Sponsored

Roam sidestep Rust

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
How would line-x coat better? Not disagreeing, just curious. I would think the charge of powder coating would help get in tight places better than a product that is just sprayed.
Mine are rusting as well...there are alot of interior nooks and crannies in the roam steps where mud/water is tough to get out. I tried to use spray on bedliner pn mine and its peeling. Do not use spray on bedliner. I'm looking at having them stripped, applying rust neutralizer and then having them rhinocoated Cost is $100 to strip and $100 to Rhinocoat

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
Thinking about getting the ROAM side steps. Their website has 2 sets for the 4 door. Side Steps and also the Rock Rails with steps integrated for about $100 more. No picture for the rails. Anyone have the rock rails vs just the side steps?
I think only a few got their rails, the rest are all side steps. I called them this morning, the frame mounted ones will be available next week.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. I went with another option after all I read on here

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I think only a few got their rails, the rest are all side steps. I called them this morning, the frame mounted ones will be available next week.
I have the frame mounted ones on order. I can't wait to get them. Living in the desert, I am not too concerned with Rust. And so far I have had great response from Roam so I will give the the benefit of the doubt to make it right should it happen.

Sponsored

SteveNYR

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I purchased the ROAM side steps and I Raptor linered them before I put them on since I had heard about the rust issues. Also will be siliconing the lights since I hear they tend to take on water

Therealjakedatz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black 2" MOPAR Lift, 18X9.5 Vision Raptor wheels wrapped in 37X13.5R18 Toyo Open Country RT's, ROAM Side Steps
I seem to remember there being a one year warranty when I purchased these from ROAM last spring/summer. I believe it covered everything except the lights. Does anyone else know if that’s the case? Mine are also started rusting on all the welds after about 4 months.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Well, mostly sorry to see others are having the same issue, but a little glad that I’m not the only one. I emailed them with the following pictures and received no reply.

F995E515-3B80-409B-B53B-B602DD47287A.jpeg

7CC16DA1-90AD-4E52-BC6C-BA72B3D57F70.jpeg

FD9F9E4D-2589-486C-B1B8-36C137B60747.jpeg

2435EF28-C94F-4FE1-B4DB-3BB9482C8E0A.jpeg

23969D82-F0EF-42EE-A7CB-982B8FA826E9.jpeg

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
Well, mostly sorry to see others are having the same issue, but a little glad that I’m not the only one. I emailed them with the following pictures and received no reply.
Mine has rust spots very similar to yours. It's even worse inside if I see through the holes. Could you please let me know if you get a reply? Thanks!

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Hi Everyone!

Sorry about the delay in responding but we'll be back to normal after we're back from EJS 2019.

I'd be happy to make sure that everyone whom has a set of either the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps or the ROAM JL Rock Rails are receiving the best possible care on a per case basis.

The powdercoating we use is a specialty zinc infused formula that is meant to be a consumable item, and is meant to be reapplied when depleted over time.

Both our JL Rock Rails and our JL Side Armor Steps are constructed from mixed 1/8″ and 5/32″ high strength steel, and are passivated before they're powdercoated.

Please note that our JL Side Armor Steps and our JL Rock Rails are actually two different product lines, and while the ROAM JL Rock Rails are e-coated and then powdercoated, the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps are passivated before they're powdercoated. The two product lines are not interchangeable and carry a significant cost difference between them.

We do have an upgrade program for everyone whom has purchased our JL Side Armor Steps and want to upgrade to our JL Rock Rails. There is a cost difference between the two product lines.

If you are currently experiencing some sort of surface rust, please note some care and/or maintenance is required on the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (especially around the concave angles and internal surfaces). Please apply a mild surface protectant/neutralizer such as Fluid Film or Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector to the surfaces in question and the surface rust should dissipate. Periodic maintenance is required especially if you live in the rust belt or somewhere where the roads are salted extensively.

