Sponsored

Rubi Recon

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
I've been out West for the past two weeks and it's time to update my build thread.

I'll call this Stage One-Lift. Here's what we've done so far:

- MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer Lift
- MetalCloak Tie Rod & HD Drag Link
- Falcon SP2 3.3 Shocks
- Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Steering Stabilizer
- Fox Race Series 2.0 Bump Stops
- TeraFlex Alpha HD ADJ. Spare Tire Mount
- 17" Fuel Covert Beadlocks -38mm/"3.630 B.S.
- Nitto 37 X 12.50 Ridge Grapplers "D" Rated
- Tazer Mini

ACCESSORIES

- Baja Designs LP4's
- Diode Dynamics Stage Series 3" LED Pods
- Diode Dynamics Clear LED Side Markers
- Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
- Warn Epic 1.0 Fairlead/Graphite
- Factor 55 E-Link
- Artec Industries Winch Plate
- M.O.R.E Dead Pedal
- M.O.R.E. Fire Extinguisher Mount
- Quadratec Flashlight Mount
- Mopar Stainless Sill Guards
- Mopar Custom Tailgate Table
- Mopar Bumper Mount Light Brackets
- 67 Designs Track Mount System
- Rhino-Rack Vortex SG-59 Rack
- AEV Diff. Covers
- SmittyBilt Beaver Tail
- Cobra 75 WX-ST
- Max-3 Stealth Plate Mount

Here's a few updated pics...

That moment when it's sitting on the ground for the first time and you're thinking...wow, I really like where this is going!
IMG_0835.jpg

First flex and clearance check...I was grinning like a fool when I saw this!
6FF0EDE7-3B45-4417-BD6A-D1522BE44A22.JPG

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

After first flex, we moved the front axle ~3/8" forward and made a small adjustment to the steering stabilizer.
IMG_0852 2.jpeg

While in St. George, we did a night run on West Rim Trail with Dixie 4 Wheel Drive. Great to take the new build out on the trail and real world test it.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 7.28.45 AM.png

I'll be adding more detailed content to the YouTube channel soon. Stay tuned for that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven
Can you share how much front and rear bump stop you ended up with?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Can you share how much front and rear bump stop you ended up with?
Hi JJ, I'm running ~ 3" (3 pads) front and rear. The MetalCloak bump stop pads I recall being right around an inch each.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0806D

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0811D

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
A quick update on the Falcon SP2 3.3's after getting two wheeling trips and ~ 2K miles on them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0806

In an earlier post, I wrote that my initial thoughts on them were that they rode pretty firm, so much so, that I thought perhaps I made a mistake running these. I'm happy to report that after getting some miles on the Falcons that they've broken in nicely.

I'm running them right in the middle of the settings:
- SP set to Soft
- Custom setting #2 and #4 on the micro dial
- 37" Nitto RG @ 31 PSI

The ride feels compliant and comfortable. After spending daily driving time on these shocks, and using my previous JK/Falcon 3.3 equipped Jeep as a basis, the SP2's feel like they arrest body motion quicker. This results in more confident steering and braking and over control. The JL is pretty unflappable over the varied kinds of asphalt we drive on here in Chicagoland. This control is also really nice at higher interstate speeds, 70-85mph very the steering inputs are one finger easy.

It's a different ride than my JK set-up for sure. I think the Falcon tuning enhances the better driving characteristics of the new JL. It feels a little more precise and controlled. I hope this helps any of those that might be looking at possibly running Falcon shocks. Stay tuned, more to come.

-Steven

Sponsored

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been out West for the past two weeks and it's time to update my build thread.

I'll call this Stage One-Lift. Here's what we've done so far:

- MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer Lift
- MetalCloak Tie Rod & HD Drag Link
- Falcon SP2 3.3 Shocks
- Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Steering Stabilizer
- Fox Race Series 2.0 Bump Stops
- TeraFlex Alpha HD ADJ. Spare Tire Mount
- 17" Fuel Covert Beadlocks -38mm/"3.630 B.S.
- Nitto 37 X 12.50 Ridge Grapplers "D" Rated
- Tazer Mini

ACCESSORIES

- Baja Designs LP4's
- Diode Dynamics Stage Series 3" LED Pods
- Diode Dynamics Clear LED Side Markers
- Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
- Warn Epic 1.0 Fairlead/Graphite
- Factor 55 E-Link
- Artec Industries Winch Plate
- M.O.R.E Dead Pedal
- M.O.R.E. Fire Extinguisher Mount
- Quadratec Flashlight Mount
- Mopar Stainless Sill Guards
- Mopar Custom Tailgate Table
- Mopar Bumper Mount Light Brackets
- 67 Designs Track Mount System
- Rhino-Rack Vortex SG-59 Rack
- AEV Diff. Covers
- SmittyBilt Beaver Tail
- Cobra 75 WX-ST
- Max-3 Stealth Plate Mount

Here's a few updated pics...

That moment when it's sitting on the ground for the first time and you're thinking...wow, I really like where this is going!

First flex and clearance check...I was grinning like a fool when I saw this!

After first flex, we moved the front axle ~3/8" forward and made a small adjustment to the steering stabilizer.

While in St. George, we did a night run on West Rim Trail with Dixie 4 Wheel Drive. Great to take the new build out on the trail and real world test it.

I'll be adding more detailed content to the YouTube channel soon. Stay tuned for that.

-Steven
Reading through the build thread again. Can’t say enough how well your building your Jeep! Looks really good. I have a question on the MC suspension and front shocks. I know they typically ship that front lower shock relocation mount pushing out the lower mounting point. From the pics it doesn’t look like they were used. Is that right? If not can I ask why? No issues with shock body hitting frame at full flex?
Thanks!

