Sponsored

Rattling upon acceleration

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
So, I took a video and if you have the volume up and/or wear headphones you can clearly hear the rattle/knocking or whatever it is. My JL has been doing this since the I got it, but didn't notice it for awhile, because I always had the radio on. You can hear right at the start of the video for a second, then at 12-16 seconds and then 28-42 seconds. It does it consistently, but I can sustain it around 30-34mph when it has settled into gear and gently press the gas (that is 28-42 seconds at about 34mph) If anyone that hears it can tell me if you JL does the same or if you know what the problem is that would be great. I am about to schedule a trip to the dealer. Thanks!
Damn, sounds exactly like mine -- except mine isn't constant like yours like how you held the RPM steady around 1500-1700. How many miles on your JLUR? I started noticing mine around 3000 (8300 now). Good luck on your trip to the dealer, hope you get some solid answers that'll help all of us out!
Sponsored

BriBerk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU Granite Crystal (delivery April 2018)
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Damn, sounds exactly like mine -- except mine isn't constant like yours like how you held the RPM steady around 1500-1700. How many miles on your JLUR? I started noticing mine around 3000 (8300 now). Good luck on your trip to the dealer, hope you get some solid answers that'll help all of us out!
I am at 9100.... I noticed it pretty early on after a few thousand miles.. I like the radio on and loud....lol So, it took awhile before I heard it. But, it wasn't as bad as it is now. Thanks.. if I find anything out I will let you know... but it can't be normal

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited V6
Bump for this thread. Amazing reading the posts, you all literally are describing verbatim what's going on in my JLUS manual. Damn noise has been around since I got the car and sounds like a rattle of a diesel engine

I notice it most prominently in 2nd and 3rd gear at low RPMs under load, to agree with what everyone seems to be saying here too

Anyone have any new info?? The sound isn't a good one and I'm afraid I'm unwittingly doing damage to the car...

BriBerk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Bump for this thread. Amazing reading the posts, you all literally are describing verbatim what's going on in my JLUS manual. Damn noise has been around since I got the car and sounds like a rattle of a diesel engine

I notice it most prominently in 2nd and 3rd gear at low RPMs under load, to agree with what everyone seems to be saying here too

Anyone have any new info?? The sound isn't a good one and I'm afraid I'm unwittingly doing damage to the car...
I bring it into the dealer on Friday and I will see what happens. JeepCares opened a ticket on it. I will have to wait and see what happens. I will definitely post with an update.

Sponsored

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a GoPro video link of mine making the noise. It’s a min long but you can hear throughout lots of rattling or knocking noise under load 2nd or 3rd gear. Dropping off at dealer again in 1 hour

Last edited:

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
Keep us updated. Mine started after my first oil change. I wonder if they used the wrong weight oil. I may drain mine and put some mobile 1 synthetic in or something see if it helps.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Keep us updated. Mine started after my first oil change. I wonder if they used the wrong weight oil. I may drain mine and put some mobile 1 synthetic in or something see if it helps.
You may be on to something, mine started making that noise shortly after my first service also

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
You may be on to something, mine started making that noise shortly after my first service also
I wondered if they used the correct weight oil. I'm going to drain mine and put some good stuff in this weekend and check. If that fixes it, I'm not using the rest of my free oil changes lol.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that sounds like a gear or something spinning as it is rhythmic and constant. It might be something as simple as a loose label flapping on a driveshaft... At first I thought it was just something loose and rattling on the car somewhere. This likely will either be a real issue and will result in some failures or just be a harmonic vibration that is harmless. I would have very low expectations taking such a quiet noise in to the dealer and expecting a fix.

I do not have this issue on my jeep simply commenting on the recordings... Listen with headphones as it is very quiet in the recording.

Sponsored

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it seems quieter in the video than in person, unfortunately I placed go pro under transmission and exhaust so lot of extra noise drowning out the rattle. I do believe it’s mechanical and coming from motor( valve train) just my guess. Hoping dealer will test drive next week with chassis ears to at least pinpoint where it’s coming from.

BriBerk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Dealer visit update: took the Jeep in this morning and played the video. The only 2 things that they thought about as possibilities were the water pump, but no indication anything is wrong with it and spark knock. They said that they have had some 3.6L Cherokee’s come in with spark-knock. They didn’t want to start digging around and taking things apart just yet, so they opened up a Star case with FCA (Jeep cares had opened a file prior), they are sending the video I took to FCA and are going to seek guidance first, which makes sense. I would suggest that everyone on here should do the same and have your dealers open a Star case and also contact jeep cares in this thread to open a file and that will hopefully put some urgency into the FCA techs to investigate the issue and come up with a solution.

Last edited:

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
It’s knock. I ran 93 octane and didn’t hear it. I had the same sound in my old ford ranger 20 years ago. Figured after 20 years they’d have figured out a way to prevent this. I’ve never heard this sound in any other vehicles except for American made ones.

I’ve got the lifetime warranty so if the engine goes I guess FCA will be on the hook to put a new one in.

I’m not worried at the moment because gas mileage is good, power is good, and it seems to run smooth.

Love the Jeep, but with all these little issues here and there this will be my last. Plan to drive this one until it falls apart which may not be very long given the issues keep piling up.

Guess those millions of miles testing FCA did amounted to nothing.

D Arnett

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2.0t wrangler
Mine started this around 6500 and has gotten a little worse. Usually 2nd 3rd and 4th. And sounds like sloppy drivetrain also my steering has a high frequency light vibration at 55-60 when accelerating only them and it's not the tires lol. Dealership isn't worth a damn and I'm wondering what there gonna say. Definitely not happy with 40k invested and just hit 9k miles FML

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got 7,900 miles and started noticing it around 6,000.

I have the same sound in my 2013 Toyota Tacoma and it does it in similar situations as the JL: usually 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear and cruising at low RPMs, with very little pressure on the gas pedal. If I let off the gas or give it more gas it stops. To me it seems like frequency factors in.

If it’s any consolation, my Tacoma has 176,000 miles and it has been doing it for at least 100,000 of those.
Sponsored