Shock upgrade

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
I got my 20 2.0 Sport a couple years ago, and for the sake of saving a few bucks, put on the RC 2.5" lift. I remember years ago, somebody on a different Jeep forum said that Rough Country is called rough for a reason. Lol..

So, now, 2 years later, I'm considering upgrading the shocks. I'm on the process of changing out all 8 control arms to the Rock Crawler adjustable arms.

What's a good, quality upgrade? I've been looking at the Falcon SP2 3.1 piggyback shocks. They're a little pricey, but I'm also looking for a smoother ride. Are there some cheaper, monotube shocks that can offer a smoother ride?
Sponsored

JKS Manufacturing

First Name
JKS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Occupation
Suspension Manufacturer
FOX just released a Performance Series 2.5" monotube shock for JL's.

Consistent and fade-resistant performance due to high-quality materials: 2.5-inch aluminum bodies and race-developed main piston with a true internal floating piston (IFP) to separate gas and oil. The 2.5-inch piston offers a greater force capability by moving more fluid and increasing damping and is less prone to cavitation.

The larger diameter valve assembly improves comfort through a wider dynamic range. This allows for a supple feel as velocity increases when transitioning from crawling to fast trail driving:

• Tuned specifically for optimum ride and performance on larger plus-size wheel and tire packages.
  • The same high-quality aluminum bodies and internal floating piston architecture used in our Performance Series 2.0 shocks.
  • New 2.5-inch diameter shocks have more surface area and increase oil capacity of the shock, allowing for more heat dissipation.
  • Larger diameter valve shims translate to smoother feel: think firmness without harshness, allowing for a softer tune.
  • 50% more piston surface area provides less damping fade and more bottom-out control at higher speeds.

• Jeep Wrangler JL Shock upgrade DSC_1455

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
If you are after the best ride, we can get you a set of tuned Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks. We would change the valving specific to your Jeeps weight and driving preference. They would not have generic off the shelf valving. These would also be rebuildable later on when the time comes and can be done my most shops. IFP shocks, not so much. You would be looking at about $1500 for all 4 shocks. Tuning and shipping is free
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/kit-18-jeep-wrangler-jl-fox-2-0-performance-series-2-3-lift/

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
OK, I'm kind of torn between both of the above.. Both seem like great options. @JKS Manufacturing I can't seem to find those online to read more about. @AccuTunedJL I like the idea of these being rebuildable, and tuneable. (is that even a word)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you are after the best ride, we can get you a set of tuned Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks. We would change the valving specific to your Jeeps weight and driving preference. They would not have generic off the shelf valving. These would also be rebuildable later on when the time comes and can be done my most shops. IFP shocks, not so much. You would be looking at about $1500 for all 4 shocks. Tuning and shipping is free
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/kit-18-jeep-wrangler-jl-fox-2-0-performance-series-2-3-lift/
Hey Mike, is the shocks JKS is talking about the same ones that come in Mopar lift ?

Sponsored

JKS Manufacturing

First Name
JKS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Occupation
Suspension Manufacturer
OK, I'm kind of torn between both of the above.. Both seem like great options. @JKS Manufacturing I can't seem to find those online to read more about. @AccuTunedJL I like the idea of these being rebuildable, and tuneable. (is that even a word)
I don't think they're on the website yet, they're a pretty new product for us. But the part number is FOX88624155 and if you're interested in going with those, we can sneak in an order for you. Just let me know. I will try to DM you the press release for them with info.

JKS Manufacturing

First Name
JKS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Occupation
Suspension Manufacturer
Hey Mike, is the shocks JKS is talking about the same ones that come in Mopar lift ?
Same body, different internally. FOX used our JL and JT to tune these specifically for off-road use. Mopar shocks are tuned for a more on-road use. The valving is completely different.

JKS Manufacturing

First Name
JKS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Occupation
Suspension Manufacturer
Also a really great option!

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Serviceable shocks is definitely a nice thing to have on an off-road vehicle. Shoot us a message if you have any specific questions, happy to help.

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I was always wandering. Are Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks adjustable?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Did you like the stock shocks?

I bought bilstein 5100s 2~3inch lift and I feel they ride similar to when my Jeep was bone stock sport, A little stiffer, less "floaty" than it was with Rubicon shocks. And I can definitely make faster turns. I am glad I didn't spend $1000+ on a shock setup. But I also don't notice much things people tend to complain about.

Shock fitment is crucial to a good ride. Regardless of the shock. I would measure your current's shock extended length at ride height, and order a shock accordingly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
I only had the stock shocks on for about 2 weeks & then put the lift on. The ride was good, but after I rode in a friends JLU w/ a similar aftermarket setup and Fox shocks, I realized how roughly mine handled the road.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I was always wandering. Are Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks adjustable?
They can sometimes come with compression adjusters yes. Unfortunately Fox discontinued the 2.0 shocks with low speed adjusters for Jeep JLs