• Total voters

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I have a 2019 wrangler, Hella Yella. Noticed the bubbles last week on two doors, all hinges and hood and it'll cost over 5k to repaint.
Would like to see this estimate as that seems like an outrageous cost for what you describe. At that point I'd just sell the vehicle.

The good & bad about forums is that owners can be made aware of potential problems, but those problems can often be over-exaggerated due to the relatively low members of a forum vs actual ownership.

Reading through the various threads and topics on potential issues, I will say I've got a bit of nervousness for our '22 considering our '16 was flawless. I would have to have sold that problem-free vehicle for one that's going to have issue. But it's always a roll of the dice.
Sponsored

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
It's not rust like on a steel body panel, it's galvanic corrosion. When two dissimilar metals touch they react. You can wash and dry all you want and it won't make a difference. My JL is garaged, I wash and wax it regularly including clay barring it at least a couple times a year and I still have the bubbles starting. There needs to be a dielectric between the two metals to prevent the galvanic reaction. It would have been very easy for Jeep to install some type of very thin gasket between the steel hinges and aluminum doors and they never would have had an issue. But, some bean counter probably told them no because it would cost them 35 cents extra per vehicle.
I understand it's not rust but a different corrosion.I just ordered a product that could possibly offer at least some measure of protection.Check it out....Bullfrog Fast wax with rust blocker.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Had bubbles on doors and hood. First dealership painted both, but only addressed the bubbles on the doors, and the color match was WAY off. Fought with them to make it right for about six months and then took it to another dealer. Fixed the hood, and even got warranty to cover the mismatched paint on the doors. Still not quite the same shade as the rest of the Jeep, but close enough now that it isn't a slap in the face every time I see it.

fcnacht1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I understand it's not rust but a different corrosion.I just ordered a product that could possibly offer at least some measure of protection.Check it out....Bullfrog Fast wax with rust blocker.
I would just encourage you to keep a close eye on your doors around the hinges. Redox reactions will occur where the aluminum door and steel hinge come in contact. Water vapor in the air alone is sufficient to support the reaction. As I stated in my earlier comment my plan is to insulate the 2 metals from coming in contact. I hope the rust blocker works for you - let us know.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It's not rust like on a steel body panel, it's galvanic corrosion. When two dissimilar metals touch they react. You can wash and dry all you want and it won't make a difference. My JL is garaged, I wash and wax it regularly including clay barring it at least a couple times a year and I still have the bubbles starting. There needs to be a dielectric between the two metals to prevent the galvanic reaction. It would have been very easy for Jeep to install some type of very thin gasket between the steel hinges and aluminum doors and they never would have had an issue. But, some bean counter probably told them no because it would cost them 35 cents extra per vehicle.
All it takes is some humidity, for this to happen, and the two dissimilar metals create a small electrical current. This causes the aluminum to rust. Yes, aluminum rusts, but it is more of a white powder. The way some airlines, freight liners, and such have prevented this is to use a Sacrificial Anode. This will rust away, before your aluminium will, but they need to be replaced when worn. Not a cheap or easy thing to do, on a car. The gasket is the easiest, and cheapest way.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
You have to have a physical barrier between the hinge, and door. Wax won't do it. Some here have used different things to make a barrier. The few hinges that were fixed, on my Jeep, were given an epoxy type coverage, between the hinges, by the contracted repair shop. It's the other hinges I worry about now.
If I would just get off my lazy butt, and purchase some new bolts and touch up paint, I could knock the fix out, in a day. I here that some of the bolts like to stick, and get messed up, when removing.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently went through the process on my 2018 Rubicon. The dealer inspected, took pics, actually found a couple spots on the hinges I didn't notice (very small), Chrysler approved the claim, and the work was done. No BS from the dealer, good customer service, and got a couple recalls done while it was there, so pretty happy with the outcome.

Note the colour was perfect, the lighting for time of day I took the pics makes it look a shade different.

Before
Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: Bubbles in Paint?? 20220512_164658

After
Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: Bubbles in Paint?? 20220609_190611

Charlie686

First Name
Charlotte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I just purchased this 2020 in May of 2022 -- no bubbling except for the hood, which we noticed this weekend. Watching this and other threads for our best course of action. Have already requested input from the dealership I bought it from (Interestingly, NOT a Jeep dealer). Don't have high hopes as the verbiage in the 5 year corrosion warranty mentions it's not transferrable. Will report back any updates!

Attachments

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
White 21 Willys JLU. No bubbles. Had it about 20 months.

G.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
My started Maybe a month ago? so that's 4.5 years after delivery.
First detected on Outer rim of doors, then hinges on doors.
my Jeep is Punkn Orange.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
This will be my first and last Jeep, worst experience with a brand new car.