Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I've been out West for the past two weeks and it's time to update my build thread.

I'll call this Stage One-Lift. Here's what we've done so far:

- MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer Lift
- MetalCloak Tie Rod & HD Drag Link
- Falcon SP2 3.3 Shocks
- Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Steering Stabilizer
- Fox Race Series 2.0 Bump Stops
- TeraFlex Alpha HD ADJ. Spare Tire Mount
- 17" Fuel Covert Beadlocks -38mm/"3.630 B.S.
- Nitto 37 X 12.50 Ridge Grapplers "D" Rated
- Tazer Mini

ACCESSORIES

- Baja Designs LP4's
- Diode Dynamics Stage Series 3" LED Pods
- Diode Dynamics Clear LED Side Markers
- Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
- Warn Epic 1.0 Fairlead/Graphite
- Factor 55 E-Link
- Artec Industries Winch Plate
- M.O.R.E Dead Pedal
- M.O.R.E. Fire Extinguisher Mount
- Quadratec Flashlight Mount
- Mopar Stainless Sill Guards
- Mopar Custom Tailgate Table
- Mopar Bumper Mount Light Brackets
- 67 Designs Track Mount System
- Rhino-Rack Vortex SG-59 Rack
- AEV Diff. Covers
- SmittyBilt Beaver Tail
- Cobra 75 WX-ST
- Max-3 Stealth Plate Mount

Here's a few updated pics...

That moment when it's sitting on the ground for the first time and you're thinking...wow, I really like where this is going!
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0835

First flex and clearance check...I was grinning like a fool when I saw this!
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon 6FF0EDE7-3B45-4417-BD6A-D1522BE44A22.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0854

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0860

After first flex, we moved the front axle ~3/8" forward and made a small adjustment to the steering stabilizer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0852 2

While in St. George, we did a night run on West Rim Trail with Dixie 4 Wheel Drive. Great to take the new build out on the trail and real world test it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 7.28.45 AM

I'll be adding more detailed content to the YouTube channel soon. Stay tuned for that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven
Sponsored

Last edited:

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,
I've been out West for the past two weeks and it's time to update my build thread.

I'll call this Stage One-Lift. Here's what we've done so far:

- MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer lift
- MetalCloak Tie Rod & HD Drag Link
- Falcon SP2 3.3 Shocks
- Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Steering Stabilizer
- Fox Race Series 2.0 Bump Stops
- TeraFlex Alpha HD ADJ. Spare Tire Mount
- 17" Fuel Covert Beadlocks -38mm/"3.630 B.S.
- Nitto 37X1250 Ridge Grapplers "D" Rated
- Tazer Mini

ACCESSORIES

- Baja Designs LP4's
- Diode Dynamics Stage Series 3" LED Pods
- Diode Dynamics Clear LRD Side Markers
- Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
- Warn Epic 1.0 Fairlead/Graphite
- Factor 55 E-Link
- Artec Industries Winch Plate
- M.O.R.E Dead Pedal
- M.O.R.E. Fire Extinguisher Mount
- Quadratec Flashlight Mount
- Mopar Stainless Sill Guards
- Mopar Custom Tailgate Table
- Mopar Bumper Mount Light Brackets
- 67 Designs Track Mount System
- Rhino-Rack Vortex SG-59 Rack
- AEV Diff. Covers
- SmittyBilt Beaver Tail
- Cobra 75 WX-ST
- Max-3 Stealth Plate Mount

Here's a few updated pics...

That moment when it's sitting on the ground for the first time and you're thinking...wow, I really like where this is going!
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon joined_video_7381e49aecc94ba1a49a25ac1b4ac733.MP

First flex and clearance check...I was grinning like a fool when I saw this!

After first flex, we moved the front axle ~3/8" forward and made a small adjustment to the steering stabilizer.

While in St. George, we did a night run on West Rim Trail with Dixie 4 Wheel Drive. Great to take the new build out on the trail and real world test it.

