Resale value in regear

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Regear only if you want it regeared. Don’t expect to get a return on your investment. In fact, you won’t get anything for accessories usually. In today’s world ,blue books and online guides set pricing. They consider year, mileage, and original options.
That doesn’t mean you can’t seek out that one special buyer though. They might see the value, but you will invest in time seeking them out.
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
There's a used dealer in my area that ruins.. err... "builds" custom wranglers. Looking at the most expensive one on there site, it says nothing about gears. I'm guessing if gears helped the value, they'd do it. I'm also going to take a stretch and guess that most people that would care about gears are not the ones buying jeeps already lifted. If I was going to buy a jeep and lift it, I don't want someone else's that may or may not have been done right. I'd want to start as factory as possible and then do my own lift/gears/etc.

Here's the jeep I mentioned: https://www.bayshoreautomotive.com/...ICON-LEATHER-38"-NITTO--Florida-33605/6490420

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
You will most likely lose money when you sell as most people will want to do or have done their own mods. They have control over who dose it and the brand of parts used.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
There's a used dealer in my area that ruins.. err... "builds" custom wranglers. Looking at the most expensive one on there site, it says nothing about gears. I'm guessing if gears helped the value, they'd do it. I'm also going to take a stretch and guess that most people that would care about gears are not the ones buying jeeps already lifted. If I was going to buy a jeep and lift it, I don't want someone else's that may or may not have been done right. I'd want to start as factory as possible and then do my own lift/gears/etc.

Here's the jeep I mentioned: https://www.bayshoreautomotive.com/2018-Jeep-All-New-Wrangler-Unlimited-JL-GRUMPER-CUSTOM-RUBICON-LEATHER-38"-NITTO--Florida-33605/6490420
Some nitwit thinks that things cool. Maybe even tooling around on this site too.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
29 pounds isn't a heavy rim. Stock is probably close to that.

You won't feel much difference between 4.10 and 4.56 gears. They are very similar in size.

When you regear, although the number is higher, the gears are actually shorter/smaller. Smaller gears take less rotation to make a larger tire spin. With your manual trans it will cause the need to shift earlier. If you go short in the gears it can cause 1st and 2nd gears to be basically useless/you will be shifting at 5 and 10 mph. This won't be the case with 4.56 but it will be sooner, it does not make the jeep faster or give added power.
I still start in 1st and run it to about 3k rpms or 10mph before going to 2nd and 20 mph. That’s with 5.13. I will agree going from 4.10 to 4.56 wouldn’t justify the expense for the slight improvement in performance.

Brett

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I still start in 1st and run it to about 3k rpms or 10mph before going to 2nd and 20 mph. That’s with 5.13. I will agree going from 4.10 to 4.56 wouldn’t justify the expense for the slight improvement in performance.

Brett
The speed/shift points were guestimates to express the shift points would be quick. The OP is only running 35s so shifting would be a little quicker than yours. Personally I don't think a regear is necessary with 35s and 4.10 gears but to each their own. That is what makes jeeps fun.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
The speed/shift points were guestimates to express the shift points would be quick. The OP is only running 35s so shifting would be a little quicker than yours. Personally I don't think a regear is necessary with 35s and 4.10 gears but to each their own. That is what makes jeeps fun.
It must be me because plenty of folks running 35s and don’t have an issue. It just seems sluggish to me. Could be the E rated heavy tires. I thought about switching to 315 ko2. But going back to stock for a while seems best. Wish I could test out tires but you can’t.

Sponsored

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I don't plan to get much $$$ back from doing a regear so I plan to do it myself. It looks like it will take 3-4 hours for each axle. Parts will cost ~$500.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I don't plan to get much $$$ back from doing a regear so I plan to do it myself. It looks like it will take 3-4 hours for each axle. Parts will cost ~$500.
The cheapest you can find the parts for a JL is over $1,000.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Man it’s hard to say with 35s, the 6 speed is geared kinda funky for highway. With my tires it was terrible with the 4.10s, it came home on 37s so I never drove it on stock tires.

Where in the world are you getting those prices and what does that include? Don’t leave out the master install kits even though you don’t need most the stuff. If you’re getting f/r ring and pinion and f/r master install kits for that price I’ll be ordering a ton of them.

The cheapest you can find the parts for a JL is over $1,000.
Yup, I buy from north ridge. Even for me it’s hard to beat their price. I’ll be trying some G2 gears on my wife’s Jeep more than likely and will offer them as long as they are comparable to the Dana spricer

Brett

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
just curious if this is a mod that will have value in resale?
Condition, condition, condition. mods are second or third order factors to many buyers.

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I'm just going off the price for a 2 sets of ring and pinion gears. The schims I can find, oil isn't too pricey. I do need another crush sleeve. I'm not buying (2) master rebuild kits.....way too pricey and don't need most of those items. Still in the early stages so don't scream liar/fake news just yet. It maid logical sense to my nuclear/chemical engineering mind that the vast majority of the cost would be the ring and pinions.....maybe I am mistaken....... it has happened once before my second year in high school.
Sponsored