Sponsored

Should you still buy?

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I don't need a Wrangler, it is totally a toy/luxury purchase. I have never owned a Jeep and wanted to experience top/doorless life. But is it still a good time to buy one with six month wait times and an uncertain economy? This is not my forever car, I probably won't keep it beyond a year or two.

Would you walk away from a $1000 deposit?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It would be nice to have that kind of disposable income. But, to answer your question, even if I could afford to do so I wouldn't.

Second, I'd never leave more than $500 for a deposit and I'd make sure that I had in writing that the deposit was refundable.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Sounds like you already ordered one so when it arrives, lease it. Enjoy it for a couple of years and then if you don't like it, walk away. If you do like it, purchase it at the end of the lease.

Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
If $1k is a problem in your budget, you shouldn’t be shopping Wranglers at all.

I know that sounds dismissive, but these vehicles are expensive, inefficient, and costly to accessorize. It’s a luxury toy.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

All I’m saying is don’t stress your budget over a vehicle. No matter what it may be.

4Runfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2022 Rubicon
If it's a want and not a need - why not just wait it out and see how you feel in 6 months?

Are finances the concern? Are you better to walk away from $1K vs making a $45K+ decision? Only you can answer that. Buy and Flip or If you aren't planning on keeping in beyond a year or 2, why not just lease?

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
If you've already dropped a deposit that you can't get back, this appears to be the absolute wrong time to ask that question. Not trying to be an ass, just saying.

Sponsored

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
Six month wait times are the exception, not the rule. Though if you look around the forum you’d think the opposite.……..Theres a thread called Ask Ratbert and he has some actuals because he’s been pinging the FCA database gathering data, it’s more a 3 to 4 month wait with a few longer ones mixed in.

I took the plunge last year, always wanted one but didn’t know if it would be a long term vehicle so I leased it just in case it wasn’t what I wanted. After 8 months of ownership I know I’m keeping it.

And no, I would not walk away from a deposit.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I don't need a Wrangler, it is totally a toy/luxury purchase. I have never owned a Jeep and wanted to experience top/doorless life. But is it still a good time to buy one with six month wait times and an uncertain economy? This is not my forever car, I probably won't keep it beyond a year or two.

I have purchased 23 new cars, including 2 Wranglers, most of the vehicles were ordered, and I have never made I deposit. When the vehicle arrives at the dealer, I buy it. It's about trust.

So I would never pay a deposit and fortunately I have never been asked to do so.

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
Only you can answer that for yourself. For me though, heck yes, it was worth it! It took 3.5 months for my order to come in and I love it (and the weather hasn't even been nice enough to go topless yet). Like others said, depending on how good of a deal you got on it, take it and flip it if you decide it's not for you. Used Wranglers still cost more than new orders right now.

LongDriver

First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tuscadero JLU 4XE, 22 Snazzleberry JLU 4XE
If it's just a toy car, why not just lease it for 24 months?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
A Jeep is a bi-polar kind of vehicle. You either really want one, or you really don't. There is no middle of the road. If you're on the fence, think about it because you'll find yourself very firmly on one side of the fence or the other.

I've found it best to not worry about the economy. Worry about yourself. You can find yourself perfectly fine during an economic downturn. You can also find yourself in dire straights during an economic boom. The economy as a whole is not your personal situation. Don't be fearful just because a suit on the news says you should be. Focus on your situation.
Sponsored