I'll be adding more detailed content to the YouTube channel soon. Stay tuned for that.

-Steven
I’m enjoying seeing the build and updates! Can you get a pic of lower front sometime? I’d like to see how you tied in Falcon steering stabilizer in with the MC tie rod/drag link and track bar! Thanks! Also what drove Moving the front axle forward ~3/8”?

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I’m enjoying seeing the build and updates! Can you get a pic of lower front sometime? I’d like to see how you tied in Falcon steering stabilizer in with the MC tie rod/drag link and track bar! Thanks! Also what drove Moving the front axle forward ~3/8”?
Hi JJ. Glad to hear you're enjoying the build thread.

Here's a short clip of the steering linkage and will show you how/where the steering stabilizer attaches. I'm not a fan of U-Bolts(neither was the Tech at Dixie), which was what came with the MetalCloak Tie Rod came with. He found a nice alloy clamp to use instead. We both thought it might be a Steer Smarts clamp?

Moving the axle forward the 1/4-3/8" was to gain clearance on the rock rails/sliders after we flexed it out.

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Here's a look at the height difference between my stock Rubicon lift/33" Tires (Falkens) versus the MetalCloak 3.5" lift/37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers we just installed.

This first measurement (stock) was taken drivers side at the rock slider. I'm sitting at roughly 20-1/8" at the top of the slider.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0641

This is the measurement taken two weeks after the lift install at the same point on the rock slider. I'd like to think the springs have settled in by now. I'm calling this 25-1/4"
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_1302

This is the measurement at the rear. 25-5/8"
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_1304

The net from the 3.5" MetalCloak lift and 37" Nittos over stock is 5-1/8" (front). Also, you can see from the measurements there is about 1/2" of rack on my Jeep. I'm considering adding an additional 1/2" spacer in the rear mostly for visual reasons. I think a little more rake would take away the nose high look which I think I'm getting from the higher Rubicon front fender line.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0899

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0977

Also, measurements at the highest point on the Jeep were ~77-1/2". Tires are inflated to 33lbs.

-Steven

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Here's an update on my new MetalCloak Steering Linkage as well as the new Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Steering Stabilizer I'm running.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0806D

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0868

Prior to lift install, I was undecided on what steering linkage I was going to run on my build. I had been looking at Steer Smarts, which I ran on my JK and really liked as well as RPM Steering.

When we began installing the lift at Dixie I spent a good amount of time talking it over with them and relying on their considerable expertise, having either personal experience with or installing and servicing nearly every available linkage on the market.

They had the MetalCloak Linkage in stock and after talking with them and seeing the parts in person, I was impressed enough to give it a try. Here's a look.

Tie Rod features:

- 1.625" O.D .375" Wall 4130 Chromoly
- 1-Ton Forged Heat Treated Off Set Dog Leg End Rods
- Rod End Design Controls Rod Flop
- OE Taper Pin and lock nut for Exact Fitment
- Sealed Grease Boots
- Adjustable While Installed
- Gold Zinc Chromate Finish

Drag Link Features:

- 1.375" OD .375 Wall DOM High Clearance Engineered
- Hi-Misalignment 1-Ton Rod Ends
- OE Taper Pin and Lock nut for Exact Fitment
- Design limits misalignment to control Drag Link Flop
- Sealed Grease Boots
- Zerk Fittings
- Clears Aftermarket Diff Covers
- Adj. on the vehicle

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 9.40.13 AM

So what's it like to drive??? My Recon was great right from the get go. These additions improved upon that. For a solid linkage, I suspect the stock linkage and track bar may have a little flex in it. The new M.C. linkage(s) give a more direct, more immediate steering response. With that, you will notice a little more feedback over larger bumps through the steering wheel, but it's not bad at all. You are just aware that any play in the steering linkage/end joints is gone.

