's taking.

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
You can find one with everything you want. People just prefer to order and then complain about how long it's taking.
Not always. 2 door manual in a unique color without extra options? Good luck finding stuff like that as dealer stock. If you're looking for a grayscale 4 door auto, then yes--you'll probably find a suitable example.

Just depends. The orders make rare combinations possible.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Considering you can custom order any vehicle from any manufacturer it’s almost silly to ask the “if you couldn’t?”

That said had I been able to find what I wanted in a dealer lot 3 months ago I would have bought it (loaded Rubicon in red), but there were none to be had and I wasn’t willing to compromise on what I wanted in my fourth Wrangler. Now, three months later I’m thinking I should have just gotten the Hemi Trailhawk.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I was kind of flexible on the color, but I didn't want a dark color, given that I live in a hot climate.

We don't have to pay extra for heated seats around here, we have them year round. Now, seats that were perforated and had cold air blowing up through them sure would be nice during the hotter 6+ months out of the year.

I went with the base Sport model. I did not want power locks, power windows, or pretty much any of those extra bells and whistles. All I added to it was air-conditioning, a hard top, and the anti-spin rear differential. My wife wanted red, but I would have probably preferred white. The green or orange would also have been acceptable. I would not buy any of the shades of gray, silver, black, or blue. A sage green or khaki choice would have been nice though so that the dirt / mud would not show up as much. My Ram was some sort of almond / beige color and I suspect that I could have gone a year without washing it and it would not have been noticeable. It literally was *dirt colored*... :)

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
And I’ll reply from the other extreme. 2 door Rubi with it all*. See my avatar for my Build sheet. Nothing on this continent.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Even though it might seem that there are a lot of options available for Jeep in that you configure a JLUR up to around $60K, it pales in comparison to what can be achieve by some brands. I remember many years ago noticing that Porsche had an option for ostrich leather seats and even an ostrich leather key fob.

Sponsored

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering you can custom order any vehicle from any manufacturer it’s almost silly to ask the “if you couldn’t?”

That said had I been able to find what I wanted in a dealer lot 3 months ago I would have bought it (loaded Rubicon in red), but there were none to be had and I wasn’t willing to compromise on what I wanted in my fourth Wrangler. Now, three months later I’m thinking I should have just gotten the Hemi Trailhawk.
This is not true. Not all brands take customer orders. It's what pushed me away from getting a Tacoma.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
For me, ordering is pretty much the only option--that or a different vehicle entirely. I demand a manual transmission two door in an interesting color, and that alone is something dealers rarely stock. Combine that with the fact I'd prefer a Sport or Sport S, and it becomes nonexistent.

It's cool you can get them to your exacting specifications. Ocean Blue tan interior 2 door JL Sport 6MT with softtop, A/C and Anti-Spin axle for the win!
I'm with you on this.

I wanted a base sport Mojito with auto tranny and hard top. When I first requested this...there wasn't one in a 600mile radius on the lot. I didn't want a Sport S. I just wanted the base sport, as I actually WANTED the manual locks and windows (it's nostalgic for me). That was REALLY important to me. Also, the black and green color scheme was necessary for me to purchase.

I mean I was gonna buy a wrangler anyway as nothing else on the market fits my personality...so I don't think I wouldn't have bought a Wrangler (especially if I could've had it painted green after the purchase). But idk it was extremely important that I order what I wanted bc dealers didn't have it.

Good question.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed! Everything on the lots were either Black, white, or grey...some red. I had two dealers search a 600mile radius for Mojito, auto tranny, hardtop, Sport w/manual windows and locks. NO1 had it...and my custom build took less than a month to get delivered to me. It was extremely basic...but they didn't order many Mojitos Sport

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
My local dealer orders strange specs so I would have to look around the country. The local dealer doesn’t order LEDs and doesn’t order cold weather package with a leather interior. Both are must-haves for a DD in the Northwest.

To clarify, leather isn’t a must-have. But if you have it, absolutely need heated seats in the winter to not freeze your backside.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
you all must have too many wants just for a vehicle. I'm more simple. It just needs Hard Top, 8-Speed and Limited Slip. Anything else is just a luxury.
Sponsored