CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
So question for anyone in the know of the warranty process;

I just finished with Jeep cares, I have warranty for until June this year. However, I may be moving to a different city in the next month to mid May. Would I be able to schedule a trip to the dealer knowing that it’s already approved after the warranty expires?

The last time I spoke to my dealer, they explained to me that the turnaround can be anywhere from one month to six months which felt a little ridiculous.

Edit:

Worst case for example if it doesn’t get “fixed” what’s the worst that happens, flaked paint?

also, has anyone also bedlined the exterior? Might wanna do that if dealers take too long and throw me around once I move.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zach@Granger

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Occupation
Car Dealer
Hey Gabriel,

When it comes to warranties and the expiration date, it can be tricky. Sometimes it's under dealer discretion on if they want to do the work knowing that it could take months to get it fixed as well, but since the dealer in your current city has the claim approved (before it expires) the issue would need to be fixed there. If the challenge is with you moving to a different city, the claim process would need to go through them and they would need to create another claim and get it approved at their dealership. This would need to be submitted and approved before the warranty expires.

Regarding the bubbles in the paint on the door hinges, it all just depends honestly. Not getting the hinges fixed could eventually lead to the hinges sticking and/or potentially showing some rust. Then again, there is just a lot of factors that play apart in what the true cause of the bubbles appearing could be.

Hopefully that helps!

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Hey Gabriel,

When it comes to warranties and the expiration date, it can be tricky. Sometimes it's under dealer discretion on if they want to do the work knowing that it could take months to get it fixed as well, but since the dealer in your current city has the claim approved (before it expires) the issue would need to be fixed there. If the challenge is with you moving to a different city, the claim process would need to go through them and they would need to create another claim and get it approved at their dealership. This would need to be submitted and approved before the warranty expires.

Regarding the bubbles in the paint on the door hinges, it all just depends honestly. Not getting the hinges fixed could eventually lead to the hinges sticking and/or potentially showing some rust. Then again, there is just a lot of factors that play apart in what the true cause of the bubbles appearing could be.

Hopefully that helps!
That actually helped a lot, so i’ll decide if i just buy some used newer doors eventually and hood or just deal with it and touch up as it flakes it if does.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Another stupid question that i’m sure someone answered in this thread. If the corrosion(cancer) is only on the hinges, how much time am I buying by swapping the stock hinges for something like a set of billet hinges?

My hood doesn’t have the bubbling around the hinges but rather on the hinge itself.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
It’s not just the hinges. I’ve had it on the front hood, and lower corners of the doors. I’ve also heard people say the rear gate, and the windshield frame are prone to it also.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

Sierra Hotel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS
Just brought my new-to-me 2020 JLU to the dealership after reading about this here and elsewhere. I actually went around my Jeep and marked every instance of corrosion with blue painter's tape. They took pics, and will "get back to me" when they hear back from Stellantis. We'll see how that goes . . .

Attached are the latest revision to the applicable TSBs. A couple of notes from the TSB:

- If the corrosion is in the hem flange of the a door, the hood, or tailgate, it must be replaced.

- corrosion evidenced on the hinges, windshield, doors (other than the hem flange) it is sanded with 80 grit. If severe pitting is present, the panel must be replaced. If not it is refinished.

- if a hinge has to be replaced, both hinges on the panel must be replaced And the must be replaced with the newly designed hinges.

some of you might not be on Facebook, but there is a moderated page there devoted to this topic with over 12,000 members. There is a lot of up to date, correct information, as well as guidance. A good resource, just search for "Jeep JL Corrosion Warranty Resource Information". You don't have to join it, you can read the entire page).

wish me luck on my journey . . .

Attachments

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Just brought my new-to-me 2020 JLU to the dealership after reading about this here and elsewhere. I actually went around my Jeep and marked every instance of corrosion with blue painter's tape. They took pics, and will "get back to me" when they hear back from Stellantis. We'll see how that goes . . .

Attached are the latest revision to the applicable TSBs. A couple of notes from the TSB:

- If the corrosion is in the hem flange of the a door, the hood, or tailgate, it must be replaced.

- corrosion evidenced on the hinges, windshield, doors (other than the hem flange) it is sanded with 80 grit. If severe pitting is present, the panel must be replaced. If not it is refinished.

- if a hinge has to be replaced, both hinges on the panel must be replaced And the must be replaced with the newly designed hinges.

some of you might not be on Facebook, but there is a moderated page there devoted to this topic with over 12,000 members. There is a lot of up to date, correct information, as well as guidance. A good resource, just search for "Jeep JL Corrosion Warranty Resource Information". You don't have to join it, you can read the entire page).

wish me luck on my journey . . .
https://www.facebook.com/groups/975754000356535/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT
Sponsored