Sponsored

Rubicon Under the Hood?

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Exactly. Don't make it a Rubicon. Make it better than one.
Bingo. You buy a sport to save money on the monthly payments, then upgrade to better than rubicon as time permits. That way you can have a better than a rubi, without the higher payment, and with all that extra cash, get you some extra shots of whiskey at the bar (or perhaps a steak if you dont drink) on the weekend :).

As an old dude told me one time "Don't let your retirement be sitting in your garage" :)

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
As mentioned above, there are a few more things to get all the Rubicon mechanicals. Also, there are some software items, which I think I read that the Tazer can activate as a selectable.

As for swapping any more of the Rubicon parts in, it just depends on whether you'll need them for what you do. 4:1 xfer case and lockers are mostly a rock crawling thing. The Dana 44s are more to take loads from large tires and intermittent traction and some hard pounding. I didn't see where you posted your axle gear ratios. A Rubicon has 4.10:1 gears standard. A Sport has 3.45:1 gears. If you go with 35" or 37" tires, lower gears will help both on-road and off. Big tires rob acceleration performance, fuel economy, and braking performance like a bandit.

The electric swaybar disconnect is more Barbie stuff. It allows you to push a button on the dash to disconnect the front swaybar which allows the suspension to more freely articulate. The same thing has been done manually with inexpensive quick disconnect links on the swaybar for decades. But you have to get under the vehicle and get dirty. Again, not a feature needed for driving on a typical 2-track trail. More crawler stuff.

One fairly pricey mod I'm considering for my Rubicon is some type of film paint protection, like vinyl or the Xpel stuff. My use puts me in 2-track trails with overgrown brush that curls the paint off a vehicle. Being an old man that just goes places to hunt birds with my birdog, I'm sure I coulda got by fine with a stripped down Sport and some bigger tires and a take-off suspension from a Rubicon and a winch.
I have the Xpel on my jeep (the entire front - hood, grill, around the windshield) and couldnt be happier...looks brand new everyday :)

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Santa Monica Jeep is the one who is ordering and installing everything.
I was looking through the Mopar accessories guide, and I noticed there's a couple of part numbers referring to both front and rear Rubicon D44 axles. Both contain 4.10 gears, and e-lockers as you might expect. List pricing is 2695, and 2295 respectively. Of course not including installation.

Something you'll want to ask your dealer, are they installing the locker switchgear in your cabin? Typically the switchgear is located on the very bottom/left side of the dash in red. I cannot find a part number for that, however, you'll want to speak to them about that if you've not done so. Might as well take advantage of the lockers since your installing them.

I was considering a Sport S, and Rubi when purchasing, I just decided on the Rubi since I didnt want to have to build up at that time. To each his own, but a Sport S is a great starting point, and to another's comment will equal a better Rubi in the end with the non-OEM aftermarket accessories.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well, fully half of the fun in Jeep ownership is modifying them. Have fun!

Me being an old man that has less time (left) than $, I just bit the bullet and went with a Rubicon. I probably won't extensively modify it, but you never know. In a year or so, I'll have more time on my hands than I know what to do with.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was looking through the Mopar accessories guide, and I noticed there's a couple of part numbers referring to both front and rear Rubicon D44 axles. Both contain 4.10 gears, and e-lockers as you might expect. List pricing is 2695, and 2295 respectively. Of course not including installation.

Something you'll want to ask your dealer, are they installing the locker switchgear in your cabin? Typically the switchgear is located on the very bottom/left side of the dash in red. I cannot find a part number for that, however, you'll want to speak to them about that if you've not done so. Might as well take advantage of the lockers since your installing them.

I was considering a Sport S, and Rubi when purchasing, I just decided on the Rubi since I didnt want to have to build up at that time. To each his own, but a Sport S is a great starting point, and to another's comment will equal a better Rubi in the end with the non-OEM aftermarket accessories.
This!
If you paid for the mechanical hardware, the switches and harness should be the cheap part. Lockers aren't something most people use often, but again, if you paid for the mechanical hardware, might as well get the electrical hardware to make it work.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well, fully half of the fun in Jeep ownership is modifying them. Have fun!
What’s the difference in fun between the 2?
-buying a Rubicon
-buying a sport S, rubicon parts, and paying someone else to do the work to swap parts

Seems like the long way to get to the same point.

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
-buying a Rubicon
-buying a sport S, rubicon parts, and paying someone else to do the work to swap parts

OP says Jeep dealer is ordering and installing everything -- aside from $$ for all the parts, I wonder how much they are charging for all the labor. Installing the parts yourself is one thing, but the $$ spent on labor (especially from a dealer) can get pretty hefty.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Hmmmm...not sure what to think of this...no comment. :bandit:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
OP says Jeep dealer is ordering and installing everything -- aside from $$ for all the parts, I wonder how much they are charging for all the labor. Installing the parts yourself is one thing, but the $$ spent on labor (especially from a dealer) can get pretty hefty.
You’re going to end up at Rubicon pricing or more, with no real benefits over buying a Rubicon to begin with. I could see doing the work yourself, if not for anything other than personal enjoyment. Reminds me of the people who put huge “built not bought” stickers on their JK’s, that they bought, with the aftermarket parts that they bought, and installed by someone else’s labor that they paid for.

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
-buying a Rubicon

Maybe the owner is looking for a sleeper Sport model.

Or maybe the dealer ordered a Sport by mistake and is taking full responsibility by turning it into a Rubicon. ;)

OP
OP
Sierra_supersport_82
First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018
Maybe the owner is looking for a sleeper Sport model.

Or maybe the dealer ordered a Sport by mistake and is taking full responsibility by turning it into a Rubicon. ;)
I enjoy cheaper insurance cost, cheaper monthly payments and that savings is reinvested into my Jeep. I choose how my money is spent not someone else suggesting what is necessary. What point is it to have a Jeep, if you can't make it your own?

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I've never had a problem making any jeep my own sport or rubi. They're all easily made personal.

Missing tcase, auto swaybar, highline fenders, 7.0 touchscreen unless the sport optioned it. The software offroad options which I really found nice to have first time out with it and all the little touches jeep put on the rubi to make it feel special. To call it a Rubicon clone it would need all the things that make the Rubicon a Rubicon. Vin will always be a sport on documents. In the end who cares if it's what you want and it's doing what you got it for just rock it:rock:

I do wonder tho how you will claim it on insurance? If you dont add coverage for all the extra parts your putting on and some ass wipe hits you and damages or totals it they will value it as a sport or replace it with the factory part for the vin.

I know on my jk that had dynatracs and air lockers etc I paid extra and it was documented that if shit happened I got the same high dollar parts I had dropped into it back.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I enjoy cheaper insurance cost, cheaper monthly payments and that savings is reinvested into my Jeep. I choose how my money is spent not someone else suggesting what is necessary. What point is it to have a Jeep, if you can't make it your own?
I’m not sure the math works out but to each their own.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
You will lose money when you go to sell or trade it in. Because a Rubicon has all the Rubicon stuff figured into the price new and resell value. The Sport will still only be valued as a sport when you go to sell it since that is what the VIN says it is. You get little to nothing for any modifications or adds you make to it.
Sponsored