It feels great to drive, especially at interstate speed where it tracks dead straight and is one finger easy. As for the Falcon Nexus Stabilizer, the adjustability is nice. I'll dial it soft for off road and then set it to it's firmest setting for the interstate. Also to note, the M.C. Drag Link feature a super fast steering adj.. When we were dialing in the steering wheel, both the Tech and myself were surprised to find how fast it is to adjust.

Super happy with the way this has turned out, with both increased strength for offroad as well as better steering feel. I should not the shop set my castor to 7 degrees. They prefer to give up a little 'return to center' for an increased high speed(interstate) stability which was my goal. Also of note, we ended up switching out the M.C. front sway bar links after we flexed the lift and replaced them with a shorter set from TeraFlex. I'm not sure why M.C. supplies such a long link? Perhaps that works better with their 6-Pack shocks? The length on my Jeep had the link hit the fender liner.

The new parts performed great off road. As I get more miles on them, I'll report back.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_1106

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 7.28.45 AM

-Steven

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Small update, tinted windows with 3M 25% film. Sure helps tie the look together...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0639

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_1157

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Beer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 f250 Lariat, 2019 Corvette Z06
Glad I saw this about the fuses. Most of mine were loose but everything was working ok. Another great tip from the forum, thanks.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glad I saw this about the fuses. Most of mine were loose but everything was working ok. Another great tip from the forum, thanks.
Glad to hear it helped you John :like:

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Continuing on with the communications install, next up will be getting my HAM radio installed. After exploring where/what might be good location(s) to locate the head unit of my radio, I settled on this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_1374

Using the 67 Designs Rail System I was able to put the radio front and center in my line of sight. I also like that I can easily remove the head unit when I'm not on the trail.

I'm waiting on the antenna mount to come in and then I can get this finished up. Stay tuned for more...

-Steven

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I was lucky enough to be asked to run the Rubicon Trail and shoot content for Dixie 4 Wheel Drive a few weeks back. Needless to say, the trail and experience was phenomenal.

Here's a teaser video we did for social media. Head over to Expedition Builds to see the full version. Happy trails!

You'll find the full version under 'Trail Videos'. I hope you consider subscribing, I'd love to have you be a part of this.

-Steven

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
An update of sorts. This is a quick overview on the Falcon SP2 3.3 fast adj. shocks I'm running on Rubi.

I ran a set of Falcon 3.3's on my previous JK build and absolutely loved them. So, I was down for running a set of the new Falcon SP2 's on my JL build.

First off, if you've ever seen the Falcons up close, you understand the build quality and beauty of the these shocks.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 8.13.21 PM

They have some cool design features as well. Things like 3 position adj settings, Soft/Medium/Firm including Custom(1-8) and the SP adjust at the bottom of the shock for 'Sport/Cold" or 'Performance'. I had asked the TeraFlex engineers the purpose of the SP feature. The answer was even more adjustability, specifically during higher temperature changes, i.e., summer/winter. The idea being that during colder temps, thicker oil, the shocks could be adjusted to ride better...sounds good.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0809D

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0866D

I selected an adjustable shock because I wanted the ability to tune the ride both on and off road. I know that things like spring rates, tire rating(mine are 'D'), tire pressure, vehicle weight all effect ride characteristics, so shock tunability was key for me.

While we were installing the shocks, I had the tech dial the SP setting to 'Soft' as the starting point. My thinking here is that the JL is relatively light, in fact that is the Ethos for this build. Add functionality but keep the build as light as possible. So how do they drive???

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Leaving the shop we had the tires at 36psi and I had the Falcons set right in the middle, setting #2 (Medium)and 4 on the micro dial. Wow, these things are stiff! Did I just make a huge error in my shock selection? Thinking on this further, I knew I needed to make some adjustments and see what I could do in the way of shock/ride tuning. I was also wondering if the initial stiffness was due to all the suspension being brand new. Brand new springs, new shocks, new tires. Let's do some tuning and see what we find.

