Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

My 2019 JL Sport S has been rock solid so far. V6 (non-etorque), auto, Dana 44 in rear with LSD, tow/HD electrical, so very similar to your plans. No mods to drivetrain/suspension; running 31.5 Goodyear ATs.

When it was new it had a one-time slow boot on the head unit; perfect since. It came with the aluminum steering box (AD version) which was not horrible, but had more dead spot than I liked, so I had the TSB done...steering now excellent.

The JL is my DD, and there is something to be said for keeping it light weight and nearly stock...it is nimble, decent hp to weight ratio, and is simply a blast to drive...kinda like a CJ with a little injection of Miata. :LOL:

Like you, I have a vintage Jeep as well...btw, great lookin CJ-5! :like:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
My 2018 now approaching 56k miles has been very reliable which still makes absolutely no sense to me. I couldn't get a JK to last 10,000 miles without some kind of critical mechanical failure.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Since you said you have owned Jeeps in the past, you have a good understanding of what you are getting into with a new Jeep. While it isn't like owning a Honda or Toyota, a new Jeep will have a warranty too. Of the 5 Wranglers I have owned over the years, my TJ gave me the most issues honestly! Bad PCM's were the main issues with both TJs. My JK had zero issues over 8 years of ownership besides air bag recalls. So far the JL has been great too. Enjoy your new Jeep.

News2me

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 JKU Saraha Backcountry
Long-time Jeeper here, but new to this site and in the process of ordering a new 2-door JL Sport with soft top. I plan to use it in stock configuration for the most part, as a daily driver, beach cruiser, and light/medium off-road machine...mostly on trails and flat-ish desert (no rock crawling or mudding). Before I pull the trigger, just trying to get an idea of how reliable this model has been for most folks. I've already read a ton about the steering and clutch issues, and know about the vehicles ratings from the usual suspects (C&D, Edmunds, etc.). However, I take the most stock in user experience, and just wanted to see what others think before I proceed. Certainly, I realize this is a very open-ended question and will likely end up with numerous subjective comments, but that's exactly what I need to see. Appreciate anything you can provide and look forward to contributing to this forum in the future.
Maybe I have just been lucky but I've never had any real issues at all. My two JKU's both had front axel seals go out around 75,000 miles but that's it. I now have a 2019 Rubicon with just under 25,000 miles and again, have not had any issues. Except the cracked windshield at 1,000 miles!

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Long-time Jeeper here, but new to this site and in the process of ordering a new 2-door JL Sport with soft top. I plan to use it in stock configuration for the most part, as a daily driver, beach cruiser, and light/medium off-road machine...mostly on trails and flat-ish desert (no rock crawling or mudding). Before I pull the trigger, just trying to get an idea of how reliable this model has been for most folks. I've already read a ton about the steering and clutch issues, and know about the vehicles ratings from the usual suspects (C&D, Edmunds, etc.). However, I take the most stock in user experience, and just wanted to see what others think before I proceed. Certainly, I realize this is a very open-ended question and will likely end up with numerous subjective comments, but that's exactly what I need to see. Appreciate anything you can provide and look forward to contributing to this forum in the future.
I have a 2020 JLUR auto V6 that is 6 months old and under 6k miles. It has been in the shop more then 45 days with numbers electronic issues that are so bad FCA can’t find the cause and is buying it back.

There are a substantial number of owners that are experiencing electrical problems besides me. Just do a search here on this site and dozens of threads will turn up.

All that said I am planning on getting 2021 JLUR once all is said and done. Though I am not going to touch one of the new V6 with eTorque. Way to mechanically and electronically over complicated for the long run to own once out of warranty so the standard 4 turbo auto is my only choice. Not happy about that, but what else can one do, maybe buy a Bronco.....

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have a 20' Rubi 2-door and the only dependability issue I had was within a couple days of taking delivery the dash lit up stating 'Pull over safely and stop as vehicle will turn off soon'...Turned out to be a loose ground at the ESS relay. Rock solid in the 10,000+ miles since. I did replace the aluminum steering gearbox for the iron unit per TSB (big improvement!) but 21's already come with the iron steering gearbox.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If you look at an objective source, like Consumer Reports, you will see that Jeep is not considered an especially reliable vehicle. That said, I'm on my 11th new one - no major issues among them. My most wrung out JK had just north of 60K miles with nothing critical going wrong.

I just sold my JK Hard Rock for 60% of what I paid for it, and that includes $6K of mods (without the mods, I got 79%). It was five years old. Take that, Toyota!

