JL rubi resale value compared to TJ/JK

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’ve read numerous posts about how the JL is not going to hold its resale value like the TJ/JK due to dealers offering huge discounts on them.
I sure hope this isn’t the case. I opted for a fully loaded JLU rubicon and I hope it holds decent value in the future.
Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I’ve read numerous posts about how the JL is not going to hold its resale value like the TJ/JK due to dealers offering huge discounts on them.
I sure hope this isn’t the case. I opted for a fully loaded JLU rubicon and I hope it holds decent value in the future.
People who presume to confidently predict the future are uniformly morons, in my experience.
I confidently predict that will prove to be the case here as well.
Uh...no, wait...

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you have to worry George. The resale prices on the east coast are so high it steered me into buying a new one. i.e. I drove a '16 Sahara fairly optioned with leather interior with 54K miles. It was prices at 33,900. I could have probably talked them down 1500, maybe. The price of my '19 Sahara, loaded with leather with 4 miles was $44,800. I just couldn't see buying used when the difference was only 3% plus some change higher. I think you'll be fine.

And, it's never a good idea to worry about resale values after we already have the Jeep in the driveway. All that does is take the fun out of the whole idea of owning a Jeep in the first place.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
No one could possibly know that, and generally speaking the negative threads are almost always from JK (or older) owners.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I don't think you have to worry George. The resale prices on the east coast are so high it steered me into buying a new one. i.e. I drove a '16 Sahara fairly optioned with leather interior with 54K miles. It was prices at 33,900. I could have probably talked them down 1500, maybe. The price of my '19 Sahara, loaded with leather with 4 miles was $44,800. I just couldn't see buying used when the difference was only 3% plus some change higher. I think you'll be fine.

And, it's never a good idea to worry about resale values after we already have the Jeep in the driveway. All that does is take the fun out of the whole idea of owning a Jeep in the first place.
The difference between $33.9 and $44.8 is not 3%. It’s more than 25%.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
For me, resale value means trading/selling after way more time than the JL's have been around. We'll have to wait years for a real answer to this question.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
For me, resale value means trading/selling after way more time than the JL's have been around. We'll have to wait years for a real answer to this question.
Exactly! We didn't walk into ours thinking about resale down the road. We BOUGHT a JEEP. It is what it is. We have loved our TJ, and now we own a JL. So be it. We're going to ride this beast for what it's worth! :)

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I am seeing TJ/LJ going for more than 07-11JK’s here in Texas. The market is saturated with JK’s so the price has come down. You could buy a SE 4cyl TJ for $5k. Now they are $7500 and sixes are $10K+. You still can find some under $10K but I have seen LJ’s for close to $20. JL will hold the market until it gets saturated.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The real reason this matters is because 6-10 years from now, the price of a 2018/19 JL driven lightly by a soccer mom for a few years will matter to the Jeepers who beat theirs to death. Or, for someone to use as the base for a rock crawler or sand buggy.

I am seeing TJ/LJ going for more than 07-11JK’s here in Texas. The market is saturated with JK’s so the price has come down. You could buy a SE 4cyl TJ for $5k. Now they are $7500 and sixes are $10K+. You still can find some under $10K but I have seen LJ’s for close to $20. JL will hold the market until it gets saturated.
The economics of nostalgia are fairly irrational, and unpredictable.

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
If you are in a JL... sell early (now) before saturation or wait until after the next iteration comes out (JX?)...

I have a JK. I like it, but it's not a TJ and it's not a JL. I am surprised that the JK is bringing as much as it does.

Bought an 01 TJ in 2015 for 7K. Put about 5K into it in real upgrades. Sold it two weeks ago for 11K. Thats 1K cost for three years of driving. I'd do that all day long...

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It’s really too soon to tell.

People used to join Tread Lightly to get 1% below invoice because that was the best price as most dealers wouldn’t discount a Wrangler otherwise. Now we have dealers advertising 10% below invoice. That’s a huge swing. So yes it’s likely the steep discounting will play a role in higher depreciation on the JL.

FCA has also taken a page out of the Germans playbook by making everything ala cart. Optional equipment doesn’t hold monetary value; so the more options you select the steeper the depreciation curve.

A fully loaded Rubicon will lose the most value. The higher the price, the farther the drop.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
That's because they are rusting and falling apart. So not too many "good" TJs around. The expensive ones are is the SW where rust isn't common. Me, I traded my TJ in on my JL. I was happy getting 9k on a 15 year old vehicle.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I sold an 1981 short bed Chevy plain jane to a car dealer up north because there was no rust. They came down and got the vehicle and paid me a premium for it. My TJ is a Texas vehicle and have had it 22 years. It is rust free except where I have beat the axles and repainted.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
That's because they are rusting and falling apart. So not too many "good" TJs around. The expensive ones are is the SW where rust isn't common. Me, I traded my TJ in on my JL. I was happy getting 9k on a 15 year old vehicle.
Exactly! We have an AZ TJ, no Rust! She'll be on the market soon. Amazing what folks can get for the older Jeeps. :)

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
When I got my JLU last year I sold my stock '08 JKUX, with 130k miles driven on Detroit's salty-winter streets, for $13K+. That's over 40% of original sticker after ten years. Maybe the market got saturated after that.

The larger point is what many others are saying. It's way to early to predict resale on a 1 1/2 year old vehicle when one of the vehicle lines the OP is comparing it to started production 23 years ago, to say nothing (ok, little) of annual/seasonal fluctuations.
Sponsored