First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
UPDATE: It's definitely knock. I started being picky about where I buy gas and am running 89 octane and it has completely disappeared. I'm also getting better gas mileage with 89 octane which almost makes up for the cost. Hell, gas is so cheap right now it's completely worth it.
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: It's definitely knock. I started being picky about where I buy gas and am running 89 octane and it has completely disappeared. I'm also getting better gas mileage with 89 octane which almost makes up for the cost. Hell, gas is so cheap right now it's completely worth it.
Do you mind sharing where you have been buying gas so that others can try the same?

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Do you mind sharing where you have been buying gas so that others can try the same?
Well, as I'm sure a lot of you are aware, all gas pretty much comes from the same suppliers now days. The difference is the quality of the holding tanks and the detergent blend, so it varies some depending on where you are. However, the best detergent blends are used by Shell, Chevron and BP in my experience. A second tier would be Exon/Mobil. Any others are more generic. Again, I think it is more directly related to the octane, but since it seems picky about gas in general I'm going to be running Shell, Chevron and BP whenever possible.

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
I'm thinking the same thing as well. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that ambient temperatures might also have to do with the pinging/knocking, as well as the type of gas put used. Someone in the forums used the "Italian treatment" -- using up what was left in the tank and putting in Shell V-Power premium gas and it seemed to help.Not sure if it's something in the gas that helped make the knocking go away.

Back to the temperature thing, it's been very cold here in MI and I haven't really heard much knocking after trying the Shell gas, and this is with non Shell V-Power gas, just 87 or 89 octane. Maybe a combination of both?

MrWhite2211

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Rubicon 2 door
I’m having the same issue, when I’ve switched to a higher octane gas, the noise was weaker, but since I’ve switched again to 87 the noise is very loud. I already asked at my dealership a month ago, and the told me to change the gas to a higher octane, or if it wasn’t that, it was the resonance of the exhaust, but that’s just bullshit, the Jeep manual says that the 3.6 needs 87 gas, but my car still sounds like a freaking old car, does somebody has repaired the issue?

Sponsored

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I’m having the same issue, when I’ve switched to a higher octane gas, the noise was weaker, but since I’ve switched again to 87 the noise is very loud. I already asked at my dealership a month ago, and the told me to change the gas to a higher octane, or if it wasn’t that, it was the resonance of the exhaust, but that’s just bullshit, the Jeep manual says that the 3.6 needs 87 gas, but my car still sounds like a freaking old car, does somebody has repaired the issue?
Haven’t seen anyone with a fix or even attempted repair, or cause of failure either other than saying use higher octane it’s just pinging. Soon we’ll all just be told it’s a Jeep thing until the rings break or rods flatten from erratic detonation. Mines still in the shop, almost 2 weeks now waiting for parts. Won’t be able to attemp diagnose until other repairs are made. Imo at least need to pinpoint noise location with chassis ears, and go from there. I’m sure I’ll just be told to use higher octane, we’ll see! Good luck, I really hope someone gets some solid answers and successful fixes, it just sounds horrible!

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Haven’t seen anyone with a fix or even attempted repair, or cause of failure either other than saying use higher octane it’s just pinging. Soon we’ll all just be told it’s a Jeep thing until the rings break or rods flatten from erratic detonation. Mines still in the shop, almost 2 weeks now waiting for parts. Won’t be able to attemp diagnose until other repairs are made. Imo at least need to pinpoint noise location with chassis ears, and go from there. I’m sure I’ll just be told to use higher octane, we’ll see! Good luck, I really hope someone gets some solid answers and successful fixes, it just sounds horrible!
Mine is doing it again some even with higher octane so I'm not sure what to do now. It's definitely less with good gas but not eliminated.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The Video is with the windows up. You can hear it with them up or down. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint, sometimes it seems to be coming from the engine, someones underneath and a little further back. It definitely doesn't sound normal! Please let me know if you find anything out and I will do the same.
I listened to the video and that doesn’t sound like engine knocking at all.
I would bet is not the engine but something related to the torque converter or transmission.
Any of the ones having this noise are manual transmission?
That would help start narrowing down. (I have a manual with 0 issues, I’m here for support only lol).
If both manual and auto have the same issue then I would say exhaust related.

atl02wrx

First Name
None
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My JLUR had a rattle sound. Turned out since new it was missing the rubber access hole plugs in the bottom of the transmission bell housing, leaving two open holes about an inch each, broadcasting the noise. Got the plugs and all good now.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
My JLUR had a rattle sound. Turned out since new it was missing the rubber access hole plugs in the bottom of the transmission bell housing, leaving two open holes about an inch each, broadcasting the noise. Got the plugs and all good now.
Where would I look for this? Can you provide a picture maybe?

Sponsored

D Arnett

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2.0t wrangler
So today the dealer called and they told me that the clanking when rpm is low and slowing down is normal for the manual trans. It's not bad .So guess I'm gonna roll with it for awhile. Unless it gets worse then they gonna do something about it. Test drove another at the dealership and it did the same thing it had 45miles on it . So that's my update lol

atl02wrx

First Name
None
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Where would I look for this? Can you provide a picture maybe?
I'm away from home for the moment so I can't snap one. The only picture I have is of tape I put over the holes which I then noticed took care of the sound I was hearing. Attached is another forum member who's battling another issue, but the rubber plugs shown are the access plugs that were missing on mine.

C792E847-6C4A-4675-A133-F61411899EA5.jpeg

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
I'm away from home for the moment so I can't snap one. The only picture I have is of tape I put over the holes which I then noticed took care of the sound I was hearing. Attached is another forum member who's battling another issue, but the rubber plugs shown are the access plugs that were missing on mine.

C792E847-6C4A-4675-A133-F61411899EA5.jpeg
I have the plugs. I guess we're all just going with "It's normal" at this point?

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Our 2018 Jlu has the rattling sound as well. Its coming from the bell housing and we can hear it loud and clear driving through our neighborhood and in between cars and medians. It rattles the most in higher gears at lower rpms. We run with the doors off and can be sure it's the bell housing. Also we have had the start/stop malfunction light come on and off several times also. We have brought it in several times to the dealer and had customer care with absolutely no help what so ever.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Our 2018 Jlu has the rattling sound as well. Its coming from the bell housing and we can hear it loud and clear driving through our neighborhood and in between cars and medians. It rattles the most in higher gears at lower rpms. We run with the doors off and can be sure it's the bell housing. Also we have had the start/stop malfunction light come on and off several times also. We have brought it in several times to the dealer and had customer care with absolutely no help what so ever.
I'm pretty sure it's actually some sort of knocking or pinging. You're right, it does sound like its coming from the bell housing, but mid-grade gas seems to help (not completely eliminate) the issue, which leads me to believe its some sort of combustion issue. It also seems to be worse in humid and we weather at least for me.
Sponsored