So....while not known for its reliability, the overall ownership experience tends to be very rewarding.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
20k miles, no problems except for the crap visor mount (easy DIY fix though), and the new cast iron steering box (steering was good w/ original box except a couple long hot drives where it got sloppy), and the steering stabilizer recall.

Would get one again in a quick second!

But if I were to order it all over again I'd be sure to get the Dana 44 Anti-spin option for the rear. For about $500 you get the stouter differential/axles w/ LSD and better offroad tires vs. the soccer-mom base Michelins.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
'20 JLR, love driving and exploring forest service and blm roads all over Oregon. Have a tad over 60,000 miles on it. Purchased March 1st 2020. I am 77 and have owned lately '18 4runner trd pro, '16 tacoma 4x4 off road, '08 FJ cruiser, all bought brand new. The JL is fully loaded with led lights, steel bumpers, remote, 8.4, leather, cold weather package, advance safety group, everything. It has been by far the most trouble free. It has had nothing but oil, filter and gear oil changes and tire rotations by me in my own shop. Don't fall for all the crap on the internet. for every problem brought here there are hundreds of us out here with my experience. Another thing; the electronics is so much better then the toys, for instance every increment advance or decrease press on CC or ACC is counted accurately every time, not on the toys. The navigation is far superior. The app screens allowing access to owners manual, 4WD pages, not to mention the setup pages allowing YOU to choose the way you want it to work, etc, etc. In the past I have owned CJs and TJs, corvettes, mustangs and many "pedestrian" drivers. The JL is one hell of a product for the price with features only dreamed of just a few years ago.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Loving the great feedback here. I guess my only concern is how much maintenance that eTorque engine is going to require after the warranty ends. Coming from a 1980 CJ-5 with the stock 4.2L I-6, I am clearly not proficient enough to do anything more than changing oil. Unfortunately, my wife prefers the automatic trans, so my only other option is the 4-cyl, which may not be so great for towing.

4xFUN...when your ESS failed, could you still use the disable button to disengage it and just let the engine run like normal? Seems like that would be the logical approach until you could get the ESS repaired...if you'd even want to. While the ESS on the eTorque engine is smooth and almost unnoticeable, I'd rather not have it on the other available engines.

blnewt...agree 100% about the anti-slip diff and the D44 axle. I know there's been a lot of discussion about that differential failing, but even if it does, it could be replaced with something better, and we'll still retain a good axle. On that note, I recently asked a 30-year Jeep technician about why that anti-slip diff has such a bad rap. He stated that it is actually an excellent diff, but almost all of the failures he's seen were caused by drivers letting their rear wheels excessively spin out in soft sand, snow, etc. Obviously, you can't always avoid this, but his advice was to just keep it at a minimum, and the diff will last a long time.

Last edited:

dave_p

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-Door
There's another active thread right now about a recall of all of the manual JLs, which includes my new and first jeep, which I ordered in early November and now won't get til the last week of March soonest. That is five months (was estimated 6-8wks). I got a manual transmission partly on the advice that they have simple designs and are less problematic than automatics. So that hasn't worked out so far.
I was also careful not to order the first model year - would think after 3 or 4 years they have the kinks worked out.
I'm not thrilled.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
2018 JLU Sport S. No mods, other than swapping out tires/wheels and suspension of a Rubicon. No issues there . Buuuuuuttt, there were a few issues I had to take care of, and its been in the shop two weeks, so far, with a few, waiting on parts.
1. A/C control panel crapped out. Replaced.
2. Intelligent Battery Sensor(IBS) went out. Replaced.
3. Rear Window Defrost cable came off. Still trying to get it fixed. Second attempt.
4. Bubbling under paint, around hood hinge. Repainted entire hood. FCA didnt prime hood.
5. Steering box replaced.
6. Two pulleys replaced( well, waiting on one now. Still in shop).

Now, when I get it back, I wonder how long it will take for all the door hinges to start corroding. Well, not the hinges, but the doors attached to the hinges. FCA doesnt understand basic Galvanic Corrosion principles.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Per dave-p's discussion about engines above...is 2021 the first year with the 6-cyl eTorque engine in the JL? I thought this was at least offered in 2020, if not earlier. I've seen no complaints or issues, even in other vehicles, so just curious if anyone here has any to report. Despite it's complexity, it seems like a pretty reliable engine.
Sponsored

Last edited: