Sponsored

Rubicon snow/winter traction help needed

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Before I bought my 2018 JLUR I drove a Chevy Avalanche and never had any problems getting around in the winter, specifically up my snow covered driveway.

With my Rubicon and 35" Toyo RTs I can barely make it up my driveway or any kind of incline that is snow covered. I've tried going super easy on the throttle, putting it in 4HI, and hardly see any improvement. My Avalanche would go almost anywhere in 4HI. Even my wife's 2WD Equinox can get right up our driveway in the winter, while I'm slipping and spinning, and have to back up and get a rolling start to make it in the garage.

Can anyone speed up my learning curve on how to get better traction in the snow and ice? Is there a setting I'm not aware of that will make this thing get around better in the snow? I know I can't lock the rear differential unless I'm in 4LO, which won't work for in town driving anyway. Does enabling the differential lock in 4HI with a Tazer make a huge difference?

Thank you in advance for any input!
Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not to certain how to help, I really didn't see any issues last year through the snow even on mountain passes. Maybe it's your tires? I've had Wildpeaks(33's) and I am now on Patagonia's(35's) with no issues. I would maybe try to add some weight, I know when I used to have a truck I would through 2x75lb sandbag tubes over the wheels wells .

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I understand where you are coming from. While Jeeps do pretty decent in snow, they are nowhere as sure footed as a big heavy truck in my experience.

I do a lot of snowmobiling which entails chasing the snow or heading north when its really laying it down. I would always prefer to be in my Ram. Way more sure footed.

Limited slip in helps in the snow. Since the Rubicon is open until locked, enabling the operation of locker in 4hi would help for those driveway situations.

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So my old JKU had incredible traction, I'd rarely use 4wd in snow (it tended to get me in trouble). 6 inches of snow in the winter was easily navigable without 4WD. With 4WD on, it made me too brave, and I pushed it, and got stuck in 16 inches of fresh snow lol

I javen't made it a winter with the JLU yet, but I'm confident it'll be a similar experience.

Sponsored

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I would ask what tire pressure are you running? I think those are F rated tires, max pressure is 80 lbs. In a Jeep, you should be no where near that. I think most people (various tires) find a sweet spot of 25 to 35 lbs. I keep mine between 28 and 32.
Also, yes, lockers would help if you can configure to lock in 4 H.

Did you have the same trouble with stock tires? This would bring up a different tire compound, tread pattern, tire footprint (square inches), and finally the mechanical advantage of a smaller tire.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
There's a relationship with tire width and vehicle weight and snowy roads, right? Sounds like your tires are too wide for your vehicle weight on your driveway snow and you're floating instead of digging. Maybe some pizza cutters would serve you better in the winter? You can find 32s in about 9" widths and 33s just over 10" wide... You'll be hard pressed to get skinny 35" winter rated tires though.

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So looking at your tires, they aren't rated for winter use, and while there are sipes, there aren't many of them, it could be related to your challenges.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Others may disagree, but I've always had great snow performance from BFG KO2s.

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is the result of a large, floatation tire on a relatively light vehicle, resulting in the tire contact patch/surface area distributing the vehicle weight over a larger area.

I'd suggest going to a smaller tire size or OEM size, in a good all-terrain that has the "3 peak mountain snowflake" rating on it (such as the BFG KO2), preferably in a "C" or "D" load range (unless you really need that "E" rating for heavy loads, the stiff sidewall prevents you from airing down properly and contributes to a harsher ride).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Others may disagree, but I've always had great snow performance from BFG KO2s.
Me too. The stock 33"s on my Rubicon have been great in the snow. when I'm in 4H, i can easily scale my dirt road which has a very steep grade. It's also done well on a forest road that had accumulated about 10" of snow.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I just remembered Interco makes a Super Swamper SSR in 35x10.5R17LT. They claim to be siped for wet/icy conditions, but I'm not sure they compare to a tire that's more purpose-built for winter weather. This may be the narrowest 35 that's road legal.

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I used to plow snow with my JK Rubicon. I was running 33 inch K02s. It would go through the snow very well. Locking the rear diff makes a big difference. Would recommend a programmer that will allow locking in 4H.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
If you see no improvement going into 4Hi, is it possible 4WD is not engaging for some reason? For me the backend does slip pretty easily on icy roads if its in 2HI, but never had any issues in 4HI.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The newest Toyo AT3s are 3 peak snow rated and come in a narrower 35x11.5x17 which would perform much better since they're narrower and have the winter-based rubber compound. Have a 50k mileage warranty and are getting stellar reviews.
They are also C-load rated in that size
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3
Sponsored