But if you are experiencing perforating rust where the metal structure has rusted through or significant pitting is experienced within the warranty period, we do have three resolution paths presently:

01. If you live in the salt belt or a similar area, I would recommend you go through our upgrade program to convert your ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (passivated then powdercoated) to a set of ROAM JL Rock Rails (passivated, e-coated, and then powdercoated). The upgrade cost going from the Steps to the Rails is around ~$200 + shipping (difference in cost between the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps vs the ROAM JL Rock Rails). The e-coat process is a significant improvement in rustproofing vs the powdercoating. The e-coat is actually applied via submerging the entire structure in a liquid bath, charging the metal to attract the activated liquid evenly and uniformly to desired thickness, rotated to purge all air bubbles, and then cured via heat. The e-coat is about three times as thick as the powdercoating and is chemically neutral and more environmentally friendly. The ROAM JL Rock Rails are e-coated while the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps are powdercoated.

02. If you're within the warranty period and you're experiencing consistent rusting even after following the recommended maintenance and/or the frequent application of a rust neutralizer/inhibitor, such as Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector or Fluid Film, and/or you are experiencing perforating rust or pitting, I would recommend finding a local powdercoating service or Line-X service to recoat your ROAM JL Side Armor Steps. A local powdercoating service will have options and/or features such as their own formulation, a better coating, and/or custom color options that we don't offer and will be familiar with your local environment such as if the salt used to salt the roads will have any sort of exotic and/or corrosive compound and will already have a solution ready to go. For the best results, Line-X or similar will provide much better non-sacrificial protection vs powdercoating. If chrome plating or similar please strip and passivate the metal first.

If you're within the warranty period, we'd be happy to provide a discount or credit towards applying your own powdercoating. If you'd like to go with a different powdercoating process or Line-X, we can apply a refund of the cost of the powdercoating from the original purchase. This is based on purchase cost. So if you were one of the very first early adopters of our JL Side Armor Steps (MK1), this is equivalent to around $40-50. For anyone that purchased our JL Side Armor Steps (MK1) @ full retail, this cost is equivalent to $80-100.

03. If you're within the warranty period and are experiencing perforating rust (rusted through, we haven't yet come across a single case yet, but just in case) or any other structural issues, we'd be happy to send out a replacement set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (shipping not included). I would recommend waiting until the near expiration of the warranty period because the powdercoating is a consumable item and is meant to be reapplied when depleted. Our warranty covers perforating rust damage, so while it can be applied towards surface rust, its not meant to cover the appearance of surface rust (which should be addressed via maintenance). Please note that the powdercoating is a consumable item and is meant to be reapplied when depleted. This is not as cost effective as finding a local powdercoater because of the relatively high cost of cross shipping.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and when sending a customer service request email please include your order number or at least your name and time of purchase or any other kind of info so that we can at least find the order. I apologize for the delay in responding but things should be back to normal after EJS 2019,

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM

Sponsored

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Took mine to a local Line-X shop. No more maintenance...

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Took mine to a local Line-X shop. No more maintenance...
Really wished they offered this instead of the powdercoating. No more headaches for them or the customers. For the life of me I don't understand why companies dont use linex instead of powdercoating for offroad parts.

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Really wished they offered this instead of the powdercoating. No more headaches for them or the customers. For the life of me I don't understand why companies dont use linex instead of powdercoating for offroad parts.
I plan to Line X my front bumper as well. Its already starting to show wear from winter chemicals. If parts came with the Line-X, I would be happy, and companies could save a ton on returns and such...but its not cheap...

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Line X isn't any more expensive that powdercoat. When you are dealing with fancy coatings, like Roam says they do, they cost even more. Line X in bulk is roughly the same price as powdercoating, and linex for consumers is the same or even cheaper than powdercoating. LineX would probably run around 150-200 for a set of sliders, provided the units don't need to be blasted (which is why I suggest people get them coated as soon as they get them, before rust forms.....this is what my linex guy told me when I had my rear bumper done)...powdercoating wouldn't be ANY cheaper. On top of that, LINEx has a far faster turnaround time, we're talking minutes, not a day+. From what I see with my local linex shop, it is easily price comparable to powdercoating, maybe even cheaper.

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Not very impressive for a new company trying to make a name in the industry.
I’ll keep my story to myself I guess.... not steps but another product of there’s not happy. I want buy anything else though.
Sponsored