Rubi Recon

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Hey John, thanks! I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

I found the tailgate table online at BAMwholesaleparts.com for $176. You do have to pay shipping however.

I hand routed the cutting board inlay...tricky to do...a solid guide for the router is your friend. Covering the table with the starboard sounds like it would work well and really simplify things.

No regret on getting the 2.0L e-Torque. It's such a blast to drive, and looking forward to adding more power via a tune down the road. I've never been much of a diesel fan.

Stay tuned, more to come!

-Steven
Bases on your review I installed the Mopar table today. You guide helped me. Easy job. I did happen to break one green clip. But it was close to a screw so I did not worry about it. Thanks so much for the help.
Sponsored

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I got the AEV diff covers installed. While I was under the Jeep, I refinished the axles.
IMG_0646.jpeg

We installed the front first. As we pulled the cover for inspection, the oil looked good(only 4400mi.) on it. I asked the tech to look for any metal particles...we saw a pretty good amount of something that looked like metal chips at the bottom against the metallic drain plug.

As we began removing what looked like metal chips/shavings and getting a closer look, it turns out it was rubber or some kind of sealant...time to exhale:facepalm:...it looked for a moment like there might be issues with the gears.

We theorized that it could have come into the diff as the axle shafts were inserted, but who knows. I'm glad the diffs are clean, running fresh oil and beefed up with the AEV covers.

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.21.45 PM.jpeg

IMG_0650.jpeg

I'm really impressed with the quality and design of these covers.

-Steven
That looks awesome! How did you refinish the axels and what was the process, products used? Pls and thanks.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
That looks awesome! How did you refinish the axels and what was the process, products used? Pls and thanks.
Nothing too fancy. Let me start by saying I hate whatever Jeep uses for black paint both on the axles and frame.

My process is pretty simple, wipe it down with lacquer thinner to remove any grease/oils. Then I'll touch sand any areas that may need it. Mask off the areas you don't want painted and I shoot it with Rustoleum, black semi-gloss. It looks better and keeps the rust at bay.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0650

I also painted the frame/spring towers in the wheel wells while I was at it. Don't forget to throw a moving blanket or some kind of cover over the fenders and hood...you don't want any overspray on the paint.

-Steven

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Nothing too fancy. Let me start by saying I hate whatever Jeep uses for black paint both on the axles and frame.

My process is pretty simple, wipe it down with lacquer thinner to remove any grease/oils. Then I'll touch sand any areas that may need it. Mask off the areas you don't want painted and I shoot it with Rustoleum, black semi-gloss. It looks better and keeps the rust at bay.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0650

I also painted the frame/spring towers in the wheel wells while I was at it. Don't forget to throw a moving blanket or some kind of cover over the fenders and hood...you don't want any overspray on the paint.

-Steven
Thanks so much. Yea, I already have some rust starting

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks so much. Yea, I already have some rust starting
My pleasure! Good luck keeping the rust at bay.

Another great product to use on the undercarriage is Fluid Film. Fluid Film is a lanolin based petroleum oil product. I've had really good results with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 7.10.04 AM

It's available in an aerosol or it can be applied professionally. The pro application is a much denser product and would offer even more protection.

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
This weekends project...

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0101

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0653D

-Steven

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My pleasure! Good luck keeping the rust at bay.

Another great product to use on the undercarriage is Fluid Film. Fluid Film is a lanolin based petroleum oil product. I've had really good results with it.
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 7.10.04 AM.png

It's available in an aerosol or it can be applied professionally. The pro application is a much denser product and would offer even more protection.

-Steven
Great product - I am familiar with it. Do you know how it started? The military developed it to coat submarine ballast tanks to prevent corrosion. Great idea.

Wonder if it will stop what light rust is there? Thanks Steven!

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Great product - I am familiar with it. Do you know how it started? The military developed it to coat submarine ballast tanks to prevent corrosion. Great idea.

Wonder if it will stop what light rust is there? Thanks Steven!
Yes, I had a Jeeper friend turn me on to it and that lead to some research. It is a great product with a cool history!

My Dad served in the Army in Belgium driving a Half-Track during WW2. He used to tell me stories of the Army packing whole Jeeps, armor, weapons, tools in a light coat of grease (I think they were using Cosmoline)for shipping...it worked perfectly...aside from needing a lot of solvent and rags for re-assembly;)

Fluid Film will 'freeze' any current rust and prevent any new oxidation/rust from occurring making it a great choice. Just remember the aerosol is pretty light and can be power washed off.

:like:

-Steven

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Alright, Warn Zeon 10S installed. Really happy with the design/strength of the Artec winch plate. The assembly was pretty straight forward.

I'll post a video soon of this install on the channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0711

While I had the bumper off, I removed the factory skid plate and shot that in a 'steel grey' color. The new Gladiator Mojave was the inspiration for this. More to come, stay tuned.

-Steven

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Alright, Warn Zeon 10S installed. Really happy with the design/strength of the Artec winch plate. The assembly was pretty straight forward.

I'll post a video soon of this install on the channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

IMG_0711.jpeg

While I had the bumper off, I removed the factory skid plate and shot that in a 'steel grey' color. The new Gladiator Mojave was the inspiration for this. More to come, stay tuned.

-Steven
Wow looks incredible!!! Great job, cannot wait for the video!

Steven, you may want to PM me, but is there a part list for everything you need for the winch, you know the fair lead, winch, mount, that cool stainless steel plate etc. Looks incredible. Love the skid plate. What paint and color code did you use?

Ok thanks so much. Another question - do you take all of this stuff off the Jeep when you sell it?

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Wow looks incredible!!! Great job, cannot wait for the video!

Steven, you may want to PM me, but is there a part list for everything you need for the winch, you know the fair lead, winch, mount, that cool stainless steel plate etc. Looks incredible. Love the skid plate. What paint and color code did you use?

Ok thanks so much. Another question - do you take all of this stuff off the Jeep when you sell it?
Here's what you need and a few options.

- Warn 10-S Winch Kit (see post#127) With this you get the standard Warn FairLead and Winch Hook
- Winch Mount Plate. I used Artec Industries. I liked the Artec design/construction. With the Artec, they include the aluminum front cover plate. Others include Warn, JCR

You can personalize your install with different fairleads, I'm using Warn's Epic as well as different winch hooks. I have a red Factor55 Prolink on in the pic, I'll be switching that out with a Factor55 Red FlatLink soon.

For the skid, I used Krylon Metallic 'Steel Grey'

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Another small addition as we get closer to getting the lift under Rubi.

I ran the Smittybilt Beaver Step on my JK. It makes a great tow point, a step to access the roof and a perfect glide point coming off of large obstacles, which saved my stock steel bumper many times.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0604D

The step is made of hammer forged carbon steel and is rated as a 10,000lb tow point.

-Steven
Sponsored