Roam sidestep Rust

TexasNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
The delays could be for them to fix the "rusting" issue and to get their build process inplace. I think they were a smaller shop that has gotten overwhelmed and is doing what they need to deliver good quality products.
Probably true, but a little communication would go a long ways. It's hard to be a partner in developing a product when you pay up front and have to initiate all communication.
Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
The delays could be for them to fix the "rusting" issue and to get their build process inplace. I think they were a smaller shop that has gotten overwhelmed and is doing what they need to deliver good quality products.
If this is the actual situation, I would not mind the long wait. Updates on the process would be well received, as next week will be some 4 months for myself.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Doubtful. I've read many posts about the original (non-frame mounted) ROAM steps rusting dating back at least a few months and I never once saw mention of ROAM correcting or addressing it. Between that and many arriving damaged and still no response from ROAM (in the same thread that ROAM had replied previously), I went with another brand. It's a shame because appearance-wise ROAM is at the the top of my list along with LOD which I can't afford.

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
Rockadile, you could be correct. I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt until I know better. I am needing steps for wife and daughter but I can't hold out much longer. Wife had no issues with the TJ (which is higher) but has issues with the jlu, go figure. I really like Roams frame mounted steps the best for looks and protection. Oh well, time will tell.

Yeah LOD are way to much for me.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Not sure how many of you guys were on forums in the JK prime years, but man, you would have lost your minds with some companies (like Shrockworks) that took 8-12 months to ship stuff out lol. Roam seems to be a small shop that made some great designs and blew up...and everyone wants stuff, but they can't keep up. They also use third party vendors (ie powdercoating) which can delay the process, and as a member that complained about rust mentioned above, it may be a QC issue that's delaying them. I've mentioned before, powdercoating is a poor product for Jeep parts, and they should be linexed instead, because they ALL have issues. All my made in the USA parts from top tier companies had terrible powdercoat (oddly enough, my chinese parts all had incredibly strong and durable coatings, ie my rampage front bumper and smittybilt side SRC steps....and better than my VERY expensive USA jeep parts, german parts for sports cars, japanese parts, etc) so blaming rust on the company just isn't fair, because they just cant control that. It is for this reason many companies just flat out refuse to powdercoat products and just ship bare steel. The headache is just too much. I will say however, based on the many posts about ROAM, is that the owner should simply be more engaging on the forums and just tell people what's going on. When you do that, people climb off the ledge and don't mind waiting for quality parts. Just hop on the thread and say "hey guys, powdercoater screwed up, we are looking for an alternate vendor, or we have to sandblast everything and start over, etc so the shipping date will be pushed back 2 months." I don't know ANY jeep owners that wont wait for a part they really want, provided they know exactly what's going on.

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I'll be taking another road trip, next week. Will be back after the next promised shipping date. If they have not shipped by then, I'll contact Anthony and cancel my order and place an order for the LoD sliders.

Simply based on the current rust issues alone, I should pass on my ROAM order.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I placed my order this week and was also told Mar 15. They must have a big pile of them waiting on the powder coater.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be taking another road trip, next week. Will be back after the next promised shipping date. If they have not shipped by then, I'll contact Anthony and cancel my order and place an order for the LoD sliders.

Simply based on the current rust issues alone, I should pass on my ROAM order.
You guys are going to be SUPREMELY disappointed with rust if you have powdercoated sliders, especially if the slider has a lot of cutouts and ridges where the powdercoating is weak.

I advise you guys to email him and see if you can get bare steel faster (if they are indeed waiting on coating) or bare steel with a discount (since Roam doesn't have to pay to get them coated) and just have them line-exed. Guarantee you won't have any rust issues with them. They are steel sliders, they WILL rust....all steel sliders WILL rust.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
How would line-x coat better? Not disagreeing, just curious. I would think the charge of powder coating would help get in tight places better than a product that is just sprayed.

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
That’s my problem, I can’t even get an email response. I understand delays from small shops, but zero communication for a product I have already paid for is unacceptable. If they have gotten that busy, then hire a high school student to come in after school and respond to emails, especially from paying customers. I will hold out for 1 more week, but if I don’t at least get a shipping update, then I will try to cancel, but don’t know if Anthony will respond to that either.

Sponsored

Mojito St Pete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JLUR - Previously 2014 BMW 335i, 2011 Exo X, 2007 WRX
For what its worth, I sent an email about side step stock on Feb 26th and got an email response Feb 27th.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
The many posts about a lack of response coupled with what seemed to be no follow up posts from either the vendor or forum user with complaints was/were the primary reason for me going with a different vendor's product.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How would line-x coat better? Not disagreeing, just curious. I would think the charge of powder coating would help get in tight places better than a product that is just sprayed.
Without getting into too much technical detail, Line-X is a far more durable product than powdercoat. Also, powdercoating isn't just sprayed on. It's electrostatically charged to cling to the metal, and then melted via baking to form a seamless coating..but the issue is, on things like ridges (like the tops of the circular cutouts of the roam sliders for instance) it is very weak and easy to damage.

SCWrangler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thinking about getting the ROAM side steps. Their website has 2 sets for the 4 door. Side Steps and also the Rock Rails with steps integrated for about $100 more. No picture for the rails. Anyone have the rock rails vs just the side steps?
Sponsored