OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This quickly turned really cringey.
This is now a multilevel marketing thread. Can I sell you some essential oils to go along with your amsoil? ;)

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
I'm getting this back on track.

Thanks for the info regarding the Penzoil Platinum 5qt jug and the Mopar filter at Wally World. Just ordered them online and they will be here next week.

Just hitting 10K miles on ours. Figure I'd try it myself this time around.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting this back on track.

Thanks for the info regarding the Penzoil Platinum 5qt jug and the Mopar filter at Wally World. Just ordered them online and they will be here next week.

Just hitting 10K miles on ours. Figure I'd try it myself this time around.
Really easy to do. I did my first change at 1200 miles the other day. Nice having the Rubicon lift on my jlu sport. I was able to get to the oil drain plug without any jacks which is nice. First vehicle I've owned that I could do that. And nice that the filter is super easy to change without spilling oil everywhere.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
Signature Series is not API certified? Did I miss it? Why wouldn't they have their top of the line oil API certified?
Correct. Per AMSOIL:
Why doesn’t AMSOIL license all of its synthetic motor oils?
Answer: If all AMSOIL motor oils were API licensed, the company could not source new raw materials from multiple suppliers, which would greatly increase the threat of supply disruption and the likelihood of extraordinarily high prices. To solve this problem, the API must establish base stock interchange guidelines for synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too. Furthermore, licensing formulas limits the ability to quickly adopt new technologies as they are discovered; each variation from the originally licensed formula requires re-submission for complete engine testing.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. Per AMSOIL:
Why doesn’t AMSOIL license all of its synthetic motor oils?
Answer: If all AMSOIL motor oils were API licensed, the company could not source new raw materials from multiple suppliers, which would greatly increase the threat of supply disruption and the likelihood of extraordinarily high prices. To solve this problem, the API must establish base stock interchange guidelines for synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too. Furthermore, licensing formulas limits the ability to quickly adopt new technologies as they are discovered; each variation from the originally licensed formula requires re-submission for complete engine testing.
That's a new one, for me. Other companies don't seem to have this much trouble keeping up with API specs with new or adjusted formulations. Sounds like BS, honestly. Formulations change all the time, and even smaller companies don't have trouble keeping up. If Amsoil has the technical resources and abilities they claim, then they could do this easily. I think they do, but choose not to for pricing reasons, but that's just my guess. They could certainly subcontract the work, too.

Even Wallyworld Supertech, by Warren, has API certification. (It's actually very good oil.)

Ok, brakes are on. I'm not going to get started down this road again. Lol!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't either. That is why I pay under $25 for 5 quarts of 100% synthetic AMSOIL.
You are a dealer. I'll bet that's not Signature, either, but one of their lower tier oils.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
That's a new one, for me. Other companies don't seem to have this much trouble keeping up with API specs with new or adjusted formulations. Sounds like BS, honestly. Formulations change all the time, and even smaller companies don't have trouble keeping up. If Amsoil has the technical resources and abilities they claim, then they could do this easily.

Even Wallyworld Supertech, by Warren, has API certification. (It's actually very good oil.)

For the record and the curious, API has a process to interchange synthetic base stocks just as they have for other base stocks (Groups I through V are covered and that is the full breadth of base stocks)--so that cannot be the reason AND why would anyone use an oil that is not API certified, much less for 25K miles?

https://www.api.org/certification-p...sel/publications/appendix-e-rev-09-01-11.ashx

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually had to back Valvoline into a corner to get to the root of it. Someone else had already posed the question as to whether or not it "met" MS-6395, and they said it did. I asked if it actually has the manufacturer's approval, and they admitted that it doesn't.
Valvoline says it does, right her under "approvals and licenses."

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/3aa410a1-0bbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Also, here is a document from FCA itself that lists Valvoline as an approved supplier:

file:///media/fuse/drivefs-d970a3930903c93d2697b0b6f36382df/root/Documents/20135408_342_ChryslerMS6395-Supreme-05-03-13.pdf

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Amsoil is the best for one reason. It comes from..........

upload_2020-5-8_11-41-8.jpeg

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
That's a new one, for me. Other companies don't seem to have this much trouble keeping up with API specs with new or adjusted formulations. Sounds like BS, honestly. Formulations change all the time, and even smaller companies don't have trouble keeping up. If Amsoil has the technical resources and abilities they claim, then they could do this easily. I think they do, but choose not to for pricing reasons, but that's just my guess. They could certainly subcontract the work, too.

Per AMSOIL:
Is there any flexibility in manufacturing an API-licensed formula?
Answer: API licensing was originally developed for mineral-based oils, and it affords these oils more flexibility than synthetic oils. Conventional oils comprised of petroleum base stocks may use a simple program called base stock interchange for added flexibility in manufacturing and purchasing. Interchange means that by completing the proper paperwork and running a few minor tests an oil company can choose to buy these petroleum base stocks from many different suppliers. This ensures adequate supply and competitive pricing. However, synthetic base stocks are supplier specific and base stock interchange is not allowed. For example, if a formula was tested with an ester base stock from a specific supplier then only that supplier's ester can be used. Complete engine testing would be required to use that exact same ester from another supplier and is therefore not performed because of the associated costs. This inflexibility makes price negotiations with synthetic base stock suppliers very difficult and increases business risk. Supply disruptions from only one source could shut down production.

There is also something called viscosity grade read-across. Fortunately, this applies to both petroleum and synthetic base stocks, although the better cold-temperature performance of synthetics makes it more difficult to achieve in some situations. The read-across guidelines ensure that if a manufacturer properly formulates the lubricant for which all of the API tests have been performed, then the manufacturer may use that same basic formula to make more grades (i.e. 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, etc.) of the same motor oil.

Finally, there is a rule for substitutions in the Chemical Manufacturers Association (CMA) code of practice that allows a small degree of flexibility for all formulas. It allows a company to make changes to certain components in the formula with limited testing and paperwork requirements, provided that the additives are at the same or higher concentration.
Sponsored