Sponsored

Rubicon snow/winter traction help needed

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
We use our JL with OEM KO2s a ton driving up and down mtn roads to various ski resorts. Was just up today and this pic had the tires sitting on a layer of ice. In 4H on a parking lot incline no slippage - then tried 2H and same result with no slippage. Have weighed the pros and cons - and will probs get these 285s again since my chains fit them perfectly. Gearing is perfect with ok acceleration - tires are not too heavy that might compromise components - ride is smooth and not too noisy - grip is good enough in rain snow and ice - sidewalls handle airing up and down w/o cracking - tread wears evenly and balances perfectly.

Only tangible negative for us is faster tread wear than expected. Suspect that the cause is the softer tread compound. Yes if you take a corner fast the rear end will unweight and let go in rain snow and ice. No tire does everything 100%. But because it does everything else good enough as a compromise AT - it is hard to deny. Def Toyo Falken GY etc have 3PMSF ATs as well but each of them also have their own pros and cons too. Problem is these KO2s have never let us down when it counted - making it hard to switch. For our uses these KO2s give us enough solid traction making dedicated snows not really required. Only thing is take iced up downhill corners prudently slow.

7B1DB37C-E1B3-48E7-939E-D05E1ECB2E0D.png
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I was recently testing the different drive modes through a field of mud that was about a foot deep. My JLUR is on 38x13.50's. I first tried 2hi, and it went through with some wheel slipping. Next was 4hi, and it definitely reduced wheel slippage. Via the Tazer mini, I locked the rear in 2hi. I was amazed in how it went through the mud with greater ease than 4hi unlocked.

My vote is for getting a Tazer to unlock the factory nannies. As long as the path is level from side to side, the lockers will help.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
In my very humble opinion it must be the tires. I have a Sport S with open diffs (no locking anything) and have not yet had any issues in the snow.

I live in Northern Colorado where snow is the rule rather than the exception. My stock 31.5" Michelins tracked through the snow well depending only upon the grade. I've since lifted my rig and am now running Goodyear All-Terrain Duratrac 35s. They grab in the snow like they have built in chains.

Research your rubber. I'm quite certain that your Rubicon is way more snow worthy than my Sport.

Jay

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Get the tazer. The open diffs on an extremely traction limited surface is a killer. If someone was outside they probably saw one wheel spinning on each axle. While the computer will try to help out by using the brakes to divert torque to the other wheel, snow is tough. JL Sports probably have an easier time because they have a limited slip diff in the rear. Having both wheels spinning is HUGE in snow. Get the tazer and lock just the rear diff. I bet it makes all the difference. I wouldn't lock the front diff in the snow unless it's absolutely necessary.

OP
OP
Ribs33

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I would ask what tire pressure are you running? I think those are F rated tires, max pressure is 80 lbs. In a Jeep, you should be no where near that. I think most people (various tires) find a sweet spot of 25 to 35 lbs. I keep mine between 28 and 32.
Also, yes, lockers would help if you can configure to lock in 4 H.

Did you have the same trouble with stock tires? This would bring up a different tire compound, tread pattern, tire footprint (square inches), and finally the mechanical advantage of a smaller tire.
I run 30-32 psi at all times. I had the 35s on since I purchased so unfortunately didn't have a chance to see how the stock tires would've performed in the snow.

I agree that the smaller, skinnier tires appear to cut through the snow more effectively and provide better traction.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ribs33

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The newest Toyo AT3s are 3 peak snow rated and come in a narrower 35x11.5x17 which would perform much better since they're narrower and have the winter-based rubber compound. Have a 50k mileage warranty and are getting stellar reviews.
They are also C-load rated in that size
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3
Those AT3s look really good! I'm not sure upper management will approve my purchasing a new set of tires already so I may try the Tazer in the meantime, hoping that locking the differential will at least help me a little bit.

Thank you for the info on the new Toyos!

OP
OP
Ribs33

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the result of a large, floatation tire on a relatively light vehicle, resulting in the tire contact patch/surface area distributing the vehicle weight over a larger area.

I'd suggest going to a smaller tire size or OEM size, in a good all-terrain that has the "mountain snowflake" rating on it (such as the BFG KO2), preferably in a "C" or "D" load range (unless you really need that "E" rating for heavy loads, the stiff sidewall prevents you from airing down properly and contributes to a harsher ride).
Thank you for the info! It would be great to find some OEM takeoffs to run during the winter and switch back to the Toyos for the rest of the year.

OP
OP
Ribs33

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a relationship with tire width and vehicle weight and snowy roads, right? Sounds like your tires are too wide for your vehicle weight on your driveway snow and you're floating instead of digging. Maybe some pizza cutters would serve you better in the winter? You can find 32s in about 9" widths and 33s just over 10" wide... You'll be hard pressed to get skinny 35" winter rated tires though.
It seems the best of both worlds would be to find a set of OEM takeoffs to run during the winter, or buy a Tazer and see if locking the differential will at least help a little...definitely be the cheaper option! Thanks for the info!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Others may disagree, but I've always had great snow performance from BFG KO2s.
^^^ this!

BFG KO2, Goodyear Duratrac or General Grabber AT-X will give amazing traction in snow, comfortable ride on road, and competent traction on dirt. Of these three, KO2 and Grabber AT-X are excellent all around tires; Duratrac does slightly better in snow but are notorious for weak sidewalls on the trail.

I hated driving my JK Rubicon with MTs on snow-covered roads. It was all over the place. These all-terrains are so much better.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon snow/winter traction help needed 510C7323-ED04-4C58-952B-1B29823BB433

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've had 2WD trucks, 4WD trucks, and multiple Wranglers. Never once have I lamented the fact that the jeep sucks compared to my trucks for traction in snow. A good AT tire with the "mountain" symbol aired to a proper PSI will get you most any where in ANY WEATHER.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Tazer mini... where do I make that setting change to lock rear.

Thanks.

I was recently testing the different drive modes through a field of mud that was about a foot deep. My JLUR is on 38x13.50's. I first tried 2hi, and it went through with some wheel slipping. Next was 4hi, and it definitely reduced wheel slippage. Via the Tazer mini, I locked the rear in 2hi. I was amazed in how it went through the mud with greater ease than 4hi unlocked.

My vote is for getting a Tazer to unlock the factory nannies. As long as the path is level from side to side, the lockers will help.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Tazer mini... where do I make that setting change to lock rear.

Thanks.
Its one of the "live" features, which are automatically unlocked as long as the tazer is married and plugged in.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
^^^ this!

BFG KO2, Goodyear Duratrac or General Grabber AT-X will give amazing traction in snow, comfortable ride on road, and competent traction on dirt. Of these three, KO2 and Grabber AT-X are excellent all around tires; Duratrac does slightly better in snow but are notorious for weak sidewalls on the trail.

I hated driving my JK Rubicon with MTs on snow-covered roads. It was all over the place. These all-terrains are so much better.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon snow/winter traction help needed 510C7323-ED04-4C58-952B-1B29823BB433
We normally have a Jeep and a Ram. My last two Rams and last two Jeeps have all worn KO2s. I live in the country on gravel, and frequently have to haul my volunteers out of snowbanks they accidently parked in. The KO2s get it done.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link

Turchman

First Name
Jim