Reactions: TRG
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Reading through the build thread again. Can’t say enough how well your building your Jeep! Looks really good. I have a question on the MC suspension and front shocks. I know they typically ship that front lower shock relocation mount pushing out the lower mounting point. From the pics it doesn’t look like they were used. Is that right? If not can I ask why? No issues with shock body hitting frame at full flex?
Thanks!
Hi JJ, thanks for the compliment on the build, appreciate that!

You are correct, we did not install the lower shock relocation brackets. When we were installing the MC lift, we did have lower shock offset brackets as part of the lift.

If I'm recalling correctly, the MC lower shock bracket changes the orientation of the lower shock mount. The Falcon SP2's are designed to run at the stock lower mount orientation as the lower part of the shock rotates to adjust compression/dampening between Soft/Performance settings.

Also, the Falcons have a built offset to allow clearance between shock body and frame at full extension. Part of the 'dialing in' of the new lift involved full flex and checking all clearances. No issues of the shock hitting the frame at full flex.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0854

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0852 2

In the above pic, Travis is checking clearance between the new Nexus steering stabilizer and the new AEV diff cover. That involved cycling the steering while at full flex. Until the parts are actually on the Jeep, you're not really sure it will play nice together.

I was also able to get in two wheeling trips (St.George and Moab) right after the lift was installed, we saw no issues with clearances at all.

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Those pictures of your Jeep at full flex are just fully insane and I love it. :rock:
Hey Aaron! I couldn't stop grinning when I saw it go up on the fork lift.

Here's another pic just because we're Jeepers...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0860

We pulled out a tape measure to check it...we saw 36" floor to underside of the rear tire. Seeing the flex helped me imagine coming off obstacles on the trail. I've been super happy with the MC Game Changer.

-Steven

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Aaron! I couldn't stop grinning when I saw it go up on the fork lift.

Here's another pic just because we're Jeepers...
IMG_0860.jpg

We pulled out a tape measure to check it...we saw 36" floor to underside of the rear tire. Seeing the flex helped me imagine coming off obstacles on the trail. I've been super happy with the MC Game Changer.

-Steven
Looks great Steven ! Rig came out sweet. Are the falcon shocks 2” dia. ? Also do you know what the extended length is in yours ?

I think that the only time hitting the frame becomes a concern is when the shock is 2.5” dia. and up. The MC relo brackets also locates the shock up 1.5” as well as out. I didn’t want to lose that much up travel as I only have 5” as it is with the shocks I’m running. I opted for the EVO bracket.

I think the brackets best benefits the 6 pk shocks. Anyway, your rig looks dialed in none the less ........... great job.........:like:.

Sponsored

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi JJ, thanks for the compliment on the build, appreciate that!

You are correct, we did not install the lower shock relocation brackets. When we were installing the MC lift, we did have lower shock offset brackets as part of the lift.

If I'm recalling correctly, the MC lower shock bracket changes the orientation of the lower shock mount. The Falcon SP2's are designed to run at the stock lower mount orientation as the lower part of the shock rotates to adjust compression/dampening between Soft/Performance settings.

Also, the Falcons have a built offset to allow clearance between shock body and frame at full extension. Part of the 'dialing in' of the new lift involved full flex and checking all clearances. No issues of the shock hitting the frame at full flex.

In the above pic, Travis is checking clearance between the new Nexus steering stabilizer and the new AEV diff cover. That involved cycling the steering while at full flex. Until the parts are actually on the Jeep, you're not really sure it will play nice together.

I was also able to get in two wheeling trips (St.George and Moab) right after the lift was installed, we saw no issues with clearances at all.

-Steven
Oh yes. Those Falcons do have a slight offset and that’s right. I didn’t think about turning the bottom to adjust between their two modes. Your are right those MC brackets do require a 90 degree rotation at the lower mount. So glad to hear that the MC relocation mounts weren’t needed. Those again for your prompt response!

Justin

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Looks great Steven ! Rig came out sweet. Are the falcon shocks 2” dia. ? Also do you know what the extended length is in yours ?

I think that the only time hitting the frame becomes a concern is when the shock is 2.5” dia. and up. The MC relo brackets also locates the shock up 1.5” as well as out. I didn’t want to lose that much up travel as I only have 5” as it is with the shocks I’m running. I opted for the EVO bracket.

I think the brackets best benefits the 6 pk shocks. Anyway, your rig looks dialed in none the less ........... great job.........:like:.
Thanks Roky! Here's the specs on the SP2 3.3's I'm running the 2-4.5" length.

The shock dia. is 2.25".

(F) Extended: 28.40"
Compressed: 17.90"
Travel: 10.50"

(R) Extended: 30.00"
Compressed: 18.90"
Travel: 12.20"

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Oh yes. Those Falcons do have a slight offset and that’s right. I didn’t think about turning the bottom to adjust between their two modes. Your are right those MC brackets do require a 90 degree rotation at the lower mount. So glad to hear that the MC relocation mounts weren’t needed. Those again for your prompt response!

Justin
Hi Justin, glad to help!

The Falcons have offset at the top as well as at the bottom. The top is for frame clearance, the bottom eyelet is offset as well to aid axle clearance.

-Steven

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Roky! Here's the specs on the SP2 3.3's I'm running the 2-4.5" length.

The shock dia. is 2.25".

(F) Extended: 28.40"
Compressed: 17.90"
Travel: 10.50"

(R) Extended: 30.00"
Compressed: 18.90"
Travel: 12.20"

-Steven
...... interesting.... thanks brother, appreciate the info.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mod update. I recently installed a set of Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro pods on the A-pillar. These are the SAE Driving lens. Really impressed with them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_1729

If you want to take a deeper dive into them, I just finished a video review on Expedition Builds. You'll find it under 'Equipment Reviews'. Enjoy✌🏻

-Steven
Sponsored