Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Are you guys hitting your LCAs often? Personally, frequency and severity of hitting something I don't want hit feed into my decision for weld-on skids more so than bolt on. Always good to remember that skids are actually a consumable item and must be replaced as they get beat up, and that's obviously tougher with weld-on skids. So, if it's not something you're smashing often or overly hard, meh. Wire wheel and rattle can to keep it from rusting after you do hit it on the rare occasion and call it good.

However, if you're constantly smashing them, and there are no good bolt-on options (assuming axle-side LCA bracket here, and there really aren't great bolt-on options IMO), then weld-on is a good choice.
You bring up a great point, the front LCA bracket is not a place I usually make contact on. This past wheeling trip to Moab while running the back side of Top of the World (which was really chucked out) I made contact on the rear part of the front LCA and near the bracket/frame coming off a big ledge. I feel like mostly we steer our way up/around contact with the front axle. The only other point of contact for me on the bigger trails is the front diff., so I could see a skid/glide plate there.

Really, I think most of our likely places to scrap are from the T-case and rearwards. So, the rear LCA skids I think are of real value on the trail. I did not mention the rockers, but I feel like that the need for protection there goes without saying.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
You bring up a great point, the front LCA bracket is not a place I usually make contact on. This past wheeling trip to Moab while running the back side of Top of the World (which was really chucked out) I made contact on the rear part of the front LCA and near the bracket/frame coming off a big ledge. I feel like mostly we steer our way up/around contact with the front axle. The only other point of contact for me on the bigger trails is the front diff., so I could see a skid/glide plate there.

Really, I think most of our likely places to scrap are from the T-case and rearwards. So, the rear LCA skids I think are of real value on the trail. I did not mention the rockers, but I feel like that the need for protection there goes without saying.

-Steven
That's been my experience as well - frame side front LCA brackets get hit sometimes, rear LCA brackets more often, both frame-side and axle-side. For the axle-side front LCA brackets, you usually use tire placement to avoid hitting anything (since most often people are cognizant of front diff location, or at least one should be) and so the work to avoid the diff and place the tires typically ends up meaning you don't hit front axle-side brackets.

The front frame-side LCA brackets do raise a good point though - there's no real skid for them, either weld-on or bolt-on, that I know of anyway.

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
That's been my experience as well - frame side front LCA brackets get hit sometimes, rear LCA brackets more often, both frame-side and axle-side. For the axle-side front LCA brackets, you usually use tire placement to avoid hitting anything (since most often people are cognizant of front diff location, or at least one should be) and so the work to avoid the diff and place the tires typically ends up meaning you don't hit front axle-side brackets.

The front frame-side LCA brackets do raise a good point though - there's no real skid for them, either weld-on or bolt-on, that I know of anyway.
Yeah, agree. No product for that as it's not really a factor when off-roading.

I have the Artec rear LCA skids shipping to me. I think I'll do those call it done for the LCA protection.

My next order of business would possibly be Diff. skids. I'm running the AEV diff covers which I really like. So far though, I don't mind getting under the Jeep and hitting that with that area with some paint as needed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_5621
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0885

-Steven

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Yeah, agree. No product for that as it's not really a factor when off-roading.

I have the Artec rear LCA skids shipping to me. I think I'll do those call it done for the LCA protection.

My next order of business would possibly be Diff. skids. I'm running the AEV diff covers which I really like. So far though, I don't mind getting under the Jeep and hitting that with that area with some paint as needed.

-Steven
I do like the Rusy's frame-side LCA skids as well, and they're plenty beefy. Nice for when you have to slide on something in a way that would catch the thin stock bracket back there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_20220814_141513039_HDR

They do ship unpainted, so my less than perfect rattle can paint job is on me and not them. Simple part, inexpensive, bolt on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do like the Rusy's frame-side LCA skids as well, and they're plenty beefy. Nice for when you have to slide on something in a way that would catch the thin stock bracket back there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_20220814_141513039_HDR

They do ship unpainted, so my less than perfect rattle can paint job is on me and not them. Simple part, inexpensive, bolt on.
More great info, thanks brother, I'll check those out.

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MetalCloak FAD Skid

Jeep engineers thought it a good idea to put a skid over the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD). However, like a lot of parts on our Jeeps it's a compromise of protection vs. weight added. I wanted to upgrade this factory skid with MetalCloak's FAD skid. Like everything MC makes, they don't hold back. Here's a side by side of the two pieces...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6498

I had some time this weekend to get the new MC FAD Skid installed. Because I was running the Nexus EF Steering Stabilizer with the OEM mount I needed remove the OEM mount and convert it to a 1-5/8" clamp.

Here's my previous set-up...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_0806

I used this kit from TeraFlex...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6485

This is the mounting clamp I'm removing...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6488

And the new 1-5/8" Billet clamp installed with new O-ring...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6493

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6495

Here's the MC SS kit that's going on the axle...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6486

and the installation which requires drilling a 3/8" hole to be drilled for an additional bolt...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6499

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6501

Time to get it all installed...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6506

So much more protection now...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6510

TeraFlex did a cool thing with the design on their clamp...two additional set screws on the bottom of the clamp to insure it doesn't slip...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6515

-Steven

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Customer Satisfaction

I need to give a shout out the crew at Baja Designs and specifically Brock @Baja Designs.

I had some condensation building up in one of my LP4's. After reaching out to Brock, the warranty was handled swiftly with a new LP4 being sent out to me to remedy the situation.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6507

We as a group tend to run a lot of aftermarket products on our Jeeps and it means a lot when a manufacturer stands 100% behind their product(s). When I receive service like this, it's easy for me to wholeheartedly support that manufacturer.

The LP4's are one of the best lighting designs I have run on my Jeep. I'll get a video together on the LP4's soon. Stay tuned.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_6427

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_5212.JPG

-Steven

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads