Sponsored

Rigid Ignite Backup Lights

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Added a set of Rigid Ignite Backup lights to help with rear lighting in reverse and be able to switch them on from aux switches. Also added a set of studs to replace the two that Jeep forgot to add...

First, cut a couple of pieces of bar stock to use as light mounts. Primed and painted them black.
20190304_014202776_iOS.jpg

Drilled holes for the missing studs and then for the light mounts. Epoxied in the extra studs.
20190330_190849129_iOS.jpg
20190330_200922284_iOS.jpg

Took some time to feed the Rigid wires through the existing sleeve/tailgate hole. That required trimming the rubber plug that goes through the tailgate and some lube...
20190513_181916124_iOS.jpg

20190513_182113671_iOS.jpg

Wired the lights into an Aux switch, the reverse lights and a switch panel on the Outback Tailgater as described here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/outback-tailgater-w-switch-plate.29587/#post-689955

Re-mounted the spare, added the missing lug nuts, and attached 3rd brake light and bike rack.
20190513_182736296_iOS.jpg

20190330_225051477_iOS.jpg

20190519_225934925_iOS.jpg

D37F8023-48A4-45F3-98D0-938320159E1B.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
nice job! do you have any pictures of the light throw at night?

OP
OP

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
nice job! do you have any pictures of the light throw at night?
Added an exterior shot with the Rigid lights on. Photos of the backup cam view didn’t come out great because of focus issues, but add those too.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
This is great on the road for those pesky tailgaters!

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
@mortimer Great write up! Couple quick questions as I am going to try this as well shortly. Thanks in advance for the help!

What type of hardware did you use to mount the little light brackets you made to the spare tire holder? I have most of what i need to do this, but I dont want to take all that off and realize I am missing something and not be able to drive to get it. Did you use a bolt and nut? Could you access underneath that spare tire holder to tight up a nut? Or did you use some sort of unique screw like a metal tapping screw or something designed to dig into spare holder and hold that bracket on itself? Thanks for the help in advance, this is cool!

Separately, if you wired this directly to the aux switches... why did you feel the need to wire it up to the reverse lights as well? Is a "safety" measure so that you cannot turn on these lights without being in reverse, in fear that you will accendentlly flip these on driving down the highway and blind someone thus making sure these only will come on if both reverse is engaged and the aux switch is flipped on? Curious why you did that.

Thanks!

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
@mortimer Great write up! Couple quick questions as I am going to try this as well shortly. Thanks in advance for the help!

What type of hardware did you use to mount the little light brackets you made to the spare tire holder? I have most of what i need to do this, but I dont want to take all that off and realize I am missing something and not be able to drive to get it. Did you use a bolt and nut? Could you access underneath that spare tire holder to tight up a nut? Or did you use some sort of unique screw like a metal tapping screw or something designed to dig into spare holder and hold that bracket on itself? Thanks for the help in advance, this is cool!

Separately, if you wired this directly to the aux switches... why did you feel the need to wire it up to the reverse lights as well? Is a "safety" measure so that you cannot turn on these lights without being in reverse, in fear that you will accendentlly flip these on driving down the highway and blind someone thus making sure these only will come on if both reverse is engaged and the aux switch is flipped on? Curious why you did that.

Thanks!
So I took this on finally and answered my own question.. easy nut and bolt to mount it. I also was able to squeeze in some Baja Designs squadron pros in there 😜🤓