Sponsored

Ordering a JL today... resale value?

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I'm looking at ordering either a sport or sport s today. I've decided that I can live without heated seats and will eventually add remote start aftermarket. Will ordering a regular sport lead to a much less resale value though? Or on the other hand, will I get less resale from getting all of the gizmos on a sport s?

Would it be foolish of me to order one over the other in terms of upfront cost versus resale value?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If was ordering, I’d go with everything up front from the factory. For warranty purposes alone, I’d want my remote start and heated seats to be installed at the factory. Wranglers hold their value extremely well over time, so resale value isn’t an issue in my opinion.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Some things are easy to add later. I am not sure if remote start is one of them. I would order it up front.

Jeeps hold there stock resale value well. You are unlikely to recover much value on your modifications, however.

Power windows and A/C come with the Sport S. Are you sure you don't want these?

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I prefer factory installed, they are almost always more reliable long term. For a cost perspective the Sport is the better deal for resale long term. (you will lose less money). The Sport S is $3200 more, plus you are forced to get the technology package for $995, heated seats force you to buy $395 convenience package. So heated seated seats/remote start and S package feature will cost you extra almost $5600. I guarantee you that Sport S a couple years down the road, isn't going to worth any where near $5600 more than a Sport. That being said, I like features of the Sport S, I want power windows, leather steering wheel, the upgrade radio, and heated seats. I don't want steel wheels.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
You are unlikely to recover much value on your modifications, however.

Power windows and A/C come with the Sport S. Are you sure you don't want these?
A/C is standard on the JLU sport, and optional on the JL sport ($1295).

Good point about the modifications, if you do a bunch of modification to a Sport to add the features of the Sport S, (ie Wheels, heated seats, aftermarket remote start, upgraded radio) Those modifications are worth pennies on the dollar if even that in terms of resale value.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I don't want steel wheels.
The steel wheels were the only thing I didn't like about my JLUS, so I bought some Rubicon takeoffs from another forum member. The Rubi wheels look much nicer than the Sport S wheels.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would order the remote starter and whatever else so you have peace of mind. I have seen and heard of dealers denying warranty for stuff spliced into the factory wiring. I would also order the tow package for the factory AUX switches.

I would definitely get A/C if resale is even remotely a consideration.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Current Carvana offer on my 2018 JLU sport with 21.5k miles is $37,302. MSRP when new was $32,285. I shouldn't have looked it up, I may have to sell it now.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I prefer factory installed, they are almost always more reliable long term. For a cost perspective the Sport is the better deal for resale long term. (you will lose less money). The Sport S is $3200 more, plus you are forced to get the technology package for $995, heated seats force you to buy $395 convenience package. So heated seated seats/remote start and S package feature will cost you extra almost $5600. I guarantee you that Sport S a couple years down the road, isn't going to worth any where near $5600 more than a Sport. That being said, I like features of the Sport S, I want power windows, leather steering wheel, the upgrade radio, and heated seats. I don't want steel wheels.
I haven't checked your calculations. However there are limits to this line of thought.

When the OP starts to drive his Jeep on a regular basis, he will miss some of the features that are not included in the base Sport model. The financial aspect of the purchase should be balanced with the fact that he will be driving the vehicle on a regular basis.

Most of us don't think of Jeeps as good financial investments. We love them because they are a lot of fun.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Current Carvana offer on my 2018 JLU sport with 21.5k miles is $37,302. MSRP when new was $32,285. I shouldn't have looked it up, I may have to sell it now.
What will you replace it with? We haven't seen the prices for the 2022 models yet. There may be some surprises there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Correct me if I'm wrong but online I was able to delete the tech package and go with the U Connect 3

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Two general rules come into play here for me.

1. If I'm buying a new car, I want to buy it like I'm going to drive it, if at all possible. Buying a new vehicle and then spending $$$ adding things that I could have just had from the factory doesn't make sense - you miss the warranty, etc.*

2. If I'm buying a used car, I usually don't factor in mods, because it's likely that I'm going to want to replace them with my own anyways. Mods generally do not add value to a vehicle, and usually don't get factored in when using the various search filters on sites like Autotrader, etc.

*this is specific to *new* cars. If I'm buying used, then I'm OK with adding things myself.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm looking at ordering either a sport or sport s today. I've decided that I can live without heated seats and will eventually add remote start aftermarket.

Will ordering a regular sport lead to a much less resale value though? Or on the other hand, will I get less resale from getting all of the gizmos on a sport s?
The Sport has manual windows and door locks, meaning it also has a buttonless key fob. The latter is incompatible with aftermarket remote engine start kits that usually require a power door lock button on a fob when programming and/or operating the kit's features. Just an FYI.

Having sold vehicles privately, I can tell you that factory options and aftermarket modifications have little practical effect on resale value. Said differently: what I like isn't always what the buyer wants. I'd encourage you to order your new Wrangler with precisely what you want on it, and nothing you don't want, unless one of your must-have features requires the purchase of a "package" to get said feature.

Wranglers in particular are well known for maintaining excellent resale value, so that's something that doesn't require too much worrying about.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The Sport has manual windows and door locks, meaning it also has a buttonless key fob. The latter is incompatible with aftermarket remote engine start kits that usually require a power door lock button on a fob when programming and/or operating the kit's features.
Having a Sport with manual locks will not prevent the install of a remote start kit. You can get a remote start kit with it's own fob.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Having a Sport with manual locks will not prevent the install of a remote start kit. You can get a remote start kit with it's own fob.
Possibly. I've only investigated plug-and-play solutions for the Wrangler. Those kits that include their own fob require significant wiring work during the installation.
Sponsored