My first adjustments were two fold. Lower the tire psi to 32lbs and set the Falcons to full soft. This really helped with the ride, but I did notice that at setting #1(full soft) I was getting body roll/movement. Also, I'm at full soft on the street, and this just removed all the tunability I was hoping to gain from having an adjustable shock. Let's wheel this thing and get some miles on Rubi and see if things feel more compliant.

AFTER 2 WEEK BREAK-IN

Well, after a wheeling trip in St. George, and a few more trail runs in Moab a week later that included rock crawling as well as higher speed sand dunes and whoops, I can tell you the Falcons are coming into their own. They did soften up a lot and feel way more compliant.

I'm now running them on setting #2-4 and really like the ride/handling characteristics for on-road daily driving. You can detect a change in ride with each turn of the adjustment knob. The higher you go towards firm, the quicker the shock arrests body movement and of course the firmer the ride. I ran them on full soft offroad and they really worked well, giving a very soft flexible ride.

I really like the control and handling the Falcons give me with my MetalCloak springs/lift. The Jeep feels very planted, with body motions being arrested quickly. In short, it's a confidence inspiring drive. I'll get more miles on the Falcons and record more impressions of them as the build unfolds. I know I'll be adding a few more pounds of accessories, and that will affect the ride.

Lastly, I'm really happy with the length of these shocks. These are the 2"-4.5" and with the M.C 3.5" Game Changer provide great flex/articulation.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0885

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0849D

Stay tuned, more to come.

-Steven

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I stumbled upon one of your posts in another thread, and have been in a rabbit hole on your youtube channel and reading this build thread for quite a while now, and just want to say I'm really impressed with the build so far. I've already added at least 5 products you showcased to my own build list, so thank you very much for that.

Down the road I also want to upgrade my wheels and have been thinking about going red, and I think seeing your build solidifies that decision - looks really good.

I'm also based in Chicago and would love to check out your build sometime in person, I'm sure the photos don't do it justice.

Finally...
Small update, tinted windows with 3M 25% film. Sure helps tie the look together...
Was curious if you could recommend the shop that you got this done at? I'm thinking about doing 35% around (since I street park has to be 100% legal).

Keep up the posts!

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hi Daniel, great hearing from you and really glad to hear the info/posts are helpful!

For tinting, I used Z-Tech in Naperville. They were recommended by my go to shop for (local)Jeep work, Maximum Automotive/Max It Out Offroad. Z-tech was quick and professional and they did a great job.

The red wheels are the 'blingiest' thing I've ever done on a build, but they work well with the overall scheme and I get lot's of compliments on them.

Let's get together at some point, I'd be nice to meet you and talk all things Jeep. Thanks for following us on YouTube, we have a lot of great content coming.

-Steven

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTwv

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2017 Porsche 911
Build Thread
Link
Here's a look at the height difference between my stock Rubicon lift/33" Tires (Falkens) versus the MetalCloak 3.5" lift/37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers we just installed.

This first measurement (stock) was taken drivers side at the rock slider. I'm sitting at roughly 20-1/8" at the top of the slider.

This is the measurement taken two weeks after the lift install at the same point on the rock slider. I'd like to think the springs have settled in by now. I'm calling this 25-1/4"

This is the measurement at the rear. 25-5/8"

The net from the 3.5" MetalCloak lift and 37" Nittos over stock is 5-1/8" (front). Also, you can see from the measurements there is about 1/2" of rack on my Jeep. I'm considering adding an additional 1/2" spacer in the rear mostly for visual reasons. I think a little more rake would take away the nose high look which I think I'm getting from the higher Rubicon front fender line.

Also, measurements at the highest point on the Jeep were ~77-1/2". Tires are inflated to 33lbs.

-Steven
My Jeep has a Metalcloak 3.5" lift and sits a little bit lower in the rear too, and I'm thinking about adding spacers to the rear too. Have you looked into that option any further?
Sponsored