Poll: Bubbles in Paint??

Do you have/had Bubbles in your paint?

• Total voters

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just a quick Poll, to see how many have/had bubbles in their paint.
If so, how long did you have it, before the bubbles appeared? Also, where on the Wrangler, did the Bubbles appear?
If not, how long have you survived, without getting any bubbles under the paint?
Out of curiosity, what color is your jeep?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine started after about 1 3/4 years after ownership.
Both hood hinges and two door hinges.
Firecracker Red

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is almost 4 years old now, and never had this appear until recently. I didn't notice until after winter when I did some intimate cleaning, but I have some bubbling around door hinges and near the bottom of the doors.

It's not bad, but I don't like it. 😭 Not sure what I'm going to do about it though...

Edit: mine is granite crystal

Last edited:

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
None yet,but mine is only 6 months old and garaged. My Sting gray has poor coverage around the edge of about half of the door hinges.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More with bubbles, than without, so far. Hopefully more members will chime in.

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Hella Yella
I have a 2019 Hella Yella and noticed this about 2 years after owning the Jeep. I waited to see if it got worse as I was nearing the 3 year mark and it is on every door and tailgate.

jeep drags their feet on fixing this known problem. Maybe we need a class action lawsuit.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2019 Hella Yella and noticed this about 2 years after owning the Jeep. I waited to see if it got worse as I was nearing the 3 year mark and it is on every door and tailgate.

jeep drags their feet on fixing this known problem. Maybe we need a class action lawsuit.
I would just be happy for them to take the hinges off, fix what they find underneath, put a gasket barrier between everything, and repaint effected areas. I'm not asking much.

Lucky dog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I have bubbles on the edges of the hood, on the rear passenger door (near the hinges), as well as a couple of bubbles on some of the hinges. I just noticed them after 3 years of ownership. My car is white.

Also worth noting that I brought the car into the dealer to see if this would be covered under warranty and Jeep did approve for these issues to be fixed at a body shop.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have bubbles on the edges of the hood, on the rear passenger door (near the hinges), as well as a couple of bubbles on some of the hinges. I just noticed them after 3 years of ownership. My car is white.

Also worth noting that I brought the car into the dealer to see if this would be covered under warranty and Jeep did approve for these issues to be fixed at a body shop.
That's good news, for those of us who are past their warranty.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Got my October-build Mojito '18 JL in July of '19. I noticed bubbling by one hinge on each door after this winter, so closing in on three years of ownership but only 19K miles. Haven't had time to go to the dealer yet to see what (if anything) they'll do about it.

Tski

First Name
Tonia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Just a quick Poll, to see how many have/had bubbles in their paint.
If so, how long did you have it, before the bubbles appeared? Also, where on the Wrangler, did the Bubbles appear?
If not, how long have you survived, without getting any bubbles under the paint?
Out of curiosity, what color is your jeep?
I have a 2019 wrangler, Hella Yella. Noticed the bubbles last week on two doors, all hinges and hood and it'll cost over 5k to repaint. The problem is, unless these aluminum parts are replaced with steel or maybe coated somehow, this will happen again. On top of that, repainted jeeps lose some value. There's a class action lawsuit regarding this.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I have a 2019 wrangler, Hella Yella. Noticed the bubbles last week on two doors, all hinges and hood and it'll cost over 5k to repaint. The problem is, unless these aluminum parts are replaced with steel or maybe coated somehow, this will happen again. On top of that, repainted jeeps lose some value. There's a class action lawsuit regarding this.
It should be covered under the 5yr / unlimited mileage corrosion.

fcnacht1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
From what I understand about this issue - Jeep decided to use aluminum for the door panels, and then went with steel hinges. Apparently, they never thought to put a barrier between the 2 unlike metals and voila - a galvanic cell. The problem isn't going to stop on its own - you will need to get the problem corrected and then modify a permanent fix or else it will start all over again. I just got my 2018 JLU back from the dealership. They were well aware of the problem and told me that I was covered for 5 years and unlimited mileage under corrosion protection. This issue is going to cost Chrysler (Stellantis) a small fortune in warranty repair costs. Go to your dealers guys - this should be covered! Good luck.

My Jeep is almost 4 years old now, and never had this appear until recently. I didn't notice until after winter when I did some intimate cleaning, but I have some bubbling around door hinges and near the bottom of the doors.

It's not bad, but I don't like it. 😭 Not sure what I'm going to do about it though...

Edit: mine is granite crystal
Sponsored