Sponsored

Freedom Fur 2.0 (Night Vision) - 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was going maybe 10mph.

After pulling the axle off, I cant actually see any bend. Certainly less than the bowing that TrailRecon uncovers when Dynatrac put on his ProRock 44. Still a solid and usuable axle.

I think people underestimate the impact of running 37s though. Def bent the tie rod end.
Crazy. Just driving around Afghanistan were you? Lol.
I didn't see the TR video or even hear of it. I'll have to check it out.
How did you make out on getting rid of old axle? Recoup some costs?
Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Crazy. Just driving around Afghanistan were you? Lol.
I didn't see the TR video or even hear of it. I'll have to check it out.
How did you make out on getting rid of old axle? Recoup some costs?
Insurance and the shop inspected it in person when it was still under the Jeep and decided it was worth replacing the housing and internals. Instead of going with a factory housing, I went with a Dynatrac. It was a few thousand out of pocket to cover the difference.

Still waiting to sell/part out the housing and internals. Harder to sell than I thought. I keep telling people to come inspect it, but no go. Looks great, and the C’s are much bigger then the standard Rubicon.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Insurance and the shop inspected it in person when it was still under the Jeep and decided it was worth replacing the housing and internals. Instead of going with a factory housing, I went with a Dynatrac. It was a few thousand out of pocket to cover the difference.

Still waiting to sell/part out the housing and internals. Harder to sell than I thought. I keep telling people to come inspect it, but no go. Looks great, and the C’s are much bigger then the standard Rubicon.
Crazy. Good luck though dude.

sciotola88

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Ecodiesel and 2020 JTR
Occupation
Underwriter
any updates on this?

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Hit a pothole on a class VI road in NH and bent my axle. Completely mind blown that it flexed. It has turned into an insurance claim to fund a fully blown Dynatrak ProRock 44 with RCV shafts, their ballpoints, their high-clearance hub, etc.

Good news is the gears, axle shafts, and locker are totally fine in the old axle. It flexed right next to the C on the driver’s side and not significantly, just enough for me not to trust it going forward. I am going to try to sell the eLocker, gears, and axle shafts to offset the cost.

8166051C-C3B9-4B9F-8E05-A442C94D73C4.jpeg
Hi Elliot✌🏻 Have you considered adding some quality bumpstops? On my current JL build I'm running Fox Factory Racing 2.0 IFP bump stops to arrest that last bit of axle travel on large bumps/obstacles.

I've been surprised more than once with holes, washouts, etc that can cause full suspension compression and a bent axle. As you mentioned, hanging a heavy 37" tire/wheel combo can create a lot of force on the axle.

-Steven

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Hi Elliot✌🏻 Have you considered adding some quality bumpstops? On my current JL build I'm running Fox Factory Racing 2.0 IFP bump stops to arrest that last bit of axle travel on large bumps/obstacles.

I've been surprised more than once with holes, washouts, etc that can cause full suspension compression and a bent axle. As you mentioned, hanging a heavy 37" tire/wheel combo can create a lot of force on the axle.

-Steven
Hey man! I haven't yet but it's a potential on the bucket. For the most part the up travel issue has been fixed with the lift kit. I only run one bump stop puck in the front and rear. The metal cloak 3.5 game changer gave me four plus inches of lift.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Hey man! I haven't yet but it's a potential on the bucket. For the most part the up travel issue has been fixed with the lift kit. I only run one bump stop puck in the front and rear. The metal cloak 3.5 game changer gave me four plus inches of lift.
I'm running the same lift and love it. While a lift does give more travel, what happens at the end of the uo travel that causes the potential damage. That's where a good bumpstop comes in. You can still bottom out with the lift and the bump stops and factory jounce stops do not have the ability to absorb/slow down the axle up travel before it hits the frame, causing damage. I hope I'm making sense? Food for thought.

Looking forward to watching your build come together.

-Steven